Wish page for Softimage 20xx....

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Superpositivo

Wish page for Softimage 20xx....

Post by Superpositivo » 28 Mar 2013, 05:40

one..

For those situations when there's the need to work on SRT keyframes separately, that's pratically always, I hate everytime to switch on the timeline (and so I'm not speaking about Animation Editor or Dopesheet), to kinematics, marked parameters, scaling (that for some misterious reason it's impossibile to move the scale keyframes if not just in scaling mode or kinematics ) I always had this image in mind I think it's doable and highly useful that would change and speed up all those visual checks and adjustments expecially when there's a continue selection and keyframing of many animated objects one after the other.
Working, it displays the keyframes (SRT or XYZ) for the active trasform tool in the moment (in the image, Translate Tool is considered being active).
Is it too weird? Well, we are in the wish page, right?...

McNistor

Re: Wish page for Softimage 20xx....

Post by McNistor » 28 Mar 2013, 17:54

WOW, this is a great idea! :-bd

This, of course, should be implemented first and foremost in the editor, although the timeline wouldn't suffer either to see this improvement.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 28 Mar 2013, 19:56

Good idea.
I think timeline operation is essential to animate dozens of object - which usually means a simple animation- if not going the ICE route.

luceric

Post by luceric » 28 Mar 2013, 20:05

Superpositivo wrote:, scaling (that for some misterious reason it's impossibile to move the scale keyframes if not just in scaling mode or kinematics )
perhaps because your scaling parameters aren't set as "keyable"? the timeline will only manipulate keyable parameters

jamination

Post by jamination » 28 Mar 2013, 20:11

i don't think so, try creating a box or anything for that matter, create keys with "key all keyable", set to marked paramaters on the timeline (and scale as marked parameter), you can't even select a range of keys to manipulate with scale as marked param, however, rotation, and trans work fine. At least this has always been a problem of mine since the timeline was introduced.

edit: i reported this a long time ago, but I don't think they understood the problem.
Last edited by jamination on 28 Mar 2013, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions

Superpositivo

Post by Superpositivo » 28 Mar 2013, 20:11

Nope, Luc.

Using keyable works, as kinematics, but it shows on the timeline all the trasformations keys (S, R, and T).

But if you use MARKED parameters, to display only the ones you want, when trying to simply select keys Translate and Rotation works regularly, but it disappear on the Scale Frames.... It looks as a bug, to me.

edit: jamination answered faster...

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 29 Mar 2013, 01:37

One of these days...

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 29 Mar 2013, 09:17

one of 2014's (to say the least) days... :)
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

nixx

Post by nixx » 29 Mar 2013, 20:53

bottleofram wrote:One of these days...
That's not much different than how search/find is now. Only difference is it's in a separate pane instead of in-place.

And as for automatically "dropping" the node, what would happen if there are many nodes that start with the string you 're searching for ? How would it know when you 're done typing, so that it gives you the result(s) ?
I 'm child, and man, and child again; the boy never gets older.

my Vimeo

luceric

Post by luceric » 29 Mar 2013, 21:03

maya 2014's node editor has it.. :ymdevil:

nixx

Post by nixx » 29 Mar 2013, 21:19

luceric wrote:maya 2014's node editor has it.. :ymdevil:
So how does it handle things like multiple results, partial string search, etc ?

(my question was legit, not ironic or anything like that)

my Vimeo

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 29 Mar 2013, 21:40

nixx wrote:
bottleofram wrote:One of these days...
That's not much different than how search/find is now. Only difference is it's in a separate pane instead of in-place.

And as for automatically "dropping" the node, what would happen if there are many nodes that start with the string you 're searching for ? How would it know when you 're done typing, so that it gives you the result(s) ?
It's just a quick chopped up screen recording, mate. It could be a standard nuke-like box for all i care.

What it does, though, is saves you valuable horizontal screen space and unnecessary mouse clicks/travel. If one was to go further, you could make "explore for attribute" redundant. For example:
  • hit tab > type "get d" > enter to autocomplete, type "self.pointpos" > enter to autocomplete and node is dropped
Now, this is not very useful since you have Get Point Position which would be easier to call up but what if you want to get a custom attribute. Or a weight map, or material etc. Setting gata would work the same way. Maybe you just hit tab and type "set data, self.tmp", and voila, you've got a standard temporary attribute to feed into the data you're debugging. After the first couple of months of exploring, all you do in ICE is getting data you know exactly where to find and setting it back exactly where you want.

As for multiple nodes available for a particular string... Obviously you'd need a dropdown list, maybe with those used most commonly given the priority....
maya 2013's node editor has it...

luceric

Post by luceric » 29 Mar 2013, 22:05

nixx wrote:
So how does it handle things like multiple results, partial string search, etc ?

(my question was legit, not ironic or anything like that)
I don't have have a video for the 2014 version, but you can see the 2012 SAP version of that feature here (link should start at 8:45)

nixx

Post by nixx » 29 Mar 2013, 22:20

luceric wrote:I don't have have a video for the 2014 version, but you can see the 2012 SAP version of that feature here (link should start at 8:45)
Thanks, that's clear. So it does give a drop-down then. Very much like Houdini's tab menu. I 'd welcome it of course, but frankly hitting Ctrl-F and having almost the exact same functionality in a pane is not such a ...pain :) The main difference is having to drag'n'drop the chosen node instead of having it drop in place.

bottleofram wrote:What it does, though, is saves you valuable horizontal screen space and unnecessary mouse clicks/travel.
That too, agreed.

my Vimeo

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 29 Mar 2013, 22:24

nixx wrote:but frankly hitting Ctrl-F and having almost the exact same functionality in a pane is not such a ...pain :) The main difference is having to drag'n'drop the chosen node instead of having it drop in place.
And having your whole graph shift left and right as you do so.

nixx

Post by nixx » 29 Mar 2013, 22:26

bottleofram wrote:And having your whole graph shift left and right as you do so.
Not if you keep the pane open at all times.

edit : which does indeed waste valuable horizontal screen space, like you said before, to which I agreed :)

my Vimeo