Staying in touch...

Discussions about si-community.com. You can post here as a guest.
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Staying in touch...

Post by Hirazi Blue » 15 Dec 2023, 18:32

Anyone with a bright idea how to say in touch after this community has shut down?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

laseraptor

Re: Staying in touch...

Post by laseraptor » 16 Dec 2023, 11:37

Maybe a Discord server or a Google Groups?
When will the site be closed? Also, maybe archive this forum for offline viewing.
Google Drive has 15 GB of free space. How much does the forum take up on server storage?

opoppopopp

Post by opoppopopp » 16 Dec 2023, 20:15

Yes, I think we need offline viewing, no only the Resource channel, but also all the informative threads...(keep the search function working...)

matevil

Post by matevil » 18 Dec 2023, 10:52

Discord group should be a good idea for staying in contact, but it may not good for storage.

SPJ

Post by SPJ » 28 Dec 2023, 01:47

Discord, for sure, to keep in touch. I've been wondering about the best way to store a snapshot of the forum somewhere too?? If the URL redirected to a page that has the discord that would help funnel people towards the group so they don't lose connection.

I'm going to pop my LinkedIn and IG here so that we can create other connections. Perhaps everyone else that reads this should also post their social deets?

https://www.instagram.com/steve.animates/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/spjefferies/

matevil

Post by matevil » 28 Dec 2023, 11:31

SPJ wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 01:47 Discord, for sure, to keep in touch. I've been wondering about the best way to store a snapshot of the forum somewhere too?? If the URL redirected to a page that has the discord that would help funnel people towards the group so they don't lose connection.

I'm going to pop my LinkedIn and IG here so that we can create other connections. Perhaps everyone else that reads this should also post their social deets?

https://www.instagram.com/steve.animates/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/spjefferies/
I started working on the Discord group, need to add the rules and some descriptions if you can wait for a few I finish it before the new year.

the big question is how to save resources like this resources.php also the documentation I can host on my website, but (maybe) we should take a few not all, some tools are very old and not used today.

Matteo

SPJ

Post by SPJ » 29 Dec 2023, 00:12

Pop up the Discord link when you're all set Matteo. Thanks for the follow on IG. Do you wanna pop up your IG profile for others too?

I remember seeing a backup .zip of the resources viewtopic.php?p=58564, though this seems to be up to 2016.

It would be good to get a figure on the file size of the forum and the resources, if Oliver could maybe help with that number crunching?

Cheers!

matevil

Post by matevil » 29 Dec 2023, 11:41

SPJ wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 00:12 Pop up the Discord link when you're all set Matteo. Thanks for the follow on IG. Do you wanna pop up your IG profile for others too?

I remember seeing a backup .zip of the resources viewtopic.php?p=58564, though this seems to be up to 2016.

It would be good to get a figure on the file size of the forum and the resources, if Oliver could maybe help with that number crunching?

Cheers!
it's still in progress I open a discussion here - viewtopic.php?t=7374

luceric

Post by luceric » 03 Jan 2024, 05:15

am I correct that discords can vanish even quicker than forums, and they are not archived anywhere like on the wayback machine. Everything is a discord nowdays, but they're also a mess and ephemeral.

matevil

Post by matevil » 03 Jan 2024, 13:45

luceric wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 05:15 am I correct that discords can vanish even quicker than forums, and they are not archived anywhere like on the wayback machine. Everything is a discord nowdays, but they're also a mess and ephemeral.
on Discord you can set the channel like text or forum. If you set "Forum" you can have all posts like a normal forum, obviously if you delete the server (= group) you lose all. That should be a good solution for a stay-in-contact like a Facebook/google/LinkedIn group.

This is my opinion

Matteo