XSIMOD theme for Blender + Addons

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
sirdavid32

XSIMOD theme for Blender + Addons

Post by sirdavid32 » 26 Feb 2020, 06:52

Hello, loving group.

For those of you who migrated to Blender, and would love to have all the UI colors (for the known cross-compatible workspaces) between Blender and Softimage,
I created a color theme and I am adding 2 very useful addons: One takes your pivot and center it in a previously selected group of vertices, and the second
addon allows you to tap "4" and you're instantly in edit mode with vertex selection filter. It's like pressing "U" in Softimage.

Read more details here: https://3dcinetv.com/blender-steam-xsimod-theme/

"U" cannot be mapped into Blender since it's hard*wired, so I used "4" since it's the next number filer (1-vertex selection, 2-edge selection, 3-face selection) and "4"
quick jump to edit. Keep tapping 4 to cycle through the modes! (developed along with the Blender community).

When you visit the URL there will be a 1h video explaining the nuts and bolts on how to install it.
Cheers.

FXDude

Re: XSIMOD theme for Blender + Addons

Post by FXDude » 07 Mar 2020, 01:00

Hi SirDavid, thanks for this, this is an excellent and essential 'stuff that you should know' primer for anyone first tackling Blender.

( though I didn't quite understand the 'come-on guys' comments? )

Otherwise I also wanted to say that I included you in the credits of BforA-XT, because litterally the first thing I did when I first tried blender 2.8,
was to install your theme :) And maybe why I didn't think of adding you before, might have been because to me, this is how Blender always looked like :)

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 07 Mar 2020, 10:11

Kind words, FXDude. Thank you for your support. Did you install it successfully? I am glad to read that.
Well, something really amazing is cooking up for the coming up Blender 2.83 and the XSIMOD theme. That much I can tell you.
I didn't understand the part you mean about BforA-XT. I know BForartists project, but if you don't mind, elaborate on what you meant?
Thanks!
And I hope the scripts are doing you justice in the use of Blender for modeling. There are a lot more things I left out of the video, but I might do a quick run-and-gun explanation the next time I upgrade it.
Meanwhile, you can preview the good stuff here: https://wp.me/p4qGvb-m8

Grims

Post by Grims » 17 Mar 2020, 19:09

Hello there!

First of all, thank you very much for this! I don't use Blender a lot, but sometimes i need to import/export objects on it and your theme and scripts help me to get a little more comfortable... And it also remind me a bit of the good old times of XSI.

I want to stay tune on this and your updates. Hope you keep us informed on this forum.
The Future is Gloomy!

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 18 Mar 2020, 14:43

Sure thing, man!! AS OF WEDNESDAY OF MARCH the 18th, XSI THEME has been included in the native themes in the Blender 2.83 version!! It went through an exhaustive scrutiny, not even I could've done it without the people developing for Blender. I am glad, because some of the things we natively had in XSI like dialogue, divots and check boxes are now in tune with Blender. I can't wait for the final 2.83 release!

Grims

Post by Grims » 18 Mar 2020, 15:02

Do you know when it comes out?
The Future is Gloomy!

Draise

Post by Draise » 19 Mar 2020, 13:26

sirdavid32 wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 14:43 Sure thing, man!! AS OF WEDNESDAY OF MARCH the 18th, XSI THEME has been included in the native themes in the Blender 2.83 version!! It went through an exhaustive scrutiny, not even I could've done it without the people developing for Blender. I am glad, because some of the things we natively had in XSI like dialogue, divots and check boxes are now in tune with Blender. I can't wait for the final 2.83 release!
Congrats. I know it was an uphill struggle! You were shot down so many times, but so glad it's finally in.

rray

Post by rray » 19 Mar 2020, 15:01

Great, thanks for your work. Going to try 2.83 with your theme once it's out.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 23 Mar 2020, 19:29

Yep, thanks. There's still much work to do with the theme, since some things in 2.83 have been "theme"-able. And so I need to adjust a second proposal (again). To keep it like the XSI we know and love.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 23 Mar 2020, 19:48

Great news!
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 23 Mar 2020, 22:19

Can't wait to test it :)
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

MKXSI

Post by MKXSI » 24 Mar 2020, 09:54

i was testing a bit the theme at its pretty cool!
Btw, Envelope weighting in Blender is just HELL... how is it possible to do the things that uncofortablem, Softimage is just lightyears from blender on that.

Draise

Post by Draise » 24 Mar 2020, 16:02

MKXSI wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 09:54 i was testing a bit the theme at its pretty cool!
Btw, Envelope weighting in Blender is just HELL... how is it possible to do the things that uncofortablem, Softimage is just lightyears from blender on that.
I agree there, weight painting in Blender is not a fun experience.

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 29 Mar 2020, 08:49

To understand "the Blender mentality", I made this video to explain the basics of weight paint. If you wish I can make an advanced 2020 (updated tools) about weight paint in Blender 2.83

nicole

Post by nicole » 30 Mar 2020, 00:22

hi sirdavid,
in your 2.83 March Update video
i like your manga girl 2.82 her face when the dots are blue
or the different hues of brown in the triangles of her dress and body. magestic character !

i am no blender user but found the explanations convincing even
if you're struggling hard it seems between the xsi audience and the blender developers.

from afar the explorer colors seems clearer aswell in xsi, specially the blender's icons seem too much
alike one with the other. it would be a good idea to have clear different colors and shapes for these icons.

are there "operator stacks" and "freeze" like in xsi ?
thanks a lot for this break before sleep.

nicole.

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 03 Apr 2020, 06:35

Hi Nicole. I don't exactly know which character you refer to. I have different characters (and secret characters) scattered through some of my videos.
To answer what I read as questions:
- I am not struggling at all between Softimagers and Blender users. I love bringing our Softimage concepts to Blender arena and then seeing them grow from there with other user's points of view and feedback.
- The explorer colors in Softimage vs Blender's: Yes, I am still adjusting stuff for the 2.83 theme. The one shipping right now (alpha) is an early proposal that was changed around by the devs. I made it clear, that if I was to maintain the theme, I was going to call the shots, not them. I am still waiting for the official answer. Meanwhile, I am distributing the original theme on Gumroad for free.

- Operator stacks: We call them MODIFIERS in Blender. Though I won't lie to you, sometimes I feel guilty for having tremendous work speeds without the heavy baggage of the history stack in Blender. I imagine Vitaly Bulgarov would someday come to hard surface model in Blender, and then the world will see it's true power in the MODIFIER STACK (it's like placing effects on an After Effect layer) live results.