Cache on enveloped objects!?

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
hidalgo

Cache on enveloped objects!?

Post by hidalgo » 27 Jan 2014, 21:10

Same old question, how do you apply a point cache file into an enveloped object in local space instead of global? after applying the cache to my object the mesh jumps back to his original position leaving the envelope....and me totally amazed.

thanks for the help

EricTRocks

Re: Cache on enveloped objects!?

Post by EricTRocks » 27 Jan 2014, 21:46

You shouldn't apply a cache to an envelope mesh. That's the whole point of caching, to remove the need for processing things like envelopes. You should apply the cache on the static geometry.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

hidalgo

Post by hidalgo » 27 Jan 2014, 21:50

well thats not totally true, in xsi you know better then me that for example you need to point cache facerobot in order to use it on an enveloped character, i am not using facerobot, but i have anyway a character with a facial animation done separately from the body, therefore i need to have an envelope and the the point cache.

its amazing that with KP point Cache, a 10 years old plugin for xsi i can do it and i can't with the built in cache reader, there should be a way to do it fast.

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 27 Jan 2014, 21:53

I see. Where does your cache operator live in the operator stack? I believe it should be below the envelope.
Eric Thivierge

hidalgo

Post by hidalgo » 27 Jan 2014, 21:59

well, thing is that i can't see any operator below or over the stack, with the exception of the mixeroperator (which should be the one) but putting it below the envelope seems to not affect it anyhow..

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 27 Jan 2014, 22:04

If its an ICE Cache try using the cache on file node to read and put the ICE operator just under the envelope operator. There may be more stuff going on with the mixer...
Eric Thivierge

hidalgo

Post by hidalgo » 27 Jan 2014, 22:08

actually i tried that too, but the enveloped mesh get somehow distorted as soon as i apply the .pc2 file, kind of weird..by now only kP works, but its really old and doesnt have any chance of visualizing the clip...

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 28 Jan 2014, 00:48

The icecache files don't read in locally afaik. Big bugbear of mine! You could apply the icecache to a separate head and read that head as a shape onto your enveloped mesh? Before now I've resorted to adding a lattice deformer over the top of a cached walk cycle in order to get it to move along a path.

hidalgo

Post by hidalgo » 28 Jan 2014, 08:33

that sound a bit tricky :D

at the moment Kp makes the job done, but as i said i am sure there is a "newer" and fresher approach to that!!