thicken problem

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
agrmrs

thicken problem

Post by agrmrs » 22 Apr 2010, 17:15

hi friends :) , i created a little room using a box and cut a square to make the window ...... i needed to give a thickness to the whole object ...... i used few plug ins ..... all gave the thickness but they also deformed the edges ( see the pic below ) :(( ........ so the external wall surface isn't straight ...... can we give a thickness while keeping the surface straight ? .......thanx :)
Last edited by agrmrs on 05 Jul 2013, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

agrmrs

Re: thicken problem

Post by agrmrs » 23 Apr 2010, 11:49

hi , finally i did it using both "interactive thickness" and "move normals" plugins :ymhug: ........ but now it gives me a window border which is blue in color....... when i bevel both of the window borders that blue border doesen't bevel correctly ...... how can i fix that ....thanx :)
Last edited by agrmrs on 05 Jul 2013, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 23 Apr 2010, 13:44

The blue edge denotes a border edge i.e. an edge without a neighboring polygon on one side (simply put). Having them around isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially in a window setup like this...
I think it all largely depends, what part of the room you're focusing on. If you plan to only show the interior, I would extrude outwards and simply ignore any border edges, as long as the don't disturb the view. If you're mainly interested in the outside, the extrusion should obviously go inward... ;) ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

agrmrs

Post by agrmrs » 23 Apr 2010, 16:14

Hirazi Blue wrote:The blue edge denotes a border edge i.e. an edge without a neighboring polygon on one side (simply put). Having them around isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially in a window setup like this...
I think it all largely depends, what part of the room you're focusing on. If you plan to only show the interior, I would extrude outwards and simply ignore any border edges, as long as the don't disturb the view. If you're mainly interested in the outside, the extrusion should obviously go inward... ;) ;)
thanx hirazi :) that's a pretty good trick .....but for a walk through we can't do that :-s ...... any clue would be fine ;;)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 23 Apr 2010, 17:08

Just a thought: duplicating your room, scaling it ever so slightly to create the "outside", select all the border edges (of windows and doorways) and do a bridge boundary edge OP on them... :-\
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

agrmrs

Post by agrmrs » 23 Apr 2010, 17:16

Hirazi Blue wrote:Just a thought: duplicating your room, scaling it ever so slightly to create the "outside", select all the border edges (of windows and doorways) and do a bridge boundary edge OP on them... :-\
ohh thanx mate that worked too ...... i've got another problem :p when beveling eges some areas of the object turns to a dark color :( kinda burning look...also visibles in the render region :( have i done something wrong ? thanx :)
Last edited by agrmrs on 05 Jul 2013, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

lehko

Post by lehko » 23 Apr 2010, 21:08

Hi,

That's because you have some Ngons, I guess.
You can try to check uniform mitering in the bevel panel. That Slightly deform the mesh, but avoid ngons :)

agrmrs

Post by agrmrs » 24 Apr 2010, 02:14

lehko wrote:Hi,

That's because you have some Ngons, I guess.
You can try to check uniform mitering in the bevel panel. That Slightly deform the mesh, but avoid ngons :)
thanx mate actually it worked ......but there wreren't any ngons :-s .....also we can harden the edges in the same panel to reduce this issue completely :D i tested and worked :)

Diurno

Post by Diurno » 26 Apr 2010, 18:24

mmmm beware when u do bevel, if the scale of your object is not uniform it doesn't work properly, to make sure of it, before of beveling, go to Transform -> Freeze Scaling.

agrmrs

Post by agrmrs » 27 Apr 2010, 03:13

thanx Diurno :ymhug: