Cycles for Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Sycles 2.1.3Author: Shekn @si-community
V 2.1.3 released August 2023 —

This is a full integration of the Blender Cycles renderer into XSI. This update is a complete rewrite for the latest Cycles version from 2023 and has support for the following Softimage features (quoted from the download page):

Polygon meshes and hair geometry Texture coordinates Vertex colors Shaderball preview. For materials, shader nodes and texture nodes Basic limited support of the following buil-in Softimage shader nodes: Phong, Lambert, Hair Shading, Image, converters between vector, color and scalar Ambience global environment light Limited support of built-in Softimage light sources Model instances ICE strands geometry ICE poitcloud instances ICE geometry attributes (vector, color and scalar) with context per-point and per-object Volume rendering. In particular supports emFluid, Explosia FX and openVDB for Softimage volumes Special VDB Primitive for rendering vdbs without ICE Output multilayered exr file with all rendered passe Rendermaps

The following features from Cycles itself are supported: CPU and GPU rendering. In particular multidevices are supported. This allows to use cpu and gpu simultaneously. Note: This distribution does not contains libraries for gpu rendering. You can download it from here. Unpack the archive and place lib folder to the /Sycles_2_1_2/Application/Plugins/ folder near the file config.ini All Cycles shader nodes OSL shaders OpenColorIO profiles (Blender profile included) All Cycles output passes (Combined, Depth, Normal and so on) Color and value shader AOVs Lightgroups Cycles camera properties, in particular all panorama modes Cycles light sources Denoising by using Open Image Denoise and OptiX denoiser

For more information, full documentation and a list of the available Cycles nodes see the download page linked below. There is no local backup because the addon is still frequently updated - the plugin can be downloaded on Shekn's github releases. The source code is available on github there well.

News concerning 3D DCC business
wireframex

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by wireframex » 27 Mar 2023, 06:48

avalon_70 wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 05:05
wireframex wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 15:16 Hey Shekn

Any news about HDRMaster ;)
While waiting for an update, here is the new version modified by me.
It's just a compound to use instead of the "background" shader.
I made some improvements and additions:
1. Modified the intervention of the "Sun". I realized that each HDRI has a completely different sun effect, so I scaled down the power considerably. Depending on the map, the power can be adjusted.
2. Added rotations on the X and Z axes.
3. Inverted scaling
4. small fixes

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ecut7ule61rbi ... 2.zip?dl=0
Thanks a lot
I have to try it soon :)
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

avalon_70

Post by avalon_70 » 27 Mar 2023, 09:32

wireframex wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 06:48
avalon_70 wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 05:05
wireframex wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 15:16 Hey Shekn

Any news about HDRMaster ;)
While waiting for an update, here is the new version modified by me.
1. Modified the intervention of the "Sun". I realized that each HDRI has a completely different sun effect, so I scaled down the power considerably. Depending on the map, the power can be adjusted.
3. Inverted scaling
4. small fixes

Thanks a lot
I have to try it soon :)
:)
Note that the "Sun" parameter will have to be set completely different according to the HDRI map (in my example it goes from 0.15 to 200000). ;)

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 27 Mar 2023, 15:11

avalon_70 wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 14:46 Changing topic:
doing a very large render (as we said last time) in Prompt, up to about 12000 px it works, above it goes out of memory of the video card (8gb).
Is there any setting I can work with?
It's not urgent, I've already delivered the job (done with redshift always in prompt). :)
May be you use batch render but with enabled gpu rendering? In this case the render may fails, because it requires to allocate memory in gpu to works with the rendering image. But I don't know precisely how it works.

avalon_70

Post by avalon_70 » 29 Mar 2023, 05:11

Shekn wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 15:11
avalon_70 wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 14:46 Changing topic:
doing a very large render (as we said last time) in Prompt, up to about 12000 px it works, above it goes out of memory of the video card (8gb).
Is there any setting I can work with?
It's not urgent, I've already delivered the job (done with redshift always in prompt). :)
May be you use batch render but with enabled gpu rendering? In this case the render may fails, because it requires to allocate memory in gpu to works with the rendering image. But I don't know precisely how it works.
Yes, for me the render is only GPU :)
The error comes out only by increasing the size of the render, which seems strange to me, because logically it is the content of the scene that should impact on the RAM of the GPU and not the pixels of which the render is composed, but obviously my knowledge could to think the wrong thing.
In this case my scene is only for didactic purposes and as a possible Backup for a future request (my redshift is an old license that only supports GTX 1000).
Among other things, however, I got around the obstacle by creating 4 partitions with 4 crop windows :D

opoppopopp

Post by opoppopopp » 31 May 2023, 19:33

Is Cycle finally got our per light object Associated Models ?
https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Reference ... 4.0/Cycles

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 01 Jun 2023, 06:11

This feature is under development. It works in some scenarios, but not in all. It will be released in Blender 4.0 at the end of the year.

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 13 Jul 2023, 06:52

avalon_70 wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 09:32
avalon_70 wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 05:05 While waiting for an update, here is the new version modified by me.
3. Inverted scaling
4. small fixes
Note that the "Sun" parameter will have to be set completely different according to the HDRI map (in my example it goes from 0.15 to 200000). ;)
Forgot to thank you about it :)

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 06 Aug 2023, 12:17

Small update - version 2.1.3. Cycles binaries are the same as previously. Only fixed some issues on the Softiamge addon. It can be download from the release page on github: https://github.com/Tugcga/Sycles/releas ... ddon.2.1.3
This link contains more detailed description of the update.

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 07 Aug 2023, 15:57

Shekn wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 12:17 Small update - version 2.1.3. Cycles binaries are the same as previously. Only fixed some issues on the Softiamge addon. It can be download from the release page on github: https://github.com/Tugcga/Sycles/releas ... ddon.2.1.3
Thanks a lot Shekn :)
Any news about HDRMaster ?
Regards
Phil

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 10 Aug 2023, 22:28

Indeed thanks so much !

I'll be trying to render particles and strands soon enough !

avalon_70

Post by avalon_70 » 16 Aug 2023, 11:44

Shekn wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 12:17 Small update - version 2.1.3. Cycles binaries are the same as previously. Only fixed some issues on the Softiamge addon. It can be download from the release page on github: https://github.com/Tugcga/Sycles/releas ... ddon.2.1.3
Thank you so much, Shekn :ymhug:

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 18 Sep 2023, 19:09

Hi ! ( @ Shekn or anyone else who might help )

So I installed Sycles 2.1.3 (in Si 15 sp2)
and I get an error on one DLL that says :
<< A procedure couldn't be found in library >>

Did anyone else encounter this ?

Thanks !

opoppopopp

Post by opoppopopp » 18 Sep 2023, 20:43

Just try https://www.dependencywalker.com/ to find that dll.
Most likely it is a certain version of VC++ redistributable.

or it is a conflict, and you try Isolate this plug-in by temporary disable other installed plug-ins, include user/workgroup directory to avoid conflicts.

avalon_70

Post by avalon_70 » 21 Sep 2023, 08:41

FXDude wrote: 18 Sep 2023, 19:09 Hi ! ( @ Shekn or anyone else who might help )

So I installed Sycles 2.1.3 (in Si 15 sp2)
and I get an error on one DLL that says :
<< A procedure couldn't be found in library >>

Did anyone else encounter this ?

Thanks !
I don't know if this is your case, but I saw that you have other plugins installed..
Check that none of the other plugins use the tbb.dll, which generated the same problem for me (in my case it was used in the Exocortex plugins).

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 23 Sep 2023, 20:40

opoppopopp wrote: 18 Sep 2023, 20:43 Just try https://www.dependencywalker.com/ to find that dll.
Most likely it is a certain version of VC++ redistributable.

or it is a conflict, and you try Isolate this plug-in by temporary disable other installed plug-ins, include user/workgroup directory to avoid conflicts.
avalon_70 wrote: 21 Sep 2023, 08:41
I don't know if this is your case, but I saw that you have other plugins installed..
Check that none of the other plugins use the tbb.dll, which generated the same problem for me (in my case it was used in the Exocortex plugins).
Thanks to BOTH of you for your help,
it was indeed a conflict with something else, as starting from a fresh profile did Cycles WORK !

And in this case the conflict was with "S-USD"
( ironically from the same author,
perhaps are they referencing two different versions of the same resource or library ?
... or something )

Discovered by deleting half of all addons restarting, and repeating, until it worked,
and since I would delete alphabetically, "S-USD" was one of the last,
so had to delete half & restart a bunch of times lol

But nevertheless, IT WORKS !

And now Sycles can use native image texture sources
( as well as some support for "native" shader nodes, a bit like Redshift ) ,
which is GREAT !! ( among other things )

And not sure if it's because of my RTX card, but it's also pretty FAST,
while denoising can MUCH more easily survive animation without interframe "blotches" than before,
( provided you give it enough samples like 512 for interior scenes )
so no need for post processing, except maybe to ADD noise,
because the denoiser gets rid of ALL of it.
( will post tests soon )

So cheers, and mostly THANKS AGAIN !! \m/ :-bd

avalon_70

Post by avalon_70 » 06 Oct 2023, 04:57

Hi, today I noticed a bug that affects the camera when it is animated.
I animated the "Focal Length" and when rendering the animation (in this case) the second frame does not read the animation correctly.
It doesn't do it in the preview, it doesn't do it with the render region and it doesn't do it if I render the single frame, but only if I render the entire animation.
In another scene the same thing happened to me but also on the animation of the movement which was moved forward by one frame.

If you need, this is simple scene were I tested it:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/2uz7xbms ... rysru&dl=0