Fabric Engine - Paul Smith Tutorial

Discussions about migration to other software
Bullit

Fabric Engine - Paul Smith Tutorial

Post by Bullit » 22 Mar 2014, 19:30

I don't think i should put it here, since it is inside Softimage. What moderators think? Maybe in Softimage Tutorials?

I have literally JUST started, so this is very basic and my understanding quite shaky, but even after a day, I'm thrilled to make a simple Push deformer. Its exciting to think that any tool made in Splice can be used in Maya, Softimage, or any other splice enabled DCC.
I'd encourage anyone to learn this, as its not as hard as perhaps I make it look. With my current feeble knowledge, I'm willing to do my best to help anyone keen to learn. Hopefully from this simple start. It will develop into some cool tools over the next few months. If you can do ICE.. this is very similar, but just presented in a different way..
The cool thing is that Fabric seems to be heading toward a more ICE like way of doing things, but I think its great to understand the code behind it, and KL so far, seems MUCH easier to learn than python in XSI..
Apologies in advance to the Fabric team for any potenital misinformation.. I'm hoping that this is doing more good than harm

rray

Re: Fabric Engine - Paul Smith Tutorial

Post by rray » 22 Mar 2014, 19:48

I think it's ok to be here - Migration in this context is mostly about broadening the skillset, since only few (or so was my impression?) plan to completely leave Softimage behind.
Thanks for posting all these news.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

WolfSpinach

Re: Fabric Engine - Paul Smith Tutorial

Post by WolfSpinach » 24 Mar 2014, 12:13

This was really cool, I'm glad to see somebody learning from scratch since that would be me too :) Personally, I'm trying to wrap my head around Houdini since I know more place that have that in the pipeline already. It was cool to see GetPointPosition and SetPointPosition exist. It was scary to see that the Rescale has to be defined as a function - obviously that one's done but it's a pretty simple ICE node that I'd have no idea how to generate in code. Maybe somebody will burn through all the default ICE math nodes and release them :)

As for the migration aspect, I think this is very relevant. Fabric is designed for it's portability so I'd like to see what the limits of this are. Could you port that push deformer straight into Maya for instance?
Tom Kleinenberg - Previz/Layout Artist/Generalist. Any views expressed are my own.