Closing the "ICE Tutorials" section? [resolved]

Here you can find ICE tutorials and learning material
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Closing the "ICE Tutorials" section? [resolved]

Post by Hirazi Blue » 20 Jun 2010, 20:59

As this section never really took off the way it was obviously originally intended and all the experienced users of ICE always stress how easy ICE is, but hardly anybody seems to find the time to create any tutorials to actualy show "the others" how easy it actually is, I would vote for closing down this section once and for all (merging it with the ICE section-proper). On the odd chance there ever will be any more ICE Tutorials they could find their way to the ICE section-proper. But this section has IMHO become somewhat of a sad joke...
Please note: this is my personal opinion and so it's very much open to discussion...
The question "what do you think?" springs to mind.

(and in it end, as always, owei decides... ;) )
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

julius

Re: Closing the "ICE Tutorials" section?

Post by julius » 21 Jun 2010, 12:25

In my opinion, the forum have to keep this section. I'm sure some people will make some tuts on day or an other.

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 21 Jun 2010, 17:06

yeah +1 for the section staying , have intended to do some ICE tutorials , just finding the spare time is the hardest part...
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 21 Jun 2010, 20:18

Hi!

I don´t see any reason for closing this section. It was never intended to contain "community brewed" tuts only, though it would have been nice :-?? : Some guys promised a lot and didn´t kept it :^o But, links can of course also posted here. Might be good to get some more links in here...

cheers,
oli

antsjoe

Post by antsjoe » 21 Jun 2010, 20:23

I do understand your frustration.

Is it possible to make a "sticky" file(or folder) at top of Ice Section to have tutorials placed into it when others get the opportunity to upload (new) tutorials?

A suggestion from CG Society section of CG Talk forums for applications that I frequent to keep up with several apps along with selected topics.

Thanks,

aj

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 21 Jun 2010, 20:28

Hirazi Blue wrote:and in it end, as always, owei decides... ;)
We can discuss this some more, but owei has spoken ( :D ),
so the ICE Tutorials subforum is here to stay...
But seriously: have you seen any good ICE related tutorials lately? =))

Mathaeus

Re: Closing the "ICE Tutorials" section? [resolved]

Post by Mathaeus » 21 Jun 2010, 20:57

Well there is a chance I'll add a few during a lazy summer time... god or bad ones, it's not to me to say :)

I definitively don't think it's a 'sad joke', if there is more than, let's say, two.

Just personally, I have to admit I've read only a few of ICE tuts in pdf/html form, no one of video tuts completely, I have no patience for video tuts.... but I think I have all ICE compounds posted on internet, including a 'HB Evenly', of course :)

That is, many times, just ICE compound is a tutorial itself... I'm also an addict of pages like this one....

Cheers

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 21 Jun 2010, 21:12

Haha, that accounts for the other download of that compound... =))
But seriously, I agree studying ICE Compounds makes a lot of sense and even as a beginner I can learn a lot from it. I'd call that "reverse engineering", for which ICE is, I must admit, excellently suited. But a tutorial obviously starts out at the other end of the problem and takes you along in a more linear fashion, which is needed to learn to begin reading more complex trees...
Maybe we should start an ICE Tree "guessing contest". Someone posts a screenshot from one of his/her ICE Trees and the other users would have to guess what it intends to achieve...
;)

(P.S. I am aware there were more downloads than merely two, but this sounds funnier...)

The Tree in this thread would be a good place to start :D

dwigfor

Post by dwigfor » 21 Jun 2010, 23:22

I've seen a couple of really good tutorials on vimeo recently, by Bradley Gabe. When I get some time, I'll try to find some links.