Some help stick and unsticking particles with collision?

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
adrencg

Some help stick and unsticking particles with collision?

Post by adrencg » 13 Jun 2014, 20:39

I have a simple setup which will represent the larger scene, once I figure out how this can be done....

I want to have the red balls sticking to a turbulent coil (which I already have set up with stick to location -- see image). When the green ball moves across the area, I want the red balls to become unstuck from the gray coil, and then stick to the green ball -- as if they're being picked up.

The ICE tree you see is as far as I got. I'd like to understand how something like this can work if anyone can spare some time and knowledge.

Here's the scene also...
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481 ... ontest.zip

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bullit

Re: Some help stick and unsticking particles with collision?

Post by Bullit » 13 Jun 2014, 21:20

Well might change to another state that doesn't have the stick to location with that sphere. So i would just put another state. It seems in your setup your trigger is doing nothing.

adrencg

Post by adrencg » 13 Jun 2014, 21:21

Bullit wrote:Well might change to another state that doesn't have the stick to location with that sphere. So i would just put another state. It seems in your setup your trigger is doing nothing.
haha, I know. I wasn't sure what to do next. This is where I'm lost.

xsisupport

Post by xsisupport » 13 Jun 2014, 21:54

// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

adrencg

Post by adrencg » 13 Jun 2014, 22:45

xsisupport wrote:Seems easy enough
Easy for Steve Blair. Thanks Mr Blair...going in my ICE notebook.

adrencg

Post by adrencg » 13 Jun 2014, 23:24

One more thing...after the second state is reached, where would a modify particle size be plugged to make the particles newly stuck to the ball scale down to zero over time?

Would one more state be needed? It seems like that resizing could be done in the second state node.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 15 Jun 2014, 04:41

Yes it could. I think you can use a counter, rescale that to what speed you want.

adrencg

Post by adrencg » 15 Jun 2014, 19:20

Ok, so here's the what I'm trying to get as an end result...

I have the balls being picked up by the large sphere, but they need to stay alive while stuck to the sphere for about short time (to be determined) and then delete. I've tried setting the age limit upon the first trigger, and then use a "delete particle" at execute at every frame in the following state. But that makes the particles fly away from the sphere.

What exactly could I do to make control the deletion of the particles after they have been "stuck" for a specified time? Please assume that I have no idea what I'm doing, because I barely do -- but hopefully I'll understand better afterwards. If you just say, "put a counter" or whatever I'll have no idea which port to plug it into -- and that's the problem. There seems to be 100 ways to get it wrong, but only one exact way to make it work the way I need.

This ice tree has it working almost correctly. The particles(red) get picked by the sphere and turn blue, but they will not delete. I can get them to delete as soon as the collision and pickup happens, but not to delay and then delete.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 15 Jun 2014, 21:25

Just guess-work here, not near Softimage right now:
You could try using a particle timer (edit: initialized when entering the second state) as a trigger for yet another state.
And give this new state the sole purpose of deleting the particle...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

adrencg

Post by adrencg » 16 Jun 2014, 05:30

I've tried everything I can think of, and I'm not getting the exact effect I'm looking for. I can make the particles delete when they stick -- but not delay before deletion.

There's something really simple I'm missing.

adrencg

Post by adrencg » 16 Jun 2014, 06:18

After banging my head against this some more, I've figured it out. One of my problems was that I didn't realize I could plug the stick to surface into both states. Also, learning how to use the timer got the correct effect.

Thanks for all the help pointing me in the right direction.