Cycles for Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Sycles 2.1.3Author: Shekn @si-community
V 2.1.3 released August 2023 —

This is a full integration of the Blender Cycles renderer into XSI. This update is a complete rewrite for the latest Cycles version from 2023 and has support for the following Softimage features (quoted from the download page):

Polygon meshes and hair geometry Texture coordinates Vertex colors Shaderball preview. For materials, shader nodes and texture nodes Basic limited support of the following buil-in Softimage shader nodes: Phong, Lambert, Hair Shading, Image, converters between vector, color and scalar Ambience global environment light Limited support of built-in Softimage light sources Model instances ICE strands geometry ICE poitcloud instances ICE geometry attributes (vector, color and scalar) with context per-point and per-object Volume rendering. In particular supports emFluid, Explosia FX and openVDB for Softimage volumes Special VDB Primitive for rendering vdbs without ICE Output multilayered exr file with all rendered passe Rendermaps

The following features from Cycles itself are supported: CPU and GPU rendering. In particular multidevices are supported. This allows to use cpu and gpu simultaneously. Note: This distribution does not contains libraries for gpu rendering. You can download it from here. Unpack the archive and place lib folder to the /Sycles_2_1_2/Application/Plugins/ folder near the file config.ini All Cycles shader nodes OSL shaders OpenColorIO profiles (Blender profile included) All Cycles output passes (Combined, Depth, Normal and so on) Color and value shader AOVs Lightgroups Cycles camera properties, in particular all panorama modes Cycles light sources Denoising by using Open Image Denoise and OptiX denoiser

For more information, full documentation and a list of the available Cycles nodes see the download page linked below. There is no local backup because the addon is still frequently updated - the plugin can be downloaded on Shekn's github releases. The source code is available on github there well.

News concerning 3D DCC business
I3D

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by I3D » 17 Jan 2023, 11:35

3080 RTX working, thank you Shekn 🙏

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 17 Jan 2023, 16:51

Works for me :)
Thanks a lot Shekn
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

avalon_70

Post by avalon_70 » 18 Jan 2023, 03:06

Thanks for all the work you are doing Shekn. ^:)^
Testing the new version I realized one thing, the "image" nodes premultiply the alpha channel by default, among other things without the possibility of choice.
An option to choose whether to use alpha or not would be handy.

avalon_70

Post by avalon_70 » 18 Jan 2023, 03:58

I found a bug.
I'm famous for this, my fellow programmers hated me for it.. :D :))
By internally linking the image node in a compound, Sycles crashes.
Even doing the same test in a normal texture crashed the whole computer.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 18 Jan 2023, 14:57

i've noticed that there are quite some parameters missing, i dont know if they also got removed from the blender cycles but, the progressive render option isnt there anymore, and so the cache geometry option which was handy
everytime i use a render region it takes a bit to load because it probably calculate all geometry in the scene everytime

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 18 Jan 2023, 20:38

Hi Shekn

it seems HDRMaster doesn't work anymore with the last sycles plugin ;)
Phil

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 19 Jan 2023, 08:49

avalon_70: thank you very much. Both your notes are accepted. I will fix it.

Maximus: about progressive mode. By default the render always use progressive mode. In fact there are no other modes in Cycles. But there is some secondary parameter, which allows to mimic the tiling render mode. In Blender you can activate Performance - Memory - Use Tiling and set small tile size (32 or 64). In this case it will render each separate small tile instead of the whole image. Under the hood it store intermediate render results in separate exr-file in the system temp directory (user don't know about it, but this file is created and destroyed after render ends). In Sycles there are some problems with these temporary files, so, this tiling mode is hidden from the UI.

About geometry cache. It does not needed anymore. Sycles use internal Softimage caching system and in some cases it update scene changes without recreating internal render scene from scratch. But in some cases it should do this (recreate the scene). It happens when you create or delete a new object, hide or unhide something, change hierarhy or add property to the object. In all these cases it's more easy and clear to create the new scene for the renderer instead of use the scene from the previous render call. Of course, for heavy scenes it takes some additional time. But if you change materials, camera position, object positions, light sources parameters, then it should only update these changes, and render should start very fast.

wireframex: HDRMaster does not work, because ImageTexture node is changed. This addon should be updated, and it's quite easy. May be when I found some additional time.

opoppopopp

Post by opoppopopp » 19 Jan 2023, 13:38

Shekn wrote: 19 Jan 2023, 08:49 ...But if you change materials, camera position, object positions, light sources parameters, then it should only update these changes, and render should start very fast...
Can we have a toggle in UI, to force this mode?
(Force NOT to update geometry, but ONLY "materials, camera position, object positions" etc.)
To eliminate any unnecessary scene re-export, in case something dirty the scene wrongly, and trigger that export.

BTW. maybe it sounds useless, but for my daily Sycles experience, it really help me to avoid unnecessary update
Hard to explain its difference than set render region update to manually which I currently rely on.

avalon_70

Post by avalon_70 » 19 Jan 2023, 14:32

Hi Shekn, I can't find the "background" tab in the render panel.
Was it moved somewhere else?
In the "Denoising" tab there is only the "OpenImage" entry, but I'm testing it with a GTX 1070, is that the reason? :)

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 20 Jan 2023, 08:43

opoppopopp: I will try to think, is t possible to implement something like "non-accurate update" mode. In this mode we should update only items which should and can be updated, and ignore all other items. As I understand this is exactly you mean.

avalon_70: Background tab is now called World (as in Blender). Background color can be defined by built-in Softimage Ambience parameter.

About OptiX denoising. At the start the addon use built-in Cycles render function to detect what render devices are allowed. If there is some OptiX device, then it show OptiX denoiser in the list of denoisers. But if by some reasons OptiX device is not allowed, then it shows only OIDN denoiser. I don't fully understand how Cycles render detects available devices.

opoppopopp

Post by opoppopopp » 20 Jan 2023, 16:34

Shekn wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 08:43 "non-accurate update" mode. In this mode we should update only items which should and can be updated, and ignore all other items.
Yes.
"non-accurate, so that its guaranteed a faster region update"

Because for heavy scenes, in my experiences, many trivial touch here and there, will often trigger a full scene re-export...

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 20 Jan 2023, 19:53

avalon_70 wrote: 19 Jan 2023, 14:32 In the "Denoising" tab there is only the "OpenImage" entry, but I'm testing it with a GTX 1070, is that the reason? :)
When you have an OptiX GPU compatible you will get this :

avalon_70

Post by avalon_70 » 21 Jan 2023, 06:51

Shekn wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 08:43
avalon_70: Background tab is now called World (as in Blender). Background color can be defined by built-in Softimage Ambience parameter.

About OptiX denoising. At the start the addon use built-in Cycles render function to detect what render devices are allowed. If there is some OptiX device, then it show OptiX denoiser in the list of denoisers. But if by some reasons OptiX device is not allowed, then it shows only OIDN denoiser. I don't fully understand how Cycles render detects available devices.
Ah, I understand. However, the transparency parameters are missing:

I tried on my laptop which has the RTX 3060, and optix is ​​present (but I had to update the drivers first!) :)

avalon_70

Post by avalon_70 » 21 Jan 2023, 06:52

wireframex wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 19:53
avalon_70 wrote: 19 Jan 2023, 14:32 In the "Denoising" tab there is only the "OpenImage" entry, but I'm testing it with a GTX 1070, is that the reason? :)
When you have an OptiX GPU compatible you will get this :

Thank you :)

I3D

Post by I3D » 21 Jan 2023, 11:44

avalon_70 wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 06:51 Ah, I understand. However, the transparency parameters are missing:
It's actually in the film tab, just like in Sycles.

avalon_70

Post by avalon_70 » 21 Jan 2023, 13:16

I3D wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 11:44
avalon_70 wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 06:51 Ah, I understand. However, the transparency parameters are missing:
It's actually in the film tab, just like in Sycles.
OOkk, thank you.
rather curious position.. :D