Blender 2.81 - 2.83 alpha

News concerning 3D DCC business
Bullit

Blender 2.81 - 2.83 alpha

Post by Bullit » 21 Nov 2019, 02:05

https://www.blender.org/download/releases/2-81/

2.81 is the true 2.8 release with many convenience improvements.

Draise

Re: Blender 2.81 soon

Post by Draise » 21 Nov 2019, 15:08

Nice. On a side note, Bforartists will also release with 2.81 merged in on the Friday 22nd.

This Blender version has intel denoising, new sculpt brushes, better outliner (standard walking, shift/ctrl workflow from other software, and better use! Finally....), updates to Eevee and Cycles, voxel remesher and quadriflow remeshing and other under the hood improvements (RTX rendering optimizations anyone?), and more tweaks and improvements here and there - and lots of bug squashing. I thiiink this version also fixed up the NLA to work more like Animation Layers.

Bforartists has added 1000+ icons to the UI and remade all iconology to be coloured and have silhouette, has added more than a few dozen hotkey exclusive operators back into the UI, has removed dozens of double entries, has started working on unifying the toolshelf with all the operators, made common header menus consistent, made the workspaces minimal and consistent, added a customizable quick access toolbar, and arranged many redundant and disorganized UI concepts to be somewhat easier to discover logically, all this by adding 900+ UI tasks this year on top of Blender 2.8. So far it's all 100% compatible with Blender, and the industry standard keymap is still there, or Blenders for tutorials.

Bforartists 2 - Alpha 0.8.0 (soon)
https://www.bforartists.de/content/download
bforartists_2019-11-21_09-35-19.png
I've done about half a dozen projects in the dev builds of BFA this year and am very happy. I love Eevee so much for the quick turnarround WYSIWYG - and nodal proceduralism has now 3 different addons that can help there with function nodes coming up. Animation Nodes, Sverchok, Socar and soon upcoming release of Function Nodes in official Blender.

As a side thought.. the ability to move origins/centers independantly and move parents independantly from children was a much needed feature from Softimage I missed. Now it exists in Blender.

Bullit

Re: Blender 2.81

Post by Bullit » 21 Nov 2019, 21:36

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 21 Nov 2019, 21:37

Grubber

Post by Grubber » 22 Nov 2019, 12:28

Does Blender have anything similar to Tweak Component Tool?

Draise

Post by Draise » 22 Nov 2019, 13:38

Grubber wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 12:28 Does Blender have anything similar to Tweak Component Tool?
Without pre-highlight, but yes. In sculpt mode there is one with pre-highlight. You'd just need to activate the 3 component modes at once and use the transform tweak tool

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 23 Nov 2019, 01:04

AMD ProRender released for 2.81

https://community.amd.com/community/rad ... lender-281

Full Spectrum Rendering

Radeon ProRender enables physically-based GPU rendering through OpenCL. Now with our Full Spectrum Rendering modes, it also brings Vulkan-based ray tracing to Windows and Linux users. This allows the user to set the quality level to a wide spectrum from rasterized to fully path-traced (in OpenCL) render quality, enabling everything from fast viewport previews to accurate final renders.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 24 Nov 2019, 18:14

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 25 Nov 2019, 13:29

Few questions :
- Wondering if Blender can support millions polys ?
- How about stability ?
- Easy to use since 2.8x - workflow ?

All the best
Phil
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 25 Nov 2019, 17:27

It can, but it from others opinion to be hurt if you have thousands of objects.

Not enough pushing by me to give an opinion

The 2.81 brings functionality to outliner so it is a major improvement, you can also now select several objects at once, but it is better if you see these movies they give you a good feedback of how things stand.
For modelling i would say Blender is the more complete and the best around including real time feedback with Eeeve.

Draise

Post by Draise » 26 Nov 2019, 16:50

Ah damn.. I wrote a large response and lost it.. so here it is again...

Stability: It's about.. as stable as my experience with Softimage 2015. I have never lost a lot of work due to a crash. I'd say the Autosave of Blender is great. Every 2 minutes your file is backed up to a destination of choice, and it is barely unnoticeable when it does. Even if it does crash, you're only loosing like 2 minutes. The software loads fast, so.. loading up from a crash and recovery is... rock solid and very fast. I love this feature. It has saved me many times - with that said.. my crashes are only render and some minor sculpting and VSE issues. VRAM is a big culprate.

Performance with Poly's: There is documented showcased of 9 million polies sculpting on a Surface Tablet. On the workbench with some viewport optimization. There is another documented case of rendering 40 million polies with a forrest on CPY Cycles. I'd say the Workbench can handle a lot now, though when I was getting to the hundreds of thousands of instances, it would lag a lot. As always, they are trying to up the performance now.

Usability: Blender still has redundant tools, misnamed double tools, misnamed tooltips, inconsistent UI perks, hidden floating menus, hidden hotkey exclusive operators and more. I personally use Bforartists which has merged in 2.81 and 2.82 already, with an installer for Windows - and have been very happy. They fix these kinds of things. But with that said, Blender has many good usabiliity things like the outliner has now .. expected behaviour, the node editors also, etc. The apply to all selected still is missing some love (not everything works and you have to hold down ALT to do it) - but now you can multiedit (AND MULTIPOSE!). Animation layers still isn't there, but technically the NLA can layer. I'd say.. it's better. Just needs.. polish.. Bforartists attempts to polish.. and right now I prefer that fork without a doubt, even with the updates to 2.81. As some professionals have said publically, it's more like a skin update than in depth UI paradigm shifts in funciontality. But that said, the keymaps are minimized and has an industry standard version that is akin to Maya's/Max - so back to the old days: configure it yourself to how you like.

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 26 Nov 2019, 17:31

Slowly movin over to Blender bit by bit. It is by far not that intuitive as XSI was/is, but it´s getting better and better. I recommend watching some tuts and start to play with Blender. Stability seems prett good, performance also a breeze compared to XSI´s viewport. eevee is awseome and a lot of fun. Undo is still kind of slow...Nodes are coming to the particle system...rendering is quite capabal. Things like passes in XSI does not exsist, the "collection" thingy is not really thought to the end. So, you will have to wor around things coming from XSI. But at least, the devs care about their baby ;)

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 26 Nov 2019, 17:37

i like it more and more, still im using softimage because i cant really find anything that comes close to the intuitivity this software has.
that said Blender will be a nice companion, i have no issue modeling in softimage, so that will be always done there :)

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 26 Nov 2019, 17:40

...well, i guess it´s matter of getting used to it in a way..at least, what options to we have? Maya? No way ;)

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 26 Nov 2019, 22:53

There are still many things that are horrible in Blender.

To delete something in outliner the mouse should be out of it.
It is a super bureaucratic mind, you can't move an object modelling by coordinates they only appear in layout, then the layout has a different view of modeling.

edge dimensions only appear in edit mode

The menu that breaks the integrity of viewport tool/view/create etc thing at right is another dumb idea.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 27 Nov 2019, 20:56