high resolution proxy after alembic cache

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
xeraphine

high resolution proxy after alembic cache

Post by xeraphine » 22 Oct 2015, 04:29

Hi, i have a problem, hope somebody can help me, i made a simulation with momentum then a alembic cache, now i realized that some bevel in the object could do a better job, the object is a fracture object with implosiafx, can i drive a high resolution proxy with the already made alembic cache. Can anyone point to some tut about the subject. Thanks

FXDude

Re: high resolution proxy after alembic cache

Post by FXDude » 22 Oct 2015, 22:11

By 'driving' you mean like modifying referenced models with deltas?

If so, I may be wrong but I don't think so.

But since your Alembic is referenced, is it a big thing to tweak the original and rewrite the Alembic?

NNois

Post by NNois » 23 Oct 2015, 01:16

You mean the only data you have is an alembic ?
I think it's dead ! (apart if in your alembic there is some data about the COG of each pieces, but i doubt if you haven't planned it there is such data)

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 23 Oct 2015, 03:43

If nothing (or little) can be done with it, then it's fair to say that it's dead ;)

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 23 Oct 2015, 04:29

Maybe it's sleeping...

xeraphine

Post by xeraphine » 23 Oct 2015, 06:47

Well, i think i solved maybe its redundant don´t know, i create a empty poly mesh with ice tree with the low resolution object to a get topo from object node-geometry core-set topology(see the attach), maybe its easy to resimulate the whole thing with the no so high resolution object and do a alembic no big deal, but am asking this because this comment in this video high resolution fracture https://vimeo.com/83557285
Thank you.

Basically, you take the low res voronoi fracture and use that to for the simulation. Then just add detail to the pieces and use the low-res RBD sim points to move the high-res detailed fracture pieces.

Creating the high-res detailed pieces is literally just adding some noise to the subdivided mesh.
Ideas?
Attachments
solution.JPG

NNois

Post by NNois » 23 Oct 2015, 09:39

xeraphine wrote:Well, i think i solved maybe its redundant don´t know, i create a empty poly mesh with ice tree with the low resolution object to a get topo from object node-geometry core-set topology(see the attach), maybe its easy to resimulate the whole thing with the no so high resolution object and do a alembic no big deal, but am asking this because this comment in this video high resolution fracture https://vimeo.com/83557285
Thank you.

Basically, you take the low res voronoi fracture and use that to for the simulation. Then just add detail to the pieces and use the low-res RBD sim points to move the high-res detailed fracture pieces.

Creating the high-res detailed pieces is literally just adding some noise to the subdivided mesh.
Ideas?
Yey, but where do you get "low-res RDB sim points" out of the box on your alembic ?? you have to explicitly output that point cloud from momentum (with point orientation).
In fact you don't actually Need the Low Res Mesh, just the underlying moving point cloud ;-)

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 24 Oct 2015, 23:00

Can't you just give points to the Momentum chunks and track them?

xeraphine

Post by xeraphine » 26 Oct 2015, 05:48

Bullit wrote:Can't you just give points to the Momentum chunks and track them?
I´ll try that, thanks all :-bd

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 26 Oct 2015, 14:45

Sorry for the perhaps silly suggestion, but something which could have been right in our faces, for a new 'regular' model based on the referenced input, did you also try simply cloning Alembic peices, to then hide the source and edit the clones?

xeraphine

Post by xeraphine » 27 Oct 2015, 06:39

FXDude wrote:Sorry for the perhaps silly suggestion, but something which could have been right in our faces, for a new 'regular' model based on the referenced input, did you also try simply cloning Alembic peices, to then hide the source and edit the clones?
Actually that works, so simply, thats why am using softimage, dont go anywhere guys. Thanks FXdude

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 27 Oct 2015, 21:59

No prob and good to know! :)

And Speaking of clones (and other threads about procedural things) XSI clones can also be like 'stages', where you can have a bunch of edits, deforms, other effects, ICE trees or what not applied to things, and then start again fresh (a bit like freezing but without freezing) or branch-off different variations from a given point while keeping a live link to the source.

Clones in XSI are awesome :)