AD: Subscription Transition for New Software Licenses

News concerning 3D DCC business
Bellsey

Re: AD: Subscription Transition for New Software Licenses

Post by Bellsey » 04 Feb 2015, 20:00

1.6 Does this affect existing software purchased under a perpetual license?

No, if a customer already has a perpetual license or purchases a new perpetual license at any time before February 1,
2016, that license doesn't go away. They still retain the perpetual license to that software and can continue to use it in
accordance with their perpetual license agreement. If the software product is covered by Maintenance Subscription,
they will also continue to receive their Maintenance Subscription benefits.

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 04 Feb 2015, 20:08

Bellsey wrote:1.6 Does this affect existing software purchased under a perpetual license?

No, if a customer already has a perpetual license or purchases a new perpetual license at any time before February 1,
2016, that license doesn't go away. They still retain the perpetual license to that software and can continue to use it in
accordance with their perpetual license agreement. If the software product is covered by Maintenance Subscription,
they will also continue to receive their Maintenance Subscription benefits.
Thank you Bellsey for clarifying that, but I think the uncertainty mainly came from the huge debacle early on when Softimage was announced as EOL. The migration documentation and clarification in accordance to "migration" paths could have been done a lot better. I think myself, and others, at least one point thought that if I took the migration that I would loose Softimage use if I ended Subs, hence, why I had to re-clarify that with my conversation with Jill in my link on my previous post.
Last edited by Rez007 on 04 Feb 2015, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 04 Feb 2015, 20:38

I appreciate that initially things changed regarding Softimage transition, etc, but that was really Autodesk simply responding to feedback from people about usage after the official support stopped for Softimage.

Essentially though, a perpetual license is a perpetual license and thus continues to use in accordance with the perpetual license agreement.

luceric

Post by luceric » 05 Feb 2015, 00:07

MauricioPC wrote:For those of use who still don't own, we are *********. :)
Actually..
Q4. Will perpetual licenses for Autodesk Design & Creation Suites still be available for purchase after February 1, 2016?

New perpetual licenses for Autodesk Design & Creation Suites and other suite offerings will continue to be offered beyond February 1, 2016. Any transition to a subscription-only based offering for Suites after that time will be communicated well in advance.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 05 Feb 2015, 01:43

Thanks Luceric, didnt see that. Its better than nothing.

talent103

Post by talent103 » 06 Feb 2015, 00:52

I think he was talking about not having an ultimate or creation sub before they go away and then having to go on rental at a higher price if you want to use max/ maya

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 11 Feb 2015, 19:58

More change are comming .....
Introducing an improved, easy-to-use portal for Subscribers

On March 13, 2015, we will be retiring Subscription Center and directing you to the newly enhanced Autodesk Account, a personalized and easy-to-use portal where you can track and manage all of your Autodesk products, services, and benefits in one place.
I watched the presentation on Autodesk Podcast. Not a bad improvement.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 13 Feb 2015, 15:09

A nice read about it.

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/autodes ... -industry/

It seems some studios might do something if the problems they have with Adobe repeat itself in Autodesk cloud rental.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 13 Feb 2015, 17:41

Interesting article, albeit a bit too one-sided for my liking.
Some pitfalls are certainly mentioned,
but the general "feel" of this text would seem to be
the desire to "sell" the idea, not actually review it.
But as always: very much IMHO, obviously.
:-??
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 14 Feb 2015, 02:23

Fxguide is in the bed.

Never forgot that FXguide never linked to Softimage. The links that they have at right in the page to the software that is discussed in articles had always a link missing: Softimage.

Even if Softimage was the main application in some story Fxguide covered. .

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 14 Feb 2015, 20:23

You're reading too much into it :ymalien:
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 14 Feb 2015, 21:31

McNistor wrote:You're reading too much into it :ymalien:
Maybe, maybe not. The article does read as if it were an infomercial, not a piece of journalism.
The following statement from the article had me puzzled somewhat:
The move to subscription to pay for software is something that a vast majority of facilities and even users accept.
It's the last part of that statement ("and even users accept") that makes me wonder what data they use, and if they and their readers understand the subtle difference between (reluctantly) "accept" and "embrace". Many users will see the move as being inevitable, and they're probably right, and so they'll follow along, but not necessarily because they like the idea. And in a few years hardly anyone will remember those wretched perpetual licenses anyway. Around that time Autodesk will probably reintroduce them just to confuse everyone...
:D

luceric

Post by luceric » 14 Feb 2015, 23:29

That specific fxguide article is quite critical imho, it says the new system needs to change and it even ends with a thinly veiled threat if things don't, aka an ultimatum. The guys at fxguide know that rental vs perpetual is being discussed everywhere already, that's not what they wanted to talk about.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 14 Feb 2015, 23:37

If something is perceived as being (not) very critical does indeed depend on one's point of view. ;)

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 15 Feb 2015, 01:12

Hirazi Blue wrote:
McNistor wrote:You're reading too much into it :ymalien:
Maybe, maybe not. The article does read as if it were an infomercial, not a piece of journalism.
The following statement from the article had me puzzled somewhat:
The move to subscription to pay for software is something that a vast majority of facilities and even users accept.
It's the last part of that statement ("and even users accept") that makes me wonder what data they use, and if they and their readers understand the subtle difference between (reluctantly) "accept" and "embrace". Many users will see the move as being inevitable, and they're probably right, and so they'll follow along, but not necessarily because they like the idea. And in a few years hardly anyone will remember those wretched perpetual licenses anyway. Around that time Autodesk will probably reintroduce them just to confuse everyone...
:D
Yes it reads as a piece supporting the move to rent only model.

Not even in the text appears the word "mixed" choices.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 15 Feb 2015, 04:01

I'd have to agree with LucEric,

The positive aspects of rental (non-disputed for some cases) are mostly contained in the "According to" quotes.

And he also mentionned price increases among other things, and asked the simple but obvious and difficult question "why only rental?"

... answering something that alluded to... saving on logistics ... because most of everyone wants rental... :-?