Softimage 7.5 and Ubuntu Studio

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
Throbberwocky

Softimage 7.5 and Ubuntu Studio

Post by Throbberwocky » 21 Jul 2009, 15:29

Hi there,

currently I am seriously thinking about switching from Windows to Linux. After playing around with several linux distributions, I decided to stick with Ubuntu Studio. Everything works like a charm but unfortunately I was not able to install Softimage 7.5.

The problem is, that I have no clue how to start the Softimage setup routine. If I double click the Setup icon nothing happens. Do I have to start the setup from the terminal? If yes, how? Or does it mean that Softimage is not compatible with the Ubuntu Studio distribution?

So is anybody willing to share some Linux/Softimage experiences?

Thanks in advance
tom 8)

miga

Re: Softimage 7.5 and Ubuntu Studio

Post by miga » 21 Jul 2009, 18:13

Have a look at this thread: http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php? ... adid=37987
There is a small how to.
or this one: http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php? ... adid=38971
Its for Fedora but the steps are basically the same.

Have Softimage running under Gentoo Linux for a while now. Everything works fine and smooth. Some ATI drivers made it hard to work with it from time to time but 8.593 are fine now.

Throbberwocky

Post by Throbberwocky » 30 Jul 2009, 13:17

Hmmm, unfortunately there seem to be way too many issues with XSI on Linux to use it in production. Kinda sad ... I was hoping to leave the windows world behind.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 30 Jul 2009, 13:45

Did you try the "Fedora Core 5" distribution mentioned on softimage.com?
"Please note that Autodesk Softimage Version 7.5
may run on other distributions of Linux, however
these are neither tested nor supported by Autodesk."

This implies "Fedora Core 5" being actually supported, so one would hope this version that works best(?)! And if it doesn't: you can fall back on support... ;)

edit: Some time ago I read that Softimage shouldn't be forced to run on any Debian based distro, of which Ubuntu is one AFAIK, as there are specific problems with "mainwin" under Debian distros, while Softimage makes extensive use of "mainwin" in it's Linux incarnation...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Gith

Post by Gith » 08 Sep 2010, 18:06

miga wrote:Have Softimage running under Gentoo Linux for a while now. Everything works fine and smooth. Some ATI drivers made it hard to work with it from time to time but 8.593 are fine now.
Hi!

Could You please explain, how were You able to bypass the "moaudio.dll" bug when opening scenes? I Installed 7.5 on fedora, and it worked without any trouble, i did the same steps on Ubuntu 9.04, and the only thing wrong is opening scenes. When rendering it shows "moaudio.dll" missing bug. A guy on XSIBASE fixed it by updating sound library - libao from 0.8.5 to 0.8.6. But on ubuntu 9.04 i dont have any libao.. only libao2. I've tried downloading libao.0.8.6 and installing it manually as well as installing every other libao*, asla, oss libraries but it didnt work either.

Thanks in advance,
Gith