Cycles for Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Sycles 2.1.3Author: Shekn @si-community
V 2.1.3 released August 2023 —

This is a full integration of the Blender Cycles renderer into XSI. This update is a complete rewrite for the latest Cycles version from 2023 and has support for the following Softimage features (quoted from the download page):

Polygon meshes and hair geometry Texture coordinates Vertex colors Shaderball preview. For materials, shader nodes and texture nodes Basic limited support of the following buil-in Softimage shader nodes: Phong, Lambert, Hair Shading, Image, converters between vector, color and scalar Ambience global environment light Limited support of built-in Softimage light sources Model instances ICE strands geometry ICE poitcloud instances ICE geometry attributes (vector, color and scalar) with context per-point and per-object Volume rendering. In particular supports emFluid, Explosia FX and openVDB for Softimage volumes Special VDB Primitive for rendering vdbs without ICE Output multilayered exr file with all rendered passe Rendermaps

The following features from Cycles itself are supported: CPU and GPU rendering. In particular multidevices are supported. This allows to use cpu and gpu simultaneously. Note: This distribution does not contains libraries for gpu rendering. You can download it from here. Unpack the archive and place lib folder to the /Sycles_2_1_2/Application/Plugins/ folder near the file config.ini All Cycles shader nodes OSL shaders OpenColorIO profiles (Blender profile included) All Cycles output passes (Combined, Depth, Normal and so on) Color and value shader AOVs Lightgroups Cycles camera properties, in particular all panorama modes Cycles light sources Denoising by using Open Image Denoise and OptiX denoiser

For more information, full documentation and a list of the available Cycles nodes see the download page linked below. There is no local backup because the addon is still frequently updated - the plugin can be downloaded on Shekn's github releases. The source code is available on github there well.

News concerning 3D DCC business
yashugan

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by yashugan » 30 Apr 2020, 09:42

Hi, apologize my strange question, but i'm really not able to render the MYST in cycles. There is explanation of parameters? because i really was not able after hours to render it. Apologize me, probably i'm doing something wrong.... Thank you!

opoppopopp

Post by opoppopopp » 30 Apr 2020, 16:10

yashugan wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 09:42 Hi, apologize my strange question, but i'm really not able to render the MYST in cycles. There is explanation of parameters? because i really was not able after hours to render it. Apologize me, probably i'm doing something wrong.... Thank you!
you mean a box with volume shader?

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 30 Apr 2020, 20:37

is this way that the fog is drawed in cycles??? ..ops....

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 01 May 2020, 14:55

I think no. You can simulate the fog by adding cycScatterVolume node to the background light source. But in this case this background light will not emit any light to objects. Also Cycles supports only one background light, so there is no possibility to add one light with fog and one light with illumination.

But you can add the fog on the postprocessing, by rendering depth or mist pass.

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 01 May 2020, 15:52

In the RENDER opstions there are 3 parameters under the group "MIST".
Start, Depth and Falloff. (very explicit on what they do) But they never work. I have to prepare something in the scene to see these parameters work? thank and apologize my non expert situation.

opoppopopp

Post by opoppopopp » 01 May 2020, 20:09

yashugan wrote: 01 May 2020, 15:52 In the RENDER opstions there are 3 parameters under the group "MIST".
Start, Depth and Falloff. (very explicit on what they do) But they never work. I have to prepare something in the scene to see these parameters work? thank and apologize my non expert situation.
That Mist under render options, according to the Cycle documents, you should switch to that pass to see the effect. check follow pictures.(It different with depth)

Or for simple fog effects, I use a box with scatter volume shader, seems better control in this way.

MIST
Sycles_ist.png
scatter volume shader
Sycles_fog.png

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 06 May 2020, 01:27

Hi @Shekn ! I never had the opportunity to fully thank you for such incredible work you're doing with SYcles!
I've been a 5 year Blender user now, and I absolutely love how I can take my CYCLES knowledge and apply it here with SOFTIMAGE. A dream come true.
I got 2 questions:
1) Is there a way to work with the complete viewport "rendering" using a render region only? I have a TitanX card, I activated on preferences, and I sure notice the boost!
2) Is shader to AOVs implemented in your latest 1.9 release?

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 06 May 2020, 09:53

thank you Shekn, this will be very usefull!

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 06 May 2020, 12:02

sirdavid32

1. You can use quick preview render which cover the full viewport, but this mode is not the same as render preview in Blender. Each update of the scene will re-export all scene to the render engine, and with large scene it takes some time. Caching system helps a little, but not too much. Fast gpu can decrease the render time of one frame, but the time of the scene prepare stay the same. For render with low samples this prepare takes the most time of the whole render time.

2. Shader AOVs are implemented in the latest version 1.9.

Bennyhase

Post by Bennyhase » 06 May 2020, 12:33

Question about the "SToon" for Cycles for Softimage: anybody used it ? On my side rendering with Stoon will not work. I´m following exactly the documentation. Cycle itself will work, but SToon don´t. Have set OSL-Shading, made all propertys, doing exactly same thing couple of times, but no luck.

opoppopopp

Post by opoppopopp » 06 May 2020, 15:20

Shekn wrote: 06 May 2020, 12:02 sirdavid32

1. You can use quick preview render which cover the full viewport, but this mode is not the same as render preview in Blender. Each update of the scene will re-export all scene to the render engine, and with large scene it takes some time. Caching system helps a little, but not too much. Fast gpu can decrease the render time of one frame, but the time of the scene prepare stay the same. For render with low samples this prepare takes the most time of the whole render time.
Yes I notice this exactly as you described... sometimes even with shader parameter adjust, Sycle will re-export all scene. which makes the progressive update not that useful.
You have to implement another layer, complete separated with Cycle API, if really want a true "cache all scene object in memory" ?

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 06 May 2020, 18:58

Bennyhase. You are right, SToon shaders does not work with the current version of the Sycles. This is very strange and I will try to understand, why it happens.

opoppopopp. May be sometimes I will rewrite connection between Softimage and Cycles render engine to make it more smart. SitoA is a good reference for it. But I don't know when I will find the time and, more important, the courage for this process.

Bennyhase

Post by Bennyhase » 07 May 2020, 17:22

Hello Shekn, thanks for Reply. One Question: My system works only a few couple of renderings with Sycles inside Softimage XSI on my GPU´s. I can render about a dozen renderings (q-rendering or preview) with GPU and then only black renderings. After restarting Softimage i can render with GPU, after a while black renderings again. The same if i´m using one card or all 4 cards i have. No other application is open. I have the newest driver installed. Win10... 1x RTX 2080Ti with 12 GBRam, 2x 1080Ti, 1x 1070Ti. No fancy scene, only the dinosaur to render...

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 07 May 2020, 18:50

Hmm, also very strange. May be you can record small video with this behaviour. For better understanding, what's happens. And what you say occurs also on the CPU, or only when you use GPU? And what happens, when you use both CPU and GPU?

Bennyhase

Post by Bennyhase » 07 May 2020, 19:02

For quick reply: rendering for CPU only all is fine (but this is indeed very low and not my goal). It happens in hybrid mode (CPU and GPU) and GPU only mode. I´m trying to make a small video in a few hours.

opoppopopp

Post by opoppopopp » 08 May 2020, 14:48

Bennyhase wrote: 07 May 2020, 17:22 Hello Shekn, thanks for Reply. One Question: My system works only a few couple of renderings with Sycles inside Softimage XSI on my GPU´s. I can render about a dozen renderings (q-rendering or preview) with GPU and then only black renderings. After restarting Softimage i can render with GPU, after a while black renderings again. The same if i´m using one card or all 4 cards i have. No other application is open. I have the newest driver installed. Win10... 1x RTX 2080Ti with 12 GBRam, 2x 1080Ti, 1x 1070Ti. No fancy scene, only the dinosaur to render...
I bet it is because the API itself, not Sycle, hardware, driver version, opencl etc.
my case, ryzen cpu + 1660 super hybrid works