sofa cushions & pillows, any tips for realistic wrinkles?

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
craft

Re: sofa cushions & pillows, any tips for realistic wrinkles?

Post by craft » 06 Jan 2010, 12:19

wow, i stumbled upon this. check it out:
http://drpetter.se/project_sculpt.html
this one's free and totally fresh. in its current state it'd allow you to get what you want in a whole different approach and it's free: have your small detail wrinkles really moddeled into your basemesh without going into very high polycounts... plus you can still use the Ultimapper.

Don't tke me wrong, i'm not persuading you not to buy ZB :)) just thought i'd share this tool. Could happen it'd help you until you get ZB.
seems the 27 years old author started working on it just one month; impressive

wannabeArtist

Post by wannabeArtist » 06 Jan 2010, 13:43

Thanks for the tips!

I got to try both of those tools soon. I'm not going to use ZBrush for this particular project anyway, because this needs to get finished in a few days. A simpler tool might just do the trick!

DoF

Post by DoF » 25 Mar 2010, 14:38

Squizmek wrote: I have heard maya's ncloth is the best, followed by syflex. xsi-cloth is not so good, don't use it [-x
Syflex in Softimage is an order of magnitude faster and more accurate than ncloth in Maya. The problem with Syflex is the lack of detailed documentation. I got started with Syflex in XSI with the help of the Digital Tutors Syflex for Maya kit. If you can bear to watch tutorials featuring the ugly, clunky and outdated Maya interface, your investment will pay dividends. The course covers all uses of Syflex, which behaves similarly in both packages. Believe me, Syflex has an incredibly powerful engine under the hood in SI. Have you tried the volume feature? Try wrapping a cushion object in a slightly larger Syflex object, then reduce it's volume to conform to the smaller cushion object - you will attain physically correct folds and wrinkles in very little time. The mantra to bear in mind when using Syflex is that scale is everything!
Use the Java calculator as a starting point which should reside here:
file:///C:/Softimage/XSI_7.0/Doc/Syflex/syflex_units.html
A room with twenty trillion corners is a sphere.

bell22

Post by bell22 » 03 May 2010, 07:34

Well, I use Syflex too. To me, it's the easiest way...don't know if there's any other method.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 20 May 2010, 10:54

can someone share please some detail on how to do this with Syflex? i'm stuck and catn really make it work, if there is few geometry on the object, wrinkles dont come out, if there is more geometry my SI freezes the simulation seems so heavy.

If anyone could help whats the basic steps to use it for this kind of effect would be awesome

Thanks a lot!