Geometry Shader for the hidden Options in mr 3.8

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

mr 3.8 Options GeoshaderAuthor: Jonathan Baecker
This experimental geometry shader enables the hidden mental ray 3.8 progressive rendering option for Softimage.

Documentation and installation instruction is available in the si-community discussion. A sample scene is provided in this germanmentalray forum discussion

This shader by ctrl.studio for Max 2011 might or might not work using the sandboxing principle of Softimage 2011 (mi file intepretation). For help with installing mi files in SI 2011, Hirazi Blue has kindly written an article on -community. There are currently issues rendering strands with this shader.

Related plugins: ctrl_ghost_settings

local backup: mr3.8Options.zip

Discussions regarding Materials, Material-Compounds or Shaders, etc.
jb_alvarado

Re: Geometry Shader for the hidden Options in mr 3.8

Post by jb_alvarado » 18 Apr 2010, 22:55

Hi Gabba,
I see this at the first time, but I think we also can use this crtl.ghost.settings shader.

jb_alvarado

Post by jb_alvarado » 19 Apr 2010, 10:11

Ok the CTRL Group was faster then me :). All Options what you need is in the new ctrl.ghost.settings Shader:

http://mastering-mentalray.com/forums/v ... =10&t=1329

Gabba

Post by Gabba » 19 Apr 2010, 10:23

Umh... but it's for 3dstudio! Any chance to port it to XSI? =)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 19 Apr 2010, 10:50

@Gabba - No need to port it: use the dll of your flavor (32/64) and place it in the same folder described above. Do the same for the mi-file... There is no fancy interface, just al the parameters you can set...

@jb_alvarado
I've tried this and working with your "progressive" example scene I can't seem to get the same render results (I must be interpreting/setting some of the settings wrong).

I would vote for you to finish the job you've started, for two reasons:
- what has ctrl.studio done for SI-users lately? :(
- please create an oldbsp switch... :ympray:
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

redmotion

Post by redmotion » 19 Apr 2010, 11:02

Hirazi Blue wrote:@Gabba - No need to port it: use the dll of your flavor (32/64) and place it in the same folder described above. Do the same for the mi-file... There is no fancy interface, just al the parameters you can set...

@jb_alvarado
I've tried this and working with your "progressive" example scene I can't seem to get the same render results (I must be interpreting/setting some of the settings wrong).

I would vote for you to finish the job you've started, for two reasons:
- what has ctrl.studio done for SI-users lately? :(
- please create an oldbsp switch... :ympray:
I couldn't agree more, in fact, if you could look at doing this for 2010 aswell (if it works) then it would have real value to some users.

And its a learning process for you, so you'll gain important knowledge too. (I bet CTRL don't share the source)

EDIT: Also CTRL.Ghost is for 3.7, so surely it can have a SPDL for 2010 made?

Gabba

Post by Gabba » 19 Apr 2010, 12:39

Oh, thx Hirazi! =)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 19 Apr 2010, 17:22

I've written a short HOW TO on using custom shaders of the mi variety:
HOW TO USE CUSTOM SHADERS ("MI" files) ;)

redmotion

Post by redmotion » 21 Apr 2010, 18:19

I'm just wondering whether Progressive rendering is not included in the 2011 releases because it really isn't ready. I've played about with it quite a bit and so far, I just can't find a reason to use it! I thought it would have been more like Worley FPrime renderer. Has anyone worked out a way to make this feature useful to them yet?

(@jb_alvarado - this isn't a dig at you - I'm very grateful for all the efforts you're putting into this shader - don't stop!!! It's seems to be easier to use than the CTRL_ghost shader for starters.)

jb_alvarado

Post by jb_alvarado » 21 Apr 2010, 19:58

Give me a little bit time :), I will do this finish. Also I plan a good GUI, with tabs; rollouts etc.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 22 Apr 2010, 22:22

redmotion wrote:I'm just wondering whether Progressive rendering is not included in the 2011 releases because it really isn't ready. I've played about with it quite a bit and so far, I just can't find a reason to use it! I thought it would have been more like Worley FPrime renderer. Has anyone worked out a way to make this feature useful to them yet?

(@jb_alvarado - this isn't a dig at you - I'm very grateful for all the efforts you're putting into this shader - don't stop!!! It's seems to be easier to use than the CTRL_ghost shader for starters.)

you need to put really low parameters to have Progressive Rendering work, its made to rise up the quality in a progressive way, dont use high end rendering parameters, let it work, you just need to put min/max samples and lower stuff in render settings, for me it works, still is not perfectly clear how to use it good but its working, i'm doing a test i'll post later.

i use min sample 5, max sample 100, max time 3600, error threshold 0.05, cache points 0, cache rays 38, cache maxframe 8.
set the AA to -3-2, rgb 0.200, and render.

redmotion

Post by redmotion » 22 Apr 2010, 23:21

It works for me. its just that in its current state, its not much use to me. Something "progressive" like FPrime is what I was hoping for.

http://www.worley.com/Media/animations/ ... Tracer.mov
http://www.worley.com/Media/animations/ ... assive.mov

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 22 Apr 2010, 23:29

i think that will come with iRay, personally i gave up about MR features/implementation, every new version you're high happy and hope for the best, afeter you get hands on it, either is crap implemented, either have really low news and not even finished features.

I am prayin god some alternative solution to Softimage will come up in few because Mental Ray is cursed, the whole development is SLOW like hell compared to other engines, the integration is debatable, i know it is a deep and professional engine, i love it but sometimes it just pisses me off.

I would die to have FinalRender or Vray perfectly integrated into Softimage, Mental Ray is more Technical/animation/headhache oriented, not debating about quality wich is outstanding, but come on.. it is the slowest and oldest GI engine probably, they did a good job introducing Irradiance Particles and Importons, and after almost 2 years, they are still not fully functioning, iRay is a "????", everything is just misty with Mental Ray, we will see, but i'm kinda tired to say "we will see" or "lets wait next release".

Sadly i cant go to other 3d pacakges..so i'm cursed.
p.s. you remember Cebas announced Finalrender for XSI ? been like 1 year and half, i've read some day ago that the problem is Autodesk didnt contact back Cebas for development, dunno whats going on, but this is frustrating.
Dunno about Vray but been announced more than 1 year ago and still nothing.

/rant off :)

Rork

Post by Rork » 23 Apr 2010, 11:17

Vray beta was calling for betatesters a while ago, because they didn't have enough people testing the builds, so that might hurt the development on Vray for SI.

FinalRender, I gave up on that. I don't think it will ever see the light of day.

My best bet on a renderer for SI, other than 3DLight, that will actually be released for sale within a reasonable time frame is Arnold.

my two eurocents,

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

amaan

Post by amaan » 23 Apr 2010, 13:56

>please create an oldbsp switch

This can't be done, I think. Softimage runs its own set of string options after all user geometry shaders have evaluated. In doing so, it overwrites any setting you might put in for the BSP type.

Other settings, like Progressive, Softimage doesn't overwrite so we are able to enable that one, as shown by Andy Jones on the xsi mailing list.

Gabba

Post by Gabba » 24 Apr 2010, 14:35

This is a test I did with the progressive rendering. As you can see it have some "problems" to catch the right information about specular reflections. In this case the glossy is very very low (0.1) rising the samples means much render times but it become more accurate. Note the "inside" reflection. Even at 128 samples are very noisy, with progressive rendering it become more uniform.
Attachments
comparazione._l.jpg
comparazione._l.jpg (214.42 KiB) Viewed 2403 times

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 26 Apr 2010, 16:04

amaan wrote:>please create an oldbsp switch

This can't be done, I think. Softimage runs its own set of string options after all user geometry shaders have evaluated. In doing so, it overwrites any setting you might put in for the BSP type.
Could you please elaborate on (or document) what options would be affected? ;)