SItoA-6.1.0

New plugins, tools etc.
Jenus

SItoA-6.1.0

Post by Jenus » 20 Jan 2021, 23:37

I've created a new SItoA-6.1.0 version based on the latest Arnold core version 6.1.0.1. I noticed I haven't posted the minor 6.0.x versions so here's a complete changelog since SItoA-6.0.0
You can download it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d5c7nc19081xs ... addon?dl=0
If you find any issues, please report them to Github here: https://github.com/Autodesk/sitoa/issues

New features
  • Imagers - Use the dummy shader imager to connect imager_* nodes as Pass and/or Camera LensShaders. Will only use one LensShader slot but you can connect several imagers together. It also properly handles the Pass OverrideCameraLensShaders option.
  • Dielectric Priorites in standard_surface and global render option.
  • add_transparency added to mix_shader
  • rim_light_tint added to toon
  • aov_prefix added to toon
  • Default value of options.texture_max_memory_MB increased from 2048 to 4096
  • Reorganized Sampling tab to better match other Arnold plugins.
  • New operator string_replace
  • Added radial_distortion and lens_tilt to Arnold Camera
  • Added override_nodes, auto_instancing and namespace to Arnold Procedural
  • Optical Shift is now using lens_shift instead of screen_window on persp_cameras
Bugfixes
  • Fixed crash with Array Switch shaders
  • Fixed bug in addon packaging script not creating directories.
Incompatible Changes
  • Hidden lights are no longer exported to Arnold, including to .ass files.
It would be nice to know how many people are actually using SItoA these days so please let me know. Thanks!

Firebird

Re: SItoA-6.1.0

Post by Firebird » 21 Jan 2021, 13:10

Hey
wow thanks for that, still going on. :D
It would be nice to know how many people are actually using SItoA these days so please let me know. Thanks!
I use it as a fallback, when I can´t do it, or wont have the time to do it in Houdini.
So still a high value Plugin for me to have a matching Arnold version.

Actually right now I am using Softimage again to bring tracked camera data to UE4, as its much easier for me to work with constraining, blending, cleaning and stuff in XSI,basically plotting animation data for export.

And being able to render also in XSI is a big +.
So yeah still usefull. Thanks

Jenus

Post by Jenus » 21 Jan 2021, 13:18

Firebird wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 13:10 I use it as a fallback, when I can´t do it, or wont have the time to do it in Houdini.
So still a high value Plugin for me to have a matching Arnold version.

Actually right now I am using Softimage again to bring tracked camera data to UE4, as its much easier for me to work with constraining, blending, cleaning and stuff in XSI,basically plotting animation data for export.

And being able to render also in XSI is a big +.
So yeah still usefull. Thanks
I'm very happy to hear that! It sounds like pretty much how I'm using Softimage and SItoA as well.
I have always needed to take camera tracks through Softimage before taking them in to 3ds Max before because of some stupid hardcoded "animation filtering" in 3ds Max that just removes a lot of key frames.
I also do lookdev in SItoA because it's much faster than to do it in 3ds Max and MAXtoA.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 21 Jan 2021, 18:36

i was thinking to buy it, but i have no idea how long this project is going to be updated if no on uses it, its risky for me, i play with it with watermarks but i feel like they really did an amazing job and i wanted to get a license even tho softimage isnt supported anymore, so im a bit skeptical. Thanks a lot for this version!

i was also looking for poly to volume, this isnt supported in softimage am i right?
there are so many strings left empty in this addon in softimage, i have no clue how to use them since there are no docs, is quite daunting :/

Jenus

Post by Jenus » 21 Jan 2021, 23:34

Maximus wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 18:36 i was thinking to buy it, but i have no idea how long this project is going to be updated if no on uses it, its risky for me, i play with it with watermarks but i feel like they really did an amazing job and i wanted to get a license even tho softimage isnt supported anymore, so im a bit skeptical. Thanks a lot for this version!

i was also looking for poly to volume, this isnt supported in softimage am i right?
there are so many strings left empty in this addon in softimage, i have no clue how to use them since there are no docs, is quite daunting :/
The complete documentation for SItoA 4.1.0 is available here: https://docs.arnoldrenderer.com/display ... User+Guide
To turn a poly into a volume, you simply set the volume step size on an Arnold Properties and then set standard_volume as a shader on that object and that's it. Really simple. Here's docs to Arnold Parameters https://docs.arnoldrenderer.com/display ... Parameters
After that SItoA went open source on Github so the rest of the changes and features up until SItoA 5.4.0 can be understood by reading the release notes here: https://github.com/Autodesk/sitoa/releases
Later versions of SItoA (6+) doesn't have realease notes so you have to read the pull requests on Github here: https://github.com/Autodesk/sitoa/pulls ... s%3Aclosed
I've been the main developer of SItoA since it went open source and I do development when I get time over. I know there's some features missing such as USD, Alembic and MaterialX support. The reason I haven't developed that is mainly because I don't have any files to test with. As for the future and if I will continue developing SItoA... I can't answer that. I will probably update SItoA as long as I use Softimage but I don't know for how long I'll continue to do that.
Remember that if you buy an Arnold license it will work for any Arnold plugin for any DCC.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 25 Jan 2021, 09:25

just a question, does this implementation on XSI work with gpu? i have 2x 1080 and they appear in the render system tab but when i try to render with them it just doesnt start.

Jenus

Post by Jenus » 25 Jan 2021, 20:54

Maximus wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 09:25 just a question, does this implementation on XSI work with gpu? i have 2x 1080 and they appear in the render system tab but when i try to render with them it just doesnt start.
Yes it should work with GPU if you have the correct drivers. This is the latest Arnold version so it requires very recent drivers.
The first time you render with GPU all the shaders are cached in the background. You just have to wait for that to complete. It doesn't take that long. A couple of minutes maybe. This "shader-baking" will be done when new versions of Arnold/SItoA are released or if you update the graphics driver. The actual shader cache-files are stored in %LOCALAPPDATA%\NVIDIA\OptixCache on Windows.

I3D

Post by I3D » 05 Feb 2021, 00:40

Thanks Jenus

I am hopeless, like a ship looking for a port. So still going back to XSI because I cannot for the love of me work on a DCC that just allows me to animate instead of trying to play aerobics. So thank you heaps for keeping SitoA working.

X-said

Post by X-said » 05 Feb 2021, 11:01

Yes, the increase in speed is felt.
What a pity that my video card does not support (NVIDIA Quadro K4000)
https://docs.arnoldrenderer.com/display ... orted+GPUs

I3D

Post by I3D » 06 Feb 2021, 12:00

I'm trying to get the toons shaders to work, but so far no edge, silhouette or anything is working. 1st time trying it. Hard to follow the tutorial on the site because I am not getting any toon result. Does anyone have any quick steps/guide/sample scene for me to work with?

Thank you

Jenus

Post by Jenus » 15 Feb 2021, 13:54

I3D wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 12:00 I'm trying to get the toons shaders to work, but so far no edge, silhouette or anything is working. 1st time trying it. Hard to follow the tutorial on the site because I am not getting any toon result. Does anyone have any quick steps/guide/sample scene for me to work with?

Thank you
You need to use the contour filter to get edges. Under Render Options -> Pixel Filtering -> Type, change it from gaussian to contour.

I3D

Post by I3D » 27 Feb 2021, 00:05

Thanks Jenus

YEah I figured it out by following the tutorial for C4D. I can get it to work now. Thanks for all the hard work mate.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 16 Sep 2021, 02:33

is there any updated version of this?

I3D

Post by I3D » 25 Oct 2021, 04:15

It seems there is a 6.2.1 branch, I'll see if I can compile one

I3D

Post by I3D » 25 Oct 2021, 05:46

No success there, @Jenus will need to help here https://github.com/JenusL/sitoa/tree/feat/a6.2.1

Looking at the issues from https://github.com/Autodesk/sitoa/issues it seems he'll be working on a patch for 7!!! crossing all limbs

kowy

Post by kowy » 26 Oct 2021, 13:09

any success ?