basic rig from Soft to Maya?

Forum for users who have migrated or are migrating to Maya
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

basic rig from Soft to Maya?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 16 Jul 2014, 12:53

Is there any way to get a rigged character (with the basic rig setup Softimage creates) into Maya to do the animating there?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Mathaeus

Re: basic rig from Soft to Maya?

Post by Mathaeus » 16 Jul 2014, 16:28

So that's academic question, or what.
If I'm correct, complexity level that works in almost all 3d app, game engines, for long time, this is close to 'shadow rig' in SI. That is, exclusive FK hierarchy, vertex assignments and weights for envelope operator. In best case, SI 'skeleton-women/man-basic'.
Constraints, expressions, fancy spine operators, this doesn't works in same way, for rest of the world. IK (or exactly, recognizing the IK relationship between elements) - maybe this is possible through FBX - but personally don't know how this is reliable, to which level (what's about direction of Up vector, for example).
So, generally yes it's possible to animate the 'shadow rig' in another 3d app, but only FK - things like swimming or diving character, astronaut flying through space, anything that don't walk or don't have precise interaction with something else.
For anything more, some sort of emulation is only way, I'm afraid. SI has specific bone chain structure, always having 'chain root' element. Expression in SI seems to be closer to node in Maya ( limited but fast). Expression in Maya looks more like SCOP in SI (more options but slower). Evaluation and behavior of constraints, I think this is different, too (don't know to which level).

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 16 Jul 2014, 17:39

In 2014 you should be able to FBX out a rig with SIMPLE constraints. Control objects that are curve should go over as well. Not sure how the bone chains will react.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 16 Jul 2014, 22:30

Mathaeus wrote:So that's academic question, or what.
Thanks for diplomatically avoiding the word "stupid"! :p
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Draise

Post by Draise » 18 Jul 2014, 05:45

I'm curious as to how this would work, I'd love to animate in Si then run rigs in game engines. Does anyone have videos for workflows to Unreal or Cryengine or Unity or something from SI? Wait.. I'm in the wrong thread, this is for Maya.. ah...

Nick3d

Post by Nick3d » 28 Jul 2014, 12:48

Draise wrote:I'm curious as to how this would work, I'd love to animate in Si then run rigs in game engines. Does anyone have videos for workflows to Unreal or Cryengine or Unity or something from SI? Wait.. I'm in the wrong thread, this is for Maya.. ah...
Check out my YouTube channels, I made some tutorials regarding UDK/UE4 and Unity workflow using Species plugin ;)

https://www.youtube.com/user/Nick3d/videos