Cycles for Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Sycles 2.1.3Author: Shekn @si-community
V 2.1.3 released August 2023 —

This is a full integration of the Blender Cycles renderer into XSI. This update is a complete rewrite for the latest Cycles version from 2023 and has support for the following Softimage features (quoted from the download page):

Polygon meshes and hair geometry Texture coordinates Vertex colors Shaderball preview. For materials, shader nodes and texture nodes Basic limited support of the following buil-in Softimage shader nodes: Phong, Lambert, Hair Shading, Image, converters between vector, color and scalar Ambience global environment light Limited support of built-in Softimage light sources Model instances ICE strands geometry ICE poitcloud instances ICE geometry attributes (vector, color and scalar) with context per-point and per-object Volume rendering. In particular supports emFluid, Explosia FX and openVDB for Softimage volumes Special VDB Primitive for rendering vdbs without ICE Output multilayered exr file with all rendered passe Rendermaps

The following features from Cycles itself are supported: CPU and GPU rendering. In particular multidevices are supported. This allows to use cpu and gpu simultaneously. Note: This distribution does not contains libraries for gpu rendering. You can download it from here. Unpack the archive and place lib folder to the /Sycles_2_1_2/Application/Plugins/ folder near the file config.ini All Cycles shader nodes OSL shaders OpenColorIO profiles (Blender profile included) All Cycles output passes (Combined, Depth, Normal and so on) Color and value shader AOVs Lightgroups Cycles camera properties, in particular all panorama modes Cycles light sources Denoising by using Open Image Denoise and OptiX denoiser

For more information, full documentation and a list of the available Cycles nodes see the download page linked below. There is no local backup because the addon is still frequently updated - the plugin can be downloaded on Shekn's github releases. The source code is available on github there well.

News concerning 3D DCC business
Shekn

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by Shekn » 20 Sep 2021, 17:25

Yes, you are right. I have the same issue. I will try to understand, why it happens.

opoppopopp

Post by opoppopopp » 20 Sep 2021, 22:45

Maximus wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 09:33 im having issues on rendering high pixel dimension images, anyone have noticed some problems going above 5000 pixels format?
My cpu usage stays at 10% the whole rendering time, i have to cancel the rendering task because it takes forever.
Try increase "tile size"?
to like 512,
I remember, in a previous quick project, solo CPU, 7000px, 128*128 only at ~10% but 512*512 give me 100% (at lease for that particular scene)

I know in theory, CPU should use relative "small" tiles size, and opposite for GPU

BTW, I also think, 100% utilisation, not necessary mean the quickest/optimised frame time, am I wrong?
image-asset.png
image-asset.png (11.5 KiB) Viewed 4285 times

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 21 Sep 2021, 14:06

unfortunately changing the tile size doesnt help.

I have another issue with multiple UV, when i want to control other kind of UV to apply text and some other effects.
I can not find a way to have Cycles read the different UV depending on the projection/subprojection applied for the texture i wanna use.
I've read the "manual" and also checked the cycles blender manual where it just says to use cycles attribute, but in this case it doesnt work on softimage for some reason
Im following the way descriped in the cycles pdf from shekn, and it doesnt work

here is a link

this is quite a crucial thing to have, hope its a bug or im doing something wrong. Im using 2 textures, one is the grudge texture the other is a simple text which it doesnt show on render.

p.s. in this example the second Texture_Projection1 node is set on Repeat, but even if i change it to "Extend" it doesnt work. I applied the Mesh property with "save all UV coordinates but nothing.

i also followed this tutorial "" where he uses the attribute node but it doesnt work on Softimage

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 21 Sep 2021, 21:23

ok installing the latest version fixed the issue, both cycUVMap and cycAttribute now works as intended...

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 11 Oct 2021, 19:25

Hi

Just to tell you Softimage works perfectly with the last windows 11 x64
I will work more years with SI then ;)
Cheers
Phil
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

I3D

Post by I3D » 12 Oct 2021, 00:21

wireframex wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 19:25 Hi

Just to tell you Softimage works perfectly with the last windows 11 x64
I will work more years with SI then ;)
Cheers
Phil
A well built software, not like it's pissy caca replacement :D

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 14 Oct 2021, 12:29

anyone have any issues with hdri showing in the backgorund? i tried everything even on hdri master, it always renders black on the environment

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 15 Oct 2021, 07:50

To see the background in the render image, you should turn off the parameter Transparent in the Background tab in the render settings.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 15 Oct 2021, 21:11

Shekn wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 07:50 To see the background in the render image, you should turn off the parameter Transparent in the Background tab in the render settings.
thanks you are always the best ^:)^

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 17 Oct 2021, 18:38

I understand the reason of the slow render process when it renders a big image. And I can not fix it. The problem is in the communication of the render engine with the Softimage. This slowdown occurs in the moment when the engine render the tile and sent it to the Softimage to draw it on the screen. I will add in the next release the parameter to ignore tiles drawing during the rendering. This is not perfect solution, but at least it fix the issue. Alternatively it is possible to render final big image by using default xsi-batch command. This also works at the maximal performance.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 17 Oct 2021, 20:44

Shekn wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 18:38 I understand the reason of the slow render process when it renders a big image. And I can not fix it. The problem is in the communication of the render engine with the Softimage. This slowdown occurs in the moment when the engine render the tile and sent it to the Softimage to draw it on the screen. I will add in the next release the parameter to ignore tiles drawing during the rendering. This is not perfect solution, but at least it fix the issue. Alternatively it is possible to render final big image by using default xsi-batch command. This also works at the maximal performance.
thanks man!

opoppopopp

Post by opoppopopp » 18 Oct 2021, 19:15

Shekn wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 18:38 ...This slowdown occurs in the moment when the engine render the tile and sent it to the Softimage to draw it on the screen
Thanks !
The drawing blocking the rendering ?
Your "temperate" solution is make sense.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 26 Oct 2021, 09:27

hey Shekn, im having an issue with sCycles not recognizing scattering and rendering blank pointclouds.
I use SiScatter and Scatter Tools from milan vasek here are the link for download:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5003 - addon: http://si-community.com/download/lb/jul ... r.xsiaddon

milan vasek Scatter tools: http://si-community.com/download/lb/mil ... 1.xsiaddon

These are fairly simple scattering ice addons for scattering, but for some reason it doesnt work, even with pointcloud basic geometry, neither with instance shapes.

is there a simple way to have these work? thanks

p.s. after some testing it looks like if you pull out a "init particle data" from an emit from geometry compound, and plug this into an ice tree port AFTER the scatter compound it works, at least is a workaround for now

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 27 Oct 2021, 18:36

siScatter works without any additional tweaks. Empty pointcloud in the ScatterTools is not a bug, it's a feature. Actual this pointcloud is not empty, but it contains particles with zero scale. Some times ago someone in the thread asked to add scale attribute support to particle instances. Now Sycles multiply size and scale attribute for final particles transform. ScatterTool generate the pointcloud with zero scale, but default particle generator (for example, in Emit From Geometry) init particles with unit scale. So, to fix the issue, add SetData compound and setup the unit scale (attribute self.Scale).

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 28 Oct 2021, 15:07

Shekn wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 18:36 siScatter works without any additional tweaks. Empty pointcloud in the ScatterTools is not a bug, it's a feature. Actual this pointcloud is not empty, but it contains particles with zero scale. Some times ago someone in the thread asked to add scale attribute support to particle instances. Now Sycles multiply size and scale attribute for final particles transform. ScatterTool generate the pointcloud with zero scale, but default particle generator (for example, in Emit From Geometry) init particles with unit scale. So, to fix the issue, add SetData compound and setup the unit scale (attribute self.Scale).
thanks a lot !

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 01 Nov 2021, 21:29

Shekn how do you import a vdb sequence for animation? i checked the pdf guide but its apparently just for static single vdb, not a sequence, or am i wrong?