Work in Progress: Fiat 850 Special Edition 1968

Comments on work in progress
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Work in Progress: Fiat 850 Special Edition 1968

Post by Hirazi Blue » 12 Aug 2009, 17:02

I might be horribly mistaken, but creating an override on the primary ray visibility sounds quite easy:
- Create a partition containing all objects you want to override
- Select the partition
- Get > Property > Override
- In the Override button: Add Parameters
- In the following picking session go to Visibility of one of the objects and pick "Primary Rays".
- Click on the override and make sure the "primary rays" is turned off, which it isn't when you start...

;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

shushens

Post by shushens » 12 Aug 2009, 17:47

Oopsie! I did not realize overriding one object would override every other object in the partition automatically!
I didn't realize :ymblushing:
Many thanks, man :D You're always here when we are in trouble :ymhug:

White border gone :ymparty:

Time to refine the shadow further...
My ill-maintained blog: http://visualdeceptions.info/blogger

origin

Post by origin » 13 Aug 2009, 00:37

photo exposure in SI is kinda necessary If you're using so called "physical" values of sun (then If you dont have PE attached to camera render is completly white)

I always try to get the best lighting in 3d first, then do corrections in post.

I believe there are 2 or 3 free plugins for fusion to do tonemap.
Anyway simple highlight squeezing and such stuff can be done with color gain. stay away from color correct node.

farhaad_yousefi

Post by farhaad_yousefi » 13 Aug 2009, 04:03

cool.!!

shushens

Post by shushens » 13 Aug 2009, 11:00

origin wrote:photo exposure in SI is kinda necessary If you're using so called "physical" values of sun
Very good point! I asked you a question about this before. I did try using the PhysicalSun with values extremely high such as 1.0 or 0.85. Using PEC, the result looks pretty decent. But, there is also an HDRI contributing to the lighting. If I adjust my cd/m^2 such that the physical value looks alright, then the HDRI contribution gets totally rejected, because as a light source, it's much much weaker. In Max, for situations like this, they have a parameter called 'unitless'. Setting it to something like 8000 (I have no idea why!) keeps the sun and the HDRI both in play and the whole thing looks pretty good. I cannot seem to do it in XSI so I lower the PhysicalSun multiplier drastically low, like 0.015 (for bright cloudless noon) and use that with HDRI. With this workflow, it becomes kinda pointless to use PEC or Simple Tone Mapping, because there is no real high exposure that I want to control any more.

This is just a simple test. The left one has LUT 2.2 and the right one has LUT off. If I keep that on, things go so blown out that I can't control it anyway. As you can see, in the name of tone mapping, it has just killed all the contrast. Now the whole thing just looks monotonic, drab and dull. Definitely this is not the way to go. I am sure I am not doing something right, because a lot of people must be doing these things everyday, so it should not be that complex.

I really appreciate all that you are doing. :ymhug: XSI is like my passion and everything. When I get stuck with this, it feels awful.
My ill-maintained blog: http://visualdeceptions.info/blogger