Mray & Battle LA

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
McNistor

Mray & Battle LA

Post by McNistor » 25 Mar 2011, 20:28

Not really, the title is intended to be misleading LOL in order to catch your attention and I apologize for this. :)

This is about a problem I'm currently having:
when I apply a Property> Lens Flare to a point light it seems that if I activate light attenuation on the soft_light shader, the lens effect is not showing.
From playing with attenuation settings it seems that the lens_flare shader is affected by these settings.
How can I avoid this?
And if this cannot be avoided, can you please tell a different approach/workflow?

Thanks.

p.s. Hiraziblue please don't edit the title haha. thanks

Moderator edit: I'll allow it this once... Please don't do it again... :ympray: X( ;) - HB
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Mray & Battle LA

Post by Hirazi Blue » 25 Mar 2011, 20:50

If you're using "Use Light Exponent" (under "Distance Attentuation/Light Falloff/Mode") you'd have to play with the Exponent value in your light shader. You could switch the mode to "Linear" instead...
Use Light Exponent: (...)
This option uses the light’s Exponent value to determine the falloff. The default value is 2. A high value such as 5 causes light to fall off very quickly, whereas a smaller value such as 0.1 makes the falloff more gradual.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 25 Mar 2011, 21:30

Thanks for your fast respond, Hirazi.
Unfortunately, this doesn't solve my problem. I've switched to linear, played with exponent value, attenuation values in both linear and exponential instances and none appears to work.
My case is this: i have one stroboscopic light on the tale of an helicopter. I want the light to affect the fuselage but not too far and also a flare/star/
glow effect on the light.
If I disable the attenuation the effect on the light is OK, but the fuselage is lit all the way till the habitacle. ENable the attenuation and teh light is affecting just the surroundings (just as I want and as it is natural) but the flare on the (point) light is not visible anymore.

p.s. Thanks for allowing it this time. I wouldn't dare use this "technique" twice. :)
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 25 Mar 2011, 22:07

Very silly idea (but it could well be I misunderstand the problem again):
split your helicopter into two objects and work some "old fashioned" inclusive/exclusive light magic... 8-}

Or: if all else fails: do it in post... =((
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 25 Mar 2011, 22:29

I think I'll just have to resort to that: post :(
Splitting the heli into multiple pieces - while simple and straight forward - might be the killer (uncool factor) for this approach. I'll just play around and let you know what I've come up with.
-Thucydides