Acceleration Blur Deformer using ICE?

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
I3D

Acceleration Blur Deformer using ICE?

Post by I3D » 09 Jul 2021, 05:23

Hi Guys

Does anyone know of an an ICE addon ever been released to SI that allows for similar effect to this:

or this discontinued plugin for C4D:

Any pointers on how to recreate it using ICE? (I know it's a very broad question :) )

opoppopopp

Re: Acceleration Blur Deformer using ICE?

Post by opoppopopp » 10 Jul 2021, 00:20

If you want this as a Interactive "Tool" instead of a "effect", Things goes complicated.

I first saw this interactive "Smear" effect even back in the days of XSI 7.0
There are already ICE Compounds shared by people 10+ years ago.

It is Simple "get data from previous frame" and delay points according to speed.

But I think due to:
"In versions above 7.01 (or probably 7.5), 'get data from previous frame', works only in simulated ICE tree"
BTW. I believe ScriptOP also suffers from this kind of things.
Those compound not working anymore. because:
Having a Simulation region in the stack means that the lower regions of the stack will be evaluated only on the first frame of the simulation, and subsequent frames will be based on the previous frame
If you want exactly "Blur Deformer", but as a Deform "effect" you can very easily done it with ICE.

edit: this post explain in more details
https://xsisupport.com/2013/07/18/ice-g ... er-frames/
smear.gif
smear.gif (227.03 KiB) Viewed 7954 times

I3D

Post by I3D » 10 Jul 2021, 01:30

Thanks opoppopopp

That is very informative, your example looks cool as well and is seems that is what I'm looking for.

I want aware of such changes that caused those limitations, thanks for the link.

I did perform a an extensive search before asking the question, I've tried acceleration blur, fake blur, motion blur effect, and today I've searched smear both in here and in xsisupport. None have shown up. In the example your showing, is it a compound your created or is it a compound that can be downloaded?
Thank you

opoppopopp

Post by opoppopopp » 10 Jul 2021, 02:07

I3D wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 01:30 Thanks opoppopopp

That is very informative, your example looks cool as well and is seems that is what I'm looking for.

I want aware of such changes that caused those limitations, thanks for the link.

I did perform a an extensive search before asking the question, I've tried acceleration blur, fake blur, motion blur effect, and today I've searched smear both in here and in xsisupport. None have shown up. In the example your showing, is it a compound your created or is it a compound that can be downloaded?
Thank you
Please notice, above example is Simulated, i.e. you can't use it for as an interactive tool
again, because a simulated stack instantly makes all your OPs below it stop evaluating after frame #1. so you lose all your Envelop/Shape/etc.

That "smear deform" it self, is insanely easy, as the pic below.
Tricky part is, you need something (e.g. cache, and offset it -1 frame) so that you get access to "previous frame" data.
smear tree.png

I3D

Post by I3D » 10 Jul 2021, 13:37

Hey opoppopopp

Thanks again for further clarification.

I believe I understand now. So if I were to build this "effect" using ICE then I will lose all interactivity because the limitation of using previous frame requires that I would simulate/cash the animation before applying the effect, thus loosing all envelope parameters and such. Is that correct?

If that is the case then this will be a limitation and it wouldn't be suitable for what I am trying to do, especially if I were to apply this to a character (well parts of it by using a weight map) that I am animating and refining the motion.

Thanks again opoppopopp

opoppopopp

Post by opoppopopp » 10 Jul 2021, 17:42

I3D wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 13:37 I believe I understand now. So if I were to build this "effect" using ICE then I will lose all interactivity because the limitation of using previous frame requires that I would simulate/cash the animation before applying the effect, thus loosing all envelope parameters and such. Is that correct?
Yes, this is what I want to explain.

but by fully understand the problem, we still "Possible" do a semi-Interactive usage of it, due to the extreme flexibility of our XSI.
No cache In this example, you still Interactively keying your rig, and scrub/playback on timeline to see the smear.
ICE_smear_7.0_above.gif
ICE_smear_7.0_above.gif (933.37 KiB) Viewed 7935 times