Post XSI thoughts

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
talent103

Re: Post XSI thoughts

Post by talent103 » 02 Mar 2020, 03:47

Agreed FXDude I recently was able to install my 2015 suite networkk license on my new super powerful boxx computer. I have been going through the resources and putting in all the usefull addons. Though cant find momentum. it has given me a new excitement for softimage. Even though rendering wont be the same as I have been accustomed with Arnold. I am going to give cycles a try. I can always use mental ray though,

jamination

Post by jamination » 24 Mar 2020, 23:18

I am interested in these thoughts about Blender3d, due to a certain pandemic i have more time on my hands to learn something new. I have wanted to migrate away from Softimage for some time, and hopefully i may get the chance. I am not sure if Blender is for me, I will say one thing that keeps me in Softimage is my comfort level with ICE and character animation, and the ability to handle large scenes. Whatever i use next would hopefully add more features and not make the things i mentioned that much worse. I liked the sculpting tools in Blender, however at first glance that the curve tools seem way worse than the already lacking Softimage curved tools. Also, Redshift is so nice to have in my tool set as well.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions

opoppopopp

Post by opoppopopp » 26 Mar 2020, 14:37

jamination wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 23:18 I am interested in these thoughts about Blender3d, due to a certain pandemic i have more time on my hands to learn something new. I have wanted to migrate away from Softimage for some time, and hopefully i may get the chance. I am not sure if Blender is for me, I will say one thing that keeps me in Softimage is my comfort level with ICE and character animation, and the ability to handle large scenes. Whatever i use next would hopefully add more features and not make the things i mentioned that much worse. I liked the sculpting tools in Blender, however at first glance that the curve tools seem way worse than the already lacking Softimage curved tools. Also, Redshift is so nice to have in my tool set as well.
For a feature, you always find a way to implement it especially you used to SI, but for a limit, you can not, like destruction workflow, poor reference system, can not undo for some operation, etc.

I use blender for some specific task since it doesn't have a undo function, those are my main feeling about it.

btw. I highly doubt will blender become this hot, if it not have that eye candy (only) eevee...

I LIKE BLENDER and all other community driven software. btw. again.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 05 Apr 2020, 13:45

With Indie coming out, I might look into Max again with TyFlow (multithreaded PFlow). And I find Blender cool, but I don't like it's workflow yet. WIsh I could still use Softimage ... but for now I'm stuck in Modo which is also stuck in time! :D

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 08 Apr 2020, 22:55

Said to be a good tuto

this was done in Blender

talent103

Post by talent103 » 17 Apr 2020, 00:47

Thanks for the videos!