PhysX Fluid Simulation in Softimage ICE

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

PhysX Fluid SimulationAuthor: Oleg Bliznuk
This ICE compound wraps a CUDA implentation of the SPH fluid algorithm and allows a very fast particle simulation of fluids on NVidia GPUs. CPU mode is also available, also rather fast and not limited by the available GPU RAM. CPU mode can be used as the default mode or as a fallback mode.

See the si-community thread linked below for details and tips on using this compound. Here's a test video by Tekano with 2 million particles.

local backup: Waterfall_FX.rar

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
whurst

Re: PhysX Fluid Simulation in Softimage ICE

Post by whurst » 12 Jan 2013, 09:19

Hi there,

i've made a test scene for some experiments and finally a vid ofcause

Windows 7 64bit - SoftImage|XSI 2012 SP1 64bit - GTX680 - Latest Drivers

But i've some wired random crashes from the nvidia display driver. So i can't complete this with 7,8 million particles :-( damn ... Maybe someone else can download the scene and test with another workstation config too see it's just me

Moderator edit: just to clarify - link to scene is included on the Vimeo page. Press "vimeo" in the lower right corner of the embedded video to get there - HB

Bobby Boston

Post by Bobby Boston » 03 May 2013, 21:02

I'm having the same problem that perryharovas was having. After setting everything up I get [PX][SPH]: Get CUDA Support Failed. I went into the NVIDIA control panel and set my PhysX processor to my Quadro 600. Any thoughts on why I might not be able to get the CUDA connection in SI? As far as I can tell my workgroup and plugin are connected correctly and I have a newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64) than linked to on this board.

Thanks
Attachments
screenshot.jpg

frosty3907

Post by frosty3907 » 10 May 2013, 07:03

Can this do static friction, no slip?

gitarrenvogel

Post by gitarrenvogel » 15 Jun 2013, 15:30

Hey, this looks very interesting, but it doesn't work at my computer. I get this message: // INFO : ICE PHYSX SPH: Succefully created PxWorld! - but the emit compound and the simulate fluid compounds in the pointclouds ICE-tree both are red.
I'm on Windows 7 and Softimage 2014 64-bit and a newer version of the C++ from your link. Am I doing something wrong, or is this not compatible?

Cheers Lukas

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 15 Jun 2013, 16:09

2014 simage seems to introduce some backward compatability changes in SDK, i will recompile libs soon to see if it is the problem or something else

gitarrenvogel

Post by gitarrenvogel » 15 Jun 2013, 16:18

that was quick - thank you :)

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 15 Jun 2013, 16:24

I simply get a notifications on my email from all my threads :)

druitre

Post by druitre » 17 Jun 2013, 12:11

Hello mr Core, I think this may be related: I haven't been abe to get the PhysX compounds to work on the GPU ("CUDA support failed!") since I started on the Redshift alpha (in march). Redshift uses CUDA so I also updated all drivers and CUDA-related stuff and maybe some other stuff as well at that point, hence maybe compatibility problems somewhere? That was on 2013SP1, and I still have the same problem on 2014 & 2014 SP1.

Hope this helps, Jasper

gitarrenvogel

Post by gitarrenvogel » 17 Jun 2013, 13:25

Yeah, I'm also a Redshift-alpha-tester. Maybe that could be the problem.

mixepix

Post by mixepix » 21 Jun 2013, 14:06

Has anyone figured out the "CUDA support failed!"-thing yet? I tried it today and have the same issue. Pretty fast even without the GPU-acceleration though. :)
----------------------------------------
http://vimeo.com/mikaelpettersen

clankill3r

Post by clankill3r » 28 Jul 2013, 16:20

Mr. Core this looks really amazing!
I just ordered a new pc so i could render stuff with redshift. Looking into it i saw the video card i ordered had physx support and i wondered if lagoa did and i ended up here. Can't wait to try it out.

And maybe it's an idea to get acces to the redshift alpha as well.

druitre

Post by druitre » 28 Jul 2013, 19:08

If you manage to get the physx plugin to work on a system with redshift installed, please let me know. I haven't been able to use the gpu-accelerated physx since beginning of this year (since starting redshift alpha). It could be there is some Cudarelated conflict.

(Btw, don't be fooled by the relative speed of low count sims on the cpu, once you hit the millions of particles it really starts to crawl whereas on the gpu it just blazes along. Look for the 'CUDA: PhysX World created successfully!' message in the xsi message bar.)

elhemp

Post by elhemp » 13 Aug 2013, 09:49

First of all many thanks for this compound. It's a huge timesaver and great fun to work with.

I have several SPH simulations in one scene and get the following error when more then one sim is active:

Code: Select all

# ERROR : [PX][INTERNAL]:Foundation object exists already. Only one instance per process can be created.
# ERROR : [PX][SPH]: Unable to create Foundation!
# ERROR : [PX][SPH]: Unable to fill-in out positions
Is there a solution without restarting Si everytime I want to simulate another tree?

clankill3r

Post by clankill3r » 20 Aug 2013, 21:24

Seems like Mr.Core is no longer with us :(

I wondered, could it be that lagoa in future will support physx? Or is this not possible by the way how lagoa is constructed?
Hope someone knows.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 21 Aug 2013, 00:00

I don't think Lagoa will ever be developed anymore. It was a child of Thiago Costa.

clankill3r

Post by clankill3r » 21 Aug 2013, 00:29

yeah i know.
I mailed him, hope he replies.