Cycles for Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Sycles 2.1.3Author: Shekn @si-community
V 2.1.3 released August 2023 —

This is a full integration of the Blender Cycles renderer into XSI. This update is a complete rewrite for the latest Cycles version from 2023 and has support for the following Softimage features (quoted from the download page):

Polygon meshes and hair geometry Texture coordinates Vertex colors Shaderball preview. For materials, shader nodes and texture nodes Basic limited support of the following buil-in Softimage shader nodes: Phong, Lambert, Hair Shading, Image, converters between vector, color and scalar Ambience global environment light Limited support of built-in Softimage light sources Model instances ICE strands geometry ICE poitcloud instances ICE geometry attributes (vector, color and scalar) with context per-point and per-object Volume rendering. In particular supports emFluid, Explosia FX and openVDB for Softimage volumes Special VDB Primitive for rendering vdbs without ICE Output multilayered exr file with all rendered passe Rendermaps

The following features from Cycles itself are supported: CPU and GPU rendering. In particular multidevices are supported. This allows to use cpu and gpu simultaneously. Note: This distribution does not contains libraries for gpu rendering. You can download it from here. Unpack the archive and place lib folder to the /Sycles_2_1_2/Application/Plugins/ folder near the file config.ini All Cycles shader nodes OSL shaders OpenColorIO profiles (Blender profile included) All Cycles output passes (Combined, Depth, Normal and so on) Color and value shader AOVs Lightgroups Cycles camera properties, in particular all panorama modes Cycles light sources Denoising by using Open Image Denoise and OptiX denoiser

For more information, full documentation and a list of the available Cycles nodes see the download page linked below. There is no local backup because the addon is still frequently updated - the plugin can be downloaded on Shekn's github releases. The source code is available on github there well.

News concerning 3D DCC business
Maximus

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by Maximus » 12 Sep 2021, 13:39

I have some issues with UV, basically when you apply some UV texture to an object and in the texture editor you apply some subprojection, Cycles doesnt update the UV. its quite a bummer, anyone have a solution?

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 12 Sep 2021, 14:21

It's not a bug, it's a feature. At the beginning of the render frame the system looks to attributes, required by renderer (uvs, vertex colors, ice-attributes). If there are no any new attributes, then it used it from the previous render session. So, if some of them are changed, the system does not recognize this. In some cases this increase the scene prepare time. In some cases (like in your case) this is inconvenient. Solution - turn off caching parameter in render settings. Then data for all objects will be exported from the Softimage to the renderer every time. This will increase the render time, but object attributes will be actuals.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 12 Sep 2021, 14:28

Shekn wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 14:21 It's not a bug, it's a feature. At the beginning of the render frame the system looks to attributes, required by renderer (uvs, vertex colors, ice-attributes). If there are no any new attributes, then it used it from the previous render session. So, if some of them are changed, the system does not recognize this. In some cases this increase the scene prepare time. In some cases (like in your case) this is inconvenient. Solution - turn off caching parameter in render settings. Then data for all objects will be exported from the Softimage to the renderer every time. This will increase the render time, but object attributes will be actuals.
If you mean "turno off caching parameter in render setting" to uncheck "cache mesh", i already have that thing turned off, there are no other caching settings in the render settings, and turning "cache mesh" off, doesnt solve the issue :/

p.s. ok Solved, it was my mistake, i had the cyctexturecoordinate output set on Generated instead of UV, that messed up the viewport/texture editor texture on the model. sorry :)
everything works, thanks shekn!

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 12 Sep 2021, 21:21

is there a guide on how to properly configure and use OCIO files? or Aces?

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 13 Sep 2021, 07:33

Hi @Shekn, I've configured the render options to be Sycles and selecting OSL in performance, in order to get to work with Toon shading (I want to create just the outlines)
I've deleted all "phong" references, even from the material preview so the "Q" quick render preview will work.
No matter what I do, I get "# WARNING : [SYCLES]: OSL shading system supports only for CPU-rendering. Switched to SVM shading system."
But I get no rendered material.
Do I need to setup an extra step somewhere?
Please help.
BTW: It is an amazing huge port! I would like to try the volume shaders and remeshers!

After a short wait, I got my render, but it looks horribly dented:

*** Update
When I turn off denoising (I was using optix, and switched to NLM), the dents go away and I get a clear render.

I can't get the outline by using SToon Deterministic when I combine it into a Mix RGB node.
I'm starting to think Stoon is not updated, because Emission shader works as expected with anything I plug it into.
Is there a chance to update Stoon as well, please?

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 13 Sep 2021, 17:15

1. Use only CPU device for rendering. OSL does not works with GPU.
2. SToon should works, but only with disabled caching.

Example is attached
Attachments
lines.png

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 13 Sep 2021, 19:33

These are the settings I am using. Even though I connect the Lineart deterministic or the SToon basic, I still get no outline nor color.
What other settings do I need to check?

Surface_VR

Post by Surface_VR » 14 Sep 2021, 10:44

Perhaps you're not changing the Scene Option to Cycles when you render?
It's the first item in the SToon_references pdf

Changing only the Region Option to Cycles will not result in a SToon.

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 14 Sep 2021, 15:40

It's not totally correct. Simple nodes, like LineArt, can be used in quick view with local render settings. But some more complex nodes, like EasyToon, requires additional data from the scene. This data sended before each frame is rendered. Of course, we don't want to send any data, when we rendering by using MentalRay or some other engine. That's why the system send data to shader nodes only when the scene's render is Cycles. In this case we should set the renderer not only on the local quick view, but also on scene settings.

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 16 Sep 2021, 15:44

Double checked there (caching scene: uncheck, CPU only: check) and render preview, render scene and render settings all set to Cycles.
I'm running out of options. I've sent the file on DM, Shekn. Thanks!

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 16 Sep 2021, 15:48

The background is not working either. It's a clear case: Am I missing to install any additional libraries on Softimage?
I'm using Windows 10, Softimage 2014

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 17 Sep 2021, 13:43

I found some bugs.

1. SToon based on osl-shaders. Each osl-shader is a text file. Before rendering the renderer convert it to the sequence of elementary codes and create oso-file with the same name in the same directory. So, the first bug was on comments in osl-files. Previous versions of the Cycles render can compile it without errors, but the latest version found syntax error and does not compile it. New versions of osl-files in the addon here: https://github.com/ssoftadd/SSoftAdd.gi ... 1.xsiaddon
2. Some osl-shaders in the addon requires file with the name "node_texture.h" which should be placed on Sycles addon directory - Application - Plugins - shader. Previous versions of the Cycles render contains this file, but in the latest version the content of this additional file was reorganized into other files. SToon is an old addon, so, it requires this file. It can be downloaded here: https://github.com/ssoftadd/SSoftAdd.gi ... _texture.h
3. As mentioned in the first item, before using osl-shader the system should convert it to compiled version with extension oso. If the folder with shader files placed on the system drive, then the system can block creation of these new files. There are two solutions here: install addon to the workgroup on a non-system drive, or copy compiled versions to the folder with original osl-files. These oso-files can be downloaded here: https://github.com/ssoftadd/SSoftAdd.gi ... _nodes.zip

Background parameter in the SToon global settings control only the lightning inside some SToon nodes and does not override Sycles background parameters.

In any case, the addon SToon looks unstable and inconvenient for using. May be it will be better to use default shader nodes (on svm mode) to simulate required toon effects. If it's possible.

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 17 Sep 2021, 16:23

Ok, thank you for the reply and this awesome update. I got step 1 and 2 done, but I'm struggling with step 3. I downloaded the precompiled versions from https://github.com/ssoftadd/SSoftAdd.gi ... _nodes.zip - Where do I put those files?
Do I place them in the same file path than node_texture.h?
I placed node_texture.h in : C:\Users\PC\Autodesk\Softimage_2014_SP2\Addons\Sycles\Application\Plugins\shader

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 17 Sep 2021, 16:33

All right, I managed to do the above reply for the folder location and now it is working fantastically:

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 17 Sep 2021, 16:43

Thank you so much Shekn! This is working now! I am amazed!!

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 20 Sep 2021, 09:33

im having issues on rendering high pixel dimension images, anyone have noticed some problems going above 5000 pixels format?
My cpu usage stays at 10% the whole rendering time, i have to cancel the rendering task because it takes forever.