offical features for softimage 2014 & we have a NEW logo

News concerning 3D DCC business
SvalinnAsgard

Re: offical features for softimage 2014 & we have a NEW logo

Post by SvalinnAsgard » 27 Mar 2013, 01:50

This is just laughable:
http://www.autodesk.com/products/autode ... ge/compare

It gives a nice visual representation of how little has changed in the last few releases.

I do not hate Autodesk, but I am not happy with their current strategy. I think they made a big mistake acquiring all the competition so quickly--they now have too many costs and cannot afford to develop new innovative features for their massive empire of software.

Even worse, they promised "BIG" features from the new SI team. Do not promise if you cannot deliver, Autodesk. Rethink your business strategy, or your customers will find alternatives and you shall be bankrupt.

NightroadAX

Post by NightroadAX » 27 Mar 2013, 01:56

Is there anyone else that can't stop seeing this?

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 27 Mar 2013, 05:06

Memag wrote:I like logo and website.
I think it's way better than the old one.
you're brain-dead :))
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Falam

Post by Falam » 27 Mar 2013, 05:29

What really was the old Softimage icon, what did it represent, some abstract shape, voodoo :) ?

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 27 Mar 2013, 05:37

X from XSI I think, but that's irrelevant. It was cool and even though some people don't think so, it was by now part of Softimage identity, not very much different than the big yellow M that you recognize from a km. You know what I'm talking about, don't you? That's brand recognition right there.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Falam

Post by Falam » 27 Mar 2013, 05:54

McNistor wrote:X from XSI I think, but that's irrelevant. It was cool and even though some people don't think so, it was by now part of Softimage identity, not very much different than the big yellow M that you recognize from a km. You know what I'm talking about, don't you? That's brand recognition right there.
I don't know what your talking about "the big yellow M that I recognize from a km". Where I live km is the metric system meaning kilometer, when you say km that is what comes to mind.

nuverian

Post by nuverian » 27 Mar 2013, 07:41

As I can clearly now see and we all do, the problem is not XSI not getting cool updates, but rather autodesk itself.

And I dont think they will fall to reason any time soon.
Portfolio / Blog
http://www.nuverian.net

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 27 Mar 2013, 07:51

Falam, yes km = kilometer, but forget about it... 8-|
-Thucydides

SvalinnAsgard

Post by SvalinnAsgard » 27 Mar 2013, 09:26

The big yellow M is none other than the golden arches. McDonalds. The only big yellow M in my life...

Anyway, Blender is starting to look really nice now; they really have come a long way with that software. Its interface looks nicer than anything Autodesk ever put out, and it appears to be on par feature-wise, but I know there is a catch somewhere.

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 27 Mar 2013, 09:34

The big yellow M is none other than the golden arches. McDonalds. The only big yellow M in my life...
Spoiler!

t4d

Post by t4d » 27 Mar 2013, 11:04

Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:
t4d wrote:http://www.autodesk.com/products/autode ... s.type-new

Clearly Autodesk put alot of resources into that new logo so enjoy it everyone.

and that's 1.023,50 € please
http://www.autodesk.com/products/autode ... ge/compare
And here you can see the trend. Just extrapolate.....

the amount that have grown over the versions autodesk has had SI is Amazing ..NOT.. :-??

but what the F#*k ,..Softimage had Composite IN softimage in Avid days, the separate Softimage "Composite application" is well,.. a separate Application talk about marketing Spin....

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 27 Mar 2013, 11:10

All in all I'm not so disappointing like I was during the leak days.

Softimage is listed into Top Autodesk Software, after the shock of the first presentation now I think the new logos is nice, and streaming presentation was not bad at all (I fell a bit of love for the software). Now softiamge appear like part of the big family, not like a stranger, seems the marketing regard softimage cage a bit (not only a particle plugin, but a complete software, for character, vfx and videogame). Is a big step forward, because appear a bit more clear autodesk intention (they don't want axe softimage, I think now is clear)

The release is not bad, tons of bugs fix, I agree when someone said it is not a major release, but is not so terrible. Stability and reliability is not a feature you can sell so easily, but is a big plus IMHO.

HQV don't convince me at all, it lag, and lag too much, but I'm curios to know the hardware used during presentation (was a laptop not and not a laptop workstation like dell or lenovo), so can be better on a desktop with a decent card. I hope this don't work only into Nvidia hardware, because I'm oriented on amd.

About products comparison, ok Houdini have a impressive list of new enhancements and features, but I doing characters, modelling a lot and doing a bit of animation, for me Houdini is practical useless and don't find anything can help me or convince me to learn houdini. So, if anyone need the features proposed by Houdini, can jump into the sidefx boat (houdini appear to me far from softimage idea of a generalist all around software). I don't need at all. The some for Modo, I like the render engine, but after that, I don't see a real step forward in moving all my job into modo enviroment. Actually I'm confortable with softimage (excluding rendering side).

Edit: Nice. I want bet again on softimage, I'll renew my subscription: http://area.autodesk.com/2014unfold/pro ... tml#future

ace63

Post by ace63 » 27 Mar 2013, 11:34

While the features are few in this release it is not as disappointing as it seems.
Lots of stuff has been fixed users have been complaining about.
Just two days ago I was cursing that I wasn't able to immediately override settings in ICETrees.

The only disappointing thing is that the HQV seems to be still too slow to use.

NNois

Post by NNois » 27 Mar 2013, 14:21

So, how caching is managed when we override exposed ports on ice trees ?

nuverian

Post by nuverian » 27 Mar 2013, 14:58

ace63 wrote:While the features are few in this release it is not as disappointing as it seems.
Lots of stuff has been fixed users have been complaining about.
Just two days ago I was cursing that I wasn't able to immediately override settings in ICETrees.

The only disappointing thing is that the HQV seems to be still too slow to use.
Until DX11 viewport is there (properly) it will be slow
Portfolio / Blog
http://www.nuverian.net

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 27 Mar 2013, 15:25

If you´re on subscription you have to ask yourself only one question:

Imagine there were no subscription, and the price for a regular upgrade was just as much as the subscription fee, knowing the feature list and assuming you also know all the things are working as expected, would you upgrade?
If yes, everything's alright, no need to complain.
If no, congratulations, you just bought something you didn't want. Or rather let someone sell it to you. If you deliberately let that happen, the don't complain either.

Otherwise you should change something.
I'm now part of an endangered species...