Kristinka Hair 3 - Emit from Polymesh -- Error

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
AmiCGIgirl

Kristinka Hair 3 - Emit from Polymesh -- Error

Post by AmiCGIgirl » 17 Mar 2022, 14:31

Hi guys,

I am getting an error when attempting to use KH3, Emit from Polymesh node. The error ice is giving me is: "The point locator reference resolved to a geometry and is invalid".

This produces a red error color on the KH3, Emit from Polymesh node.

I'm not sure where I've gone wrong because I've got the get data node referencing the polymesh hair emitter and strands seem to be produced as expected, yet the node is red and I'm getting this error.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong... any ideas ?

Cheers,

Ami

AmiCGIgirl

Re: Kristinka Hair 3 - Emit from Polymesh -- Error

Post by AmiCGIgirl » 17 Mar 2022, 14:56

Update: On further investigation it seems that this may have something to do with the texture coordinates. In the example provided with KH3, the follow nurbs lite example, I can see that in the scene explorer under mesh_emitter there is a clusters folder and in this folder it says Texture_Coordinates_AUTO However, in scene I'm working on I have a clusters folder but it says: Sample

I don't understand why mine is different or what I've done wrong.

AmiCGIgirl

Post by AmiCGIgirl » 17 Mar 2022, 21:33

UPDATE: My problem seems to be tied to the following: Get KH_MeshPolyID. The error says that the required attribute does not exist on the object (mesh emitter). Anyone have any ideas ?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 17 Mar 2022, 23:17

Hello
first of all, thank you for using this thing, almost eight years since I made the last version.
About "'emit from polymesh", in this case there should be ICE tree on poly mesh, with "initialize polymesh emmiter" compound applied. Ice tree should be active, all the time. If mesh is frozen for any reason, just re-create ICE tree.
Poly mesh - emitter should be triangulated. If not, it should work anyway, but, with unwanted, irregular distribution of hairs.
About texture projection, generally it's not necessary, however there is a chance that some compound needs this. Honestly I'm not sure, it was long time ago... "Sample" as a name of texture projection, possibly is result of obj file import. You can rename this to usual "Texture_Coordinates_AUTO".
If you are using samples, be sure to save SI file and (maybe) reload SI - samples are created in really old SI 7.01 version.
About Arnold - Kristinka was used a lot with that renderer. I think you need to use Arnold hair shader on ICE point cloud, and that's all.
If you have any more questions, I'm listening...

AmiCGIgirl

Post by AmiCGIgirl » 18 Mar 2022, 01:20

Hello Mathaeus and thank you so much for your VERY kind reply. I managed to get it working at last and I "think" that my issue was that I had neglected the "initialize polymesh emmiter", somehow I overlooked that...oops! I really appreciate all these wonderful hints and tips as they confirm all the little things I found while trying to debug my scene. I did also get Arnold working as well... so bit by bit my knowledge is increasing albeit slowly :-) Lastly, thank you so much for creating these amazing tools (even if it's been a long time) it just proves how far ahead of everyone else the Softimage development community was ! Cheers, Ami :-)

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 08 Aug 2022, 04:15

Mathaeus wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 23:17 Hello
first of all, thank you for using this thing, almost eight years since I made the last version.
I am curious if it will work with SYCles....

Surface_VR

Post by Surface_VR » 09 Aug 2022, 15:06

Sycles manual, page 19-21, explains PrincipledHairBSDF in the Kristinka Hair sample.
The point is that it is a Strand, so Attributes and so on work without any problems.

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 16 Sep 2023, 06:12

Are there any recent 2022-2023 Simple run-and-gun kristinka hair tutorials with forces applied? Like collisions and wind?

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 18 Sep 2023, 02:00

sirdavid32 wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 06:12 Are there any recent 2022-2023 Simple run-and-gun kristinka hair tutorials with forces applied? Like collisions and wind?
SirDavid !! :ymhug: :p

For kristinka, I was already thinking of making like a "simple HairDew"
(which was mostly based on "kristinka" & "Strand Collision Framework" )
because although it simplified some things, it converted to and from everything including SI-Hairs, regular curves and strands,
(to take advantage of each) but a "strands only" solution could be "good-enough" and probably faster as each conversion would involve some overhead, while not necessary most of the time.

Also, simulated long hair still seems to be a "tricky thing" in either Houdini or Maya, while Blender is actually looking good or "not bad" in that arena
(simulating poly-strips binding strand hairlocks with interpolation)

Otherwise for Sycles, I have yet to render ANYTHING in the more recent version,
I went trough the new things list since my last go at it, and there is ALOT of new stuff.
(at least for me, and more on that later)

in any event, cheers & nice seeing you again! ~o) B-)