FX Tree in Game Production

Discussions about FX-Tree and Compositing generally
homam

FX Tree in Game Production

Post by homam » 11 Nov 2019, 12:42

I wrote a short blog while ago on how we used the FX Tree in creating UI/HUD for our console game 'Hyper Void'. The game was a PSVR title so its UI has to be integrated in the 3D environment to keep the VR experience comfortable. We found that the FX tree was a good tool for this task *-:) .
I don’t think it is a popular tool among game devs. So hopefully this will inspire some people to try it out despite its stability issues.

http://blog.inframez.com/post/hud-design-workflow

Happy reading :)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: FX Tree in Game Production

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Nov 2019, 12:45

Interesting! Thanks... ;)
Could you tell us more?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

homam

Re: FX Tree in Game Production

Post by homam » 13 Nov 2019, 19:37

I remember for designing the game's HUD we used a lot the vector paint node to draw most of the 2D elements on the 3D HUD object. The main feature we missed in the FX Tree was a text node. We considered implementing this node ourselves but then we decided to skip it since we don't have a lot of text. So we ended writing the text in a photo editing package and importing it as a raster image.
Overall it was an interesting workflow that we enjoyed and we thought it will be good to share it to inspire others even if using different packages that has a compositing module.

Best!