The extended life of Softimage..a question

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
adrencg

The extended life of Softimage..a question

Post by adrencg » 16 Apr 2020, 00:38

I'm still using Softimage because I just GET THINGS DONE when using it. I know it inside and out and I feel like I'm using a paintbrush. I've been learning Blender here and there over the past couple years and have made it to the point where I could see myself starting a real project for a paying client with it sometime soon. I've looked at Cinema4d but there's something about the way it does things that I just don't like. Blender feels like a more natural fit and the rate of development has been incredible although there are a few things the devs have been dragging their feet on improving, like fixing the Subd modifier that they broke on the upgrade to 2.8. I'm getting to my point soon, please stay with me.

Anyway, I'm having a couple of huge concerns about Blender...the first is that the Redshift plugin is taking forever and even though I've seen development updates It's one of those things I'll believe when I see it released. The other thing is there's no pass system...at least anything close to what Softimage has...and when you try to discuss it among people who use Blender they look at you like they've never heard of such a thing. To them, passes are AOVs. The developers don't seem interested in integrating any kind of pass system with overrides and I wonder if it's a concept they're even aware of. I can't work without a pass system.

the last thing...and this the biggest issue I've been having. The development of Blender is TOO transparent. It always feel like a work in progress. With most software you get a working version and use it for a couple years while the developers make updates/imrpovements in the background. with Blender it's a very "hey, here's what we're working on" vibe and it seems like the feature I need is always in the experimental alpha version months away from becoming a real, stable version.

So my question is, do I really have to stop using Softimage? Like I said, I can really get stuff done with it. I'm doing work with as studio who calls on me because their Maya and Cinema4d artists are limited. Not because of the software, of course. But what I'm saying is that using new, updated software doesn't mean you'll necessarily know how to get the most out of it. My 5 years dead Softimage can get almost anything done in some way or another.

I have my own hardware license dongle I made from a wifi adapter, so as long as that doesn't shit the bed I'll be able to use Softimage for as long as it will install in Windows. How many years could I use it conceivably? I'll always be using Blender for little stuff and maybe by the time I absolutely can't use Softimage anymore I'll be ready for a project in Blender, which hopefully by that time it will feel more like a finished software. Any thoughts? Who plans on using Softimage until the wheels fall off?

nicole

Re: The extended life of Softimage..a question

Post by nicole » 16 Apr 2020, 02:34

hi.
of course i am still a +-a debutant in softimage even if i do a whole feature on my own at the moment.
later i shall look for collaborator if i find some financing.
i am interrested you tell here what benefit is blender, since you say you use it for small projects?
one benefit is that blender is pbr and u can youse quixel mixer
to make photoreal treatments
but that's not really my way and i have discovered that during the time i use quixel mixer with softimage, because xsi is not pbr,
i have had to rework the texture files on corel painter and it's really hallucinating an experience to rework pbr into non pbr, as well it gives me new ideas using painter for 2d
yet i am curious learning how do more analogue ways of hallucinating me with pbr and blender, as it is to me uncharted territtory, because this trend of doing photoreal stuff
is just people using the software to "test" it on facebook that's the feeling you have reading facebook blender groups. artistic endeavours and inventions of softwares comes ahead:
what about a software that artist could invent while working on their project, so what about tthat being more transparent? or more hidden?,
if you have an idea you don't want to share it until its a movie in most cases i agree with you
but there is as well sirdavid our xsi theme hero, who is doing so much for helping blender to become a multiversatile tool that's an example . bravo sirdavid,
we need to know how to become able to reinvent the cinema industry during the 19covid19 crisis as well if possible. the actors , all the players of the industry need to have easy softwares to perform during the next eternal 5 years to come under lockdown.
so again, what advantages above softimage do you currently find in blender given what you said in yur post? thanks.
n.

talent103

Post by talent103 » 17 Apr 2020, 00:12

I have been using maya for last few years but recently got a super powered computer and wanted to make I could still install my network license of Softimage. I have become a bit rusty with it but after a few weeks i see how far and ahead XSi is. Only concern is not being able to use Arnold except for a water mark render. The community is doing a good job keeping up the addons for arnold though. I wish it had the presets like maya does. I have started to learn Houdini during this down time. I hope to do a Soft and houdinni test soon. Love ice and Mootzoid plugins but Houdini seems to have way better simulation looks. Maya is falling behind 3Ds max in terms of development. people on beta are complaining big time. Autodesk is clueless and I wonder about this industry as well. But to answer your question. I will use XSI till the wheels come off. It doesn't look to be happening any time soon though. I will certainly be using it on some up coming personal projects and I am very excited. The future is bright. :)

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 15 May 2020, 12:45

honestly i dont think there is any need to replace softimage at all.

a practical example is the fact that the 3d market and 3d world in general has so many application where nobody uses 1 single software anymore, so even if you move to cinema 4d, you would still have to use Zbrush, Unreal, UvLayout, quixel, and the list goes on and on.
So as far as i see it, do in softimage what you can do in softimage (an insane amount of things) then use other applications. Unless you really need another whole 3d package (which im unsure why you would) just keep using softimage.

Unless your clients requires you to use a specific software because they want an inhouse project file that can be edited by them, then keep using softimage.
Everytime i try to look at other softwares there are always roadblocks, and problems.

Maybe im too old and lost some excitement into learning learning learning multiple softwares, but unless im forced, i dont really want to stop using Softimage, its a tool. Why would i model things in 3ds max or houdini when it takes 10 times less in softimage?
Use what you need, but be smart to use softimage (since you already know it) for whatever needs you have.

I always bring the example of Vitaly Bulgarov, he just uses Softimage / octane / zbrush. And he works at the highest level of 3d field, producing stunning work.
that also depends what is your job, if you need particle simulation maybe you better off learning houdini.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 29 May 2020, 13:49

I agree, if still possible, XSI remains just like it was
( just as versatile / reliable / flexible as it was, relative to other solutions )

For me blender also came a long way, while still rough along the edges, it can also be good for alot of things.

Not nearly as procedural as XSI, or as granular viewing of relationships when rigging as Maya.

XSI Transforms (and stuff) is what I miss most in blender, among other things, I still do stuff in XSI because it's really good :)

Otherwise In my opinion, Blender is the first one that is on par with (if not exceed) XSI passes,
and node editing also descent and can sometimes be better like for RT shading /rendering.