Affinity Photo?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Affinity Photo?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 08 Jul 2020, 10:57

Hi,
I was looking at purchasing Affinity Photo as an alternative to the GIMP (which annoys me) and Photoshop (which I cannot afford).
Any opinions? Or maybe alternatives in a similar price range?
Thanks in advance...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

gaboraa

Re: Affinity Photo?

Post by gaboraa » 10 Jul 2020, 07:08

I've been using it for a long time. It is a great companion to PS but if your work requires collaboration, PSD is your best option, and Affinity's PSD export option is limited. It works pretty well with non-complex PSD files but I wouldn't depend on it for pro work. Layer effects can be exported as a rasterized layer and I saw big differences when comparing the file in both PS and AF. It has a feature called live effects witch is great, for example, you can apply gaussian blur non-destructively as a filter and you can toggle it on or off later on. It has a convoluted alpha channel workflow if you are working with RGBA stuff. It is extremely frustrating and not as user friendly as PS. I learned it and now I cannot remember how to manipulate alpha channels with it. If you are working with PNG transparency you are fine.
Overall it really is fast and I haven't encountered any show stopper bug up until now plus no crashes yet which is pretty good.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 10 Jul 2020, 19:05

Thank you for that thorough response... :-bd
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 11 Jul 2020, 13:11

You have Krita too.