Shutting down the Softimage mailing list September 1st

New plugins, tools etc.
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Shutting down the Softimage mailing list September 1st

Post by Hirazi Blue » 13 Aug 2020, 18:08

Luc-Eric Rousseau just posted this on the Softimage Mailing List
Hi.
We think it’s time to move the Softimage discussions to its official google group.
Please go subscribe to the group if you wish to continue receiving mails after September 1st. This should not require a google account. If you do have a google account, you are also able browse and post like a message board. Stephen Blair is stepping up to admin the google group.
Around September 1st, everyone will be unsubscribed from this current mailing list.
Instructions to Subscribe
Send an email to xsi_list+subscribe@googlegroups.com
No subject or message required.
If you want to browse the group like a forum, just go to
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/xsi_list
FAQ
Why is this happening?
The old listproc server at Autodesk was recently retired, and the mailing list was moved to an Office 365 distribution list. This works ok, but it means that only an internal Autodesk list owner can add and remove people, other listproc features (like bounce handling, and digest mails) were lost, and the archive is no longer working. I think it’s better for everyone to move to an external system that’s designed for public discussions.
Is Autodesk pulling the plug on another bit of Softimage?
No, I could keep the list going but I am deciding to do this with feedback from top users. What Autodesk IT did was move the listproc server to something they support, which makes sense. But it isn’t as user-friendly for a list that meant to be a public forum.
Well, thanks Autodesk…
It’s been a pretty good run: Autodesk has run the Softimage listproc server in a virtual machine for 12 years since the acquisition. That’s over 600 “Friday Flashbacks”. :P
What if I don’t want to use Google services?
Google Group is a google service, but you do not require a google account to subscribe to the group and receive mails and therefore can remain semi-anonymous. It is, however, more annoying to work without a google account, and you may be prompted to log in sometime. Ignore the prompts and reload the page to bypass them.
What if I don’t want to receive any emails?
You can browse, post and reply directly on the forum’s URL, https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/xsi_list You don’t have to memorize this URL, just do a google search for “Softimage mailing list” and it’s the top result.
How do I continue to receive mails after September 1st?
Subscribe to the google group by mail by sending an email right now to xsi_list+subscribe@googlegroups.com
No subject or message required, just hit Send and then answer the confirmation mail.
What if I don’t do anything?
You will be unsubscribed from the Softimage mailing list at Autodesk and will no longer receive any mails. The community will miss you.
You can email me any time to unsubscribe earlier.
Ok buddy, any last word?
Never let go of your copy of Softimage. Cherish your dongle. Keep fighting the good fight. Trust No One. Try deleting your user prefs and run “runonce.bat”.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!