Kristinka Hair and Arnold ?

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
AmiCGIgirl

Kristinka Hair and Arnold ?

Post by AmiCGIgirl » 18 Feb 2022, 15:46

Hi everyone,

I am new to Softimage and I've been trying to get my head round this stuff. I'd like to create some hair for a character and I came across the Kristinka addon which seems like it might work for me. Is it possible to render the ICE strands produced by the Kristinka addon with Arnold? From what I have read here it seems as if it should be possible but I honestly can't figure out how to do it because I simply don't understand enough about Softimage, ICE and other rendering engines such as Arnold but I'm trying to learn. Can anyone tell or show me what I need to do in order to render Kristinka strands using Arnold as the render engine? Lastly, I apologize if I am asking my question in the wrong area of this forum. I couldn't decide if I should ask in the ICE section or the Rendering section.... LOL ! Also I hope you will forgive me if my question seems dumb but I'm an artist not a "technical" person per se so I hope you will understand that I'm feeling really overwhelmed here in the deep end :-) Thanks in advance for your help !

Cheers,

Ami

opoppopopp

Re: Kristinka Hair and Arnold ?

Post by opoppopopp » 18 Feb 2022, 21:32

Try render standard ICE strands (any factory example scene with strands) with Arnold.
Try render Kristinka generated strands (Kristinka example scene) with default render.

Either one will help to understand ICE Strand or Arnold, so that you won't be overwhelmed.
After you narrow down a specific problem, people here can help you better.

AmiCGIgirl

Post by AmiCGIgirl » 18 Feb 2022, 23:49

Sigh :-/ I just wrote a long reply but I shall not bother to post it. Let's just say I'm feeling extremely frustrated.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 20 Feb 2022, 18:35

:-\
Don't give up so easily... It might take some time to get to a satisfying answer, especially on a nearly dead forum like this one! ^#(^
I have no access to (and thus experience with) Arnold myself...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

AmiCGIgirl

Post by AmiCGIgirl » 20 Feb 2022, 20:10

Hirazi Blue wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 18:35 :-\
Don't give up so easily... It might take some time to get to a satisfying answer, especially on a nearly dead forum like this one! ^#(^
I have no access to (and thus experience with) Arnold myself...
Thank you for your kind reply, you don't know how much I appreciate it ! The thing is that I have done all of the things that other person recommended in their post and I don't just show up on forums asking questions before I've done my research. So I hope that person is really proud of themselves for actually bringing me to tears with their comment, well done! All I'm trying to do is learn and the effort that person put into giving me some "advice" could have been much better spent simply telling me how to achieve what I was asking (If they even know themselves). I see no point in going round in endless circles trying to figure something out that I don't understand (and doesn't appear to be well documented anywhere) when someone could simply hold my hand a little bit and step me through the process. Oh well, no big deal.

Cheers,

Ami

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 20 Feb 2022, 20:28

Here's a "long-shot": post your question here.
Stephen Blair was the number one support guy of Softimage and later Arnold (I don't know if he still is) and has always been extremely friendly/helpful, assuming he still visits his own blog occasionally...

AmiCGIgirl

Post by AmiCGIgirl » 20 Feb 2022, 21:17

Oh thanks ever so much Hirazi Blue, great suggestion !

Cheers,

Ami

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 20 Feb 2022, 21:57

And there's always the Softimage Mailing List
Not much traffic these days, but also worth a shot...

AmiCGIgirl

Post by AmiCGIgirl » 21 Feb 2022, 13:31

Hirazi Blue wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 21:57 And there's always the Softimage Mailing List
Not much traffic these days, but also worth a shot...
Thank you Hirazi Blue, I will have a look into that also !

Cheers,

Ami

:-)