Advise on RedShift for XSI

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
Maximus

Re: Advise on RedShift for XSI

Post by Maximus » 16 Nov 2020, 17:22

mattmos wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 16:37 Really sucks :( Quite glad I don't have to share my workstation with my sons, don't know what would end up on there, but probably more paw patrol than rlm ;)

So what are you moving onto? Octane, Sycles, something completely different?
i can still use the version i have purchased from Redshift, also because basically nothing has been done on softimage since then or very little, then probably use Maxwell Render (tried version 5 and with gpu is quite great), or Blender+Cycles, or 3ds Max with Arnold, havent decided yet. there Is also Maverick render which was the old arion fryrender, which is quite impressive i must say.
Lets say there are plenty alternatives, i just want to stick with softimage as long as i can, because reaching the same level of productivity on another software is just too annoying for me at the moment. I dont like any other software, altho im good with 3ds max because .. who doesnt know 3ds max lol.

on another note its quite dumb in my opinion where this market is heading. back then you could afford a cutting edge gfx card for 500$, now we talk about thousands. I mean i think they are litterally ripping off the whole world.
Prices went up instead of down, its like the phone market when they were bashing their head to make something small so you could bring it with you, remember the first portable devices? they were as giant as a brick. then they started with Motorola Star-Tac and try to make them smaller, now they make phones as big as a tablet, whats the point?

Hardware market is the same, i just think its getting worse and worse. with 2k$ (price of a 3090) you could buy a whole rig.
Last edited by Maximus on 16 Nov 2020, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 16 Nov 2020, 17:26

Out of interest have you used fstorm for max? I'm always impressed with the arch-viz stuff I see coming out of that renderer.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 16 Nov 2020, 17:32

mattmos wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 17:26 Out of interest have you used fstorm for max? I'm always impressed with the arch-viz stuff I see coming out of that renderer.
i know fstorm, its a nice one, might do the trick too, i just have to decide whats the best workflow to stay within softimage, that said i run Redshift just fine in soft, but the moment i buy a new graphic card, it wont run anymore from what i know (another stupid thing if thats true).

if im not mistaken Redshift old versions do not work with newest hardware, im hating this company more and more, its like saying "hey guys mental ray doesnt work anymore if you upgrade your cpu", or Arnold, or Vray or any other engine.
Actually i do not know any render engine that does that.

look here https://www.redshift3d.com/forums/viewthread/33744/ the guy who asked was hirazi blue :)

quote from Panos Zampolas: "I’m afraid it’s not possible to use old versions on hardware that was released after those versions."

im speechless.