Why S key?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Nizar

Why S key?

Post by Nizar » 03 May 2011, 00:04

I'm pretty curios about: why SI develop team choice S key for interactive mode? What is the presumption advantage?
I come from Modo/Silo, and SI original interactive mode was a little trauma (and cannot map the infamous and useless Z zoom key...)

bottleofram

Re: Why S key?

Post by bottleofram » 03 May 2011, 13:51

Im interested about this too. You can say one key used consistently should be more centered than towards the edge of the keyboard so you can get better coverage but it still makes no considerable difference than having your thumb on alt key for example.

Guess selection tools just needed an extra key for loops/rings. Its not a bad solution ether, its just hard to get used to when almost all other major software uses alt/space for navigation.

Oh well... system is as flexible as you like. Not many apps allow you to easily change things around if it doesn't work for you. SI, fortunately, does.

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 03 May 2011, 14:16

I have some doubts about: the ALT+MMB loop selection can break modelling workflow (you must deactivate your selection manipulator (move, scale or rotate), then select your loop and after this reactivate your manipulator. Nothing so terrible, but a nit slow IMO.
Don't how is loop selection (or other interaction) in Maya Interaction Move

About S key, agree, it is more central in your keyboard, but it is identical to other keys, instead Alt key is bigger and more easy to find by touch.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 03 May 2011, 15:00

i always loved the S key, also i'm a "right click property" fan user, i love software that uses the right click on things and the properties of that thing you are on pops up.
i always hated maya spacebar navigation for this reason, its too intrusive to do every task, S and alt+right click is just great to me :D

ShaderOp

Post by ShaderOp » 03 May 2011, 15:20

I have no idea.

But if I were to hazard a guess, I would say it's probably because Softimage was basically the only game in town back then. So Alt-Left/Middle/Right mouse navigation was yet to become a standard. You can see the same thing in Ye Olde Lightwave, which goes a long way back and has its own funky navigation method.

Just a guess though.

P.S. The S key navigation and sticky keys are teh awesome.

rray

Post by rray » 03 May 2011, 15:28

S key doesn't work for me at all, I have to use the thumb for navigation, force of habit.

I put nav on the spacebar, so panning is the same as in the Adobe apps.

Using the Alt key for navigation would be ok but it makes my thumb ache after 5 minutes of modeling because it's too far to the left.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 03 May 2011, 15:38

I like the S key, in any case I think, after take habit, all navigation type is good.

Only strange to me this preference (why not G key, i.e. is more central). In XSI you can cage all the button (I find how remapping Z key!), but not the mouse button.

Wha is the LW navigation button? Is not ALT key?

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 03 May 2011, 20:43

I do the same as rray. I put nav on the space bar. It's close to alt so it doesn't completely mess me up for other apps that use the alt key and it feels natural to me.

Memag

Post by Memag » 03 May 2011, 21:23

I use ALT key navigation.
I put my selection tool and loop/range function on Q key.
So when I hold Q I get loop/range function, no need for another key.

TAB for tweak tool,
CTRL+TAB for prev/next manipulator,
SHIFT+TAB for view plane pivot transform tool .

Pretty handy and easy.

dwigfor

Post by dwigfor » 03 May 2011, 21:41

S is comfortable for me, since my hand is used to that placement with FPS shooters... WASD...

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 04 May 2011, 13:14

I use ALT key navigation.
I put my selection tool and loop/range function on Q key.
So when I hold Q I get loop/range function, no need for another key.

TAB for tweak tool,
CTRL+TAB for prev/next manipulator,
SHIFT+TAB for view plane pivot transform tool .

Pretty handy and easy.
Look nice. As Dwigfor wrote, I find S key comfortable, but when I use another application, my fingers twist on keyboard :)
I case, the Memag solution don't resolve my little issue: when you must select a loop you must exit the tool you use (move, scale or rotate), select loops and then reactivate tool. I find this, in fast and efficient XSI workflow, a bit slow and not so comfortable. it is not a real problem, only a little thing

Memag

Post by Memag » 04 May 2011, 13:23

Nizar wrote: I case, the Memag solution don't resolve my little issue: when you must select a loop you must exit the tool you use (move, scale or rotate), select loops and then reactivate tool. I find this, in fast and efficient XSI workflow, a bit slow and not so comfortable. it is not a real problem, only a little thing
Actually you can just press and hold Q (sticky key)
so when you release it you'll be back to your former tool (translate/rotate/scale).
I think it eliminates need for additional loop/range key, as it is in fact a selection tool method.
You don't have to engage selection tool and then loop/range again, just use sticky.

It would be great if there is "on mouse double click" event or full mouse customization.
That's what made Silo comfortable and fast modeler, IMHO.

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 04 May 2011, 13:29

Actually you can just press and hold Q (sticky key)
so when you release it you'll be back to your former tool (translate/rotate/scale).
I think it eliminates need for additional loop/range key, as it is in fact a selection tool method.
You don't have to engage selection tool and then loop/range again, just use sticky.
Great solution! So you use the Maya Interaction move and cage only the loop key?

Memag

Post by Memag » 04 May 2011, 13:34

Yes. I don't miss any of ALT enabled tools, like fan.
Navigation, manipulation and selection can be accessed with index and thumb combo.
I cycle through manipulators with CTRL+TAB, so that eliminates E and R keys.Or any two manipulation keys of the Maya interaction keyset.
I mapped 1,2,3,4 to component /object filters and F1-F4 to selection modes (raycast,lasso,rectangle...), so it's custom keyset.
It suits me so it doesn't have to be comfortable to you.
Last edited by Memag on 04 May 2011, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 May 2011, 13:38

Memag wrote:Yes. I don't miss any of ALT enabled tools, like fan.
...although a fan tool could come in handy during summer...
(Sorry, couldn't resist...)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Memag

Post by Memag » 04 May 2011, 13:43

Or in the backstage of your rock gig.
(Fan - fanatical enthusiast or supporter ) :ymblushing: