Contests?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Rez007

Contests?

Post by Rez007 » 28 Nov 2010, 22:26

I was just curious if this community will ever be holding an art contest like CGtalk does? I know a lot of work goes into it, but that would be something that would definitely boost this community's presence. I noticed that Autodesk is not a sponsor this year for the annual challenge at the other site, which is disappointing, but if one would be held here, maybe Bellsey or Luc-Eric could possibly talk to someone at Autodesk about throwing a single copy in of Softimage to start, or continuing someone's subscription for a couple of years if they are already on subscription as a grand prize. I would think just one donated prize should grab the interest of many for a first go around. Just a thought, as I think it would be fun.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Contests?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 28 Nov 2010, 22:33

Ah, contests :-$
The first (and so far only) contest we did actually organize (the "emContest")
didn't generate quite as many entries as we had hoped for (to put it mildly), frustrating everyone involved...

But a good idea and a new grand prize might obviously change everything... ;)

(If someone in-the-know would give me a hint who @ Autodesk
one should ask/beg for sponsoring prizes, that would be a nice start...)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Rez007

Re: Contests?

Post by Rez007 » 28 Nov 2010, 22:43

Yeah, that emContest looked cool and the prize was nice also. I wanted to do that one, but for me the timing was bad. I hadn't even touched ICE at that time, and learning that with the emProducts, along with the other things I was doing, I figured I didn't have the time to put in a good effort. If you do end up doing a contest, one suggestion I have, which is something I dislike a lot about the CGtalk competition, because they allow this, would be to restrict the use of premade models. I feel it takes away from the actual work that goes into a nice piece. I just see too many pieces of art that use premade models, and to me it takes away from the artwork - as is - some people would possibly just buy the models and arrange them nicely and call it a day. Making everyone actually do the work, also promotes in the use of learning and understanding the software they are using. :)