XSI to Blender Keymaps

New plugins, tools etc.
xsi_fanatic

XSI to Blender Keymaps

Post by xsi_fanatic » 07 Sep 2020, 10:43

Hello Folks,

For those that might be interested, I just uploaded a video demonstrating the Softimage keymap workflow for Blender.

Downloadable link included in the Youtube video.

Enjoy !

yashugan

Re: XSI to Blender Keymaps

Post by yashugan » 25 Oct 2020, 14:30

Wonderfull work, i feel now more confortable, also because i'm continuosly switching between sofimage and blender, and i was becaming crazy... Super!!!!!!!!!!!
I have question: I tryed the keymap and is super. But after i'm in EDIT mode (vertex face etc) i can't anymore go back in object mode with SPACE BAR and i have to select it from the mini menù on the top left corner of the window. It is correct or i'm doing some mistake?
Anyway amazing work .Thank you

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 25 Oct 2020, 23:54

yashugan wrote: 25 Oct 2020, 14:30 Wonderfull work, i feel now more confortable, also because i'm continuosly switching between sofimage and blender, and i was becaming crazy... Super!!!!!!!!!!!
I have question: I tryed the keymap and is super. But after i'm in EDIT mode (vertex face etc) i can't anymore go back in object mode with SPACE BAR and i have to select it from the mini menù on the top left corner of the window. It is correct or i'm doing some mistake?
Anyway amazing work .Thank you

Hi man,

I'm glad you find this useful. You should be able to go back to Object mode with the Spacebar.

If you're having errors like this, then your best solution would be to do Load Factory Reset, then delete XSI Keymaps, then reinstall Keymaps again. It should work now. This seems to be a bug from Blender's side.

Keep in mind that there are some minor differences with my Keymaps. For example, in XSI, to exit a modeling tools (Knife, Bevel ...etc), you hit Spacebar, but with my Keymap customization you have to hit B to end a modeling tool (Knife, Bevel, ...etc). Then hit Spacebar if you want to exit Component mode and go back to Object mode.

Some other minor differences, for example: If you want to extrude a polygon in XSI, it's Ctrl+D, but if you want to do an Inset in XSI you do Ctrl+D, then Scale down. Whereas in Blender you have to hit D for an inset. Ctrl + D still applies for extrude. Still same level of convenience, just minor differences because of Blender's API.

I plan to hire advanced programmers to improve Blender's UI and bring some XSI UI features into Blender, but no money sadly. Hopefully will do so sometime in the near future.

Let me know if Load Factory Reset fixes the problem.

Thanks again,
Jason

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 26 Oct 2020, 08:02

Thank you! Would be fantastic reproduce the workflow and some specific logic of the XSI interface.
The most missing stuf by the way, (in blender itself) are the schematich view, absolutely importat if a user cmanage complex rig to understand large hiearchy, and most of all the FLOATING VIEWS, or the custom buttons... what a sin...

If you need something, help or something else i'm on your side. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!