Used Softimage License

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Lutze

Used Softimage License

Post by Lutze » 09 Aug 2014, 12:17

Hi there,

as it is impossible to buy a new softimage license from Autodesk my question is if it would be possible to buy a "used" one from one who will switch to another software. As far as I know this should be possible in Germany but I am not 100% sure about it. If somebody could share his or her knowledge. Last time I did this was back in 2008/2009 when I bought a used XSI 7.

MauricioPC

Re: Used Softimage License

Post by MauricioPC » 09 Aug 2014, 14:48

From what I understand, Autodesk is the only company that forbids this. Foundry lets you (at least for Modo), Maxon lets you (C4D users do it all the time).

I think it's only fair. Lots of studio or freelancers might want to sell some license (if they have more than 1) and us who don't have would be able to buy it.

Lutze

Post by Lutze » 09 Aug 2014, 15:19

This is exactly what I thought, but as far as I know law in Germany (and most of the EU) is allowing to sell/buy used licenses, even if autodesk in this case will not allow it. Anybody with some first hand experience?

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 09 Aug 2014, 15:47

In Europe Autodesk can't deny a 2nd hand selling of a software license. Call them, if they stonewall it is time to throw the rule book to them.

Lutze

Post by Lutze » 09 Aug 2014, 16:00

Thanks Bullit,

good to hear that I was right. Somewhere in September I will go fishing for a License and hope someone will sell his.

I just switched the employer and they want me to be happy (and fast in my work). Having Softimage again at my hands will guaranty both.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 09 Aug 2014, 16:50

That's awesome news. I have a plan to move to Europe. If that happens, I could use XSI. How great is that?

Thanks for the info. Time to start the "buy XSI" saving jar.

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 09 Aug 2014, 17:16

I would air on the side of caution about this and not assume anything
To the best of my knowledge, the EULA still forbids the the buying/selling of secondhand licenses.

And yes, I do know about the EU court ruling, but I'm not sure it's as clear cut as people might think. I could be wrong though, so will look into it though for clarification.

Lutze

Post by Lutze » 09 Aug 2014, 18:37

This would be nice Bellsey if you could look into it.

Strictly from the law and EU court perspective it is pretty clear since 2012, that when a company is selling software, they from this point on loose their right to dictate further usage or deny reselling etc. All relevant parts of the EULA are invalid in Europe.

Nonetheless a company like autodesk could try to fight this out just to dicourage people. This was the reason for my first question. I just want to work and do my job, not fight with a big company over a license. So will Autodeskt try to prevent me from buying a used license or not, this is what I need to know. It could be that Autodesk is not willing to openly declare themselves in a forum about this, so I will contact my local reseller to get some answers.

I would love to continue the next few years with softimage.

luis7654

Post by luis7654 » 09 Aug 2014, 19:49

I don't really understand why autodesk stopped selling softimage... at least at this point, since they don't have anything similar to ICE just yet, if ever.

And what about the people(students) who where planning on buying softimage in the future?

Moderator edit: removed reference to illegal action - HB

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 09 Aug 2014, 21:07

luis7654 wrote:I don't really understand why autodesk stopped selling softimage... at least at this point, since they don't have anything similar to ICE just yet, if ever.

And what about the people(students) who where planning on buying softimage in the future?

I was a student thinking of buying in the future, or that was my goal.

Now, some people said that you can still buy Softimage bundled with 3ds Max, is it true? If that lasts, maybe until the end of last year, I'll be able to purchase my version and keep using.

benoit81

Post by benoit81 » 09 Aug 2014, 22:32

my question is if it would be possible to buy a "used" one from one who will switch to another software
In a judgment, Oracle was forced to allow this...
http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2012-07/cp120094en.pdf

But recent move to cloud license, etc. is a way to reduce second hand software market...

Anyway, I'm waiting for "real big new features" that enhance workflow before moving to another software. My agency still use Photoshop CS6, Softimage 2014, AE CS5. And I assume that we will not move to any Cloud license : we receive tons of Adobe email about CC, but in fact we are just waiting for a competitor of Adobe & Autodesk (Unity has a nice politic : both license are offered). I hope that a lot of studios would boycott Cloud/annual fees so that we will have the choice. And if someone has the energy, time and the courage to sue editors for abusive license terms it could help every honest users that simply want to buy and use software. And not waste their time with complex software vendor license/protection/system/constrain politic.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 10 Aug 2014, 14:52

Is it Softimage still being sold through Autodesk Ultimate Entertainment Suite? I was looking at the price for 3ds Max and clicked on the compare feature. It than compared the 3ds Max Standard Version with the Ultimate Version, that should feature Maya plus only. It's just that the vantage point all seems too much Softimage-like.

http://www.autodesk.com/store/entertain ... te/compare

Procedural geometry creation - Maya? (no)
Lifelike facial animation - I guess they mean FaceRobot? (no)
Procedural effects without scripting - MAYA? (NO)
Flexibility to use both Maya and 3ds Max - crap (yes)

-- EDIT --

Okay, from this old chart, it appears that so. But the price is different. Maybe they need to patch things correctly.

In any case, the vantage points are still all Softimage, funnily enough.

http://www.autodesk.com/store/suites-co ... _suites___
Attachments
procedural.png

Lutze

Post by Lutze » 10 Aug 2014, 17:11

Always stay on the bright side of life

Moderator edit: Thanks for your edit ;) - HB
Last edited by Lutze on 10 Aug 2014, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 10 Aug 2014, 17:20

- EDIT -

I just know I'm looking more and more to Houdini. Just hope that v14 has some modeling improvements so we don't need another software to do the modeling. Hell ... maybe the new ZB can help, since it'll be able to make low-poly modeling, I just don't know in what capacity.

Moderator edit: Thanks for your edit ;) - HB
Last edited by MauricioPC on 10 Aug 2014, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 10 Aug 2014, 21:26

Since we are talking about used licenses, what would be the ideal license to buy? Softimage 2013/2014/2015?

What's the version that's been more used in production, more stable, etc?

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 12 Aug 2014, 00:03

More used probably 2012 or 2013. The best is 2015 since doesn't seem to have big bugs and have several improvemets.