What if Softimage died?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics

Softimage is unofficially dead what would you do ?

Poll ended at 05 Oct 2013, 13:10

Switch to Maya (including LT) / Max
14%
Continue using Softimage for a few years to come
61%
Blender
6%
Houdini
13%
Modo
2%
Other
4%

Total votes: 96

MauricioPC

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by MauricioPC » 09 Nov 2013, 11:59

Hirazi Blue wrote:Sorry, but I'm getting very tired of all this "the community is too negative". It's not true, but if you only read this thread & even then do not read how passionate we all are about Softimage...

I agree. It's the same like saying the Max community is negative. If people simply didn't care for the software, at the first notice it was getting down, people would simply leave to use another software. What this is, is a thread to show AD that people like Softimage, want the software to continue being improved and updated so it can be used. And that's that.

If you want to call something negative, call Autodesk negative, as it purchased some of the best techs in the industry to not improve much. Okay, Maya is getting improved, but not everyone wants to use Maya.

I would love to use Softimage as my go to general software, but right now, Cinema 4D has that spot, as it's so easy to tackle a wide range of projects (from logo design, motion graphics, architectural, product, etc) in it. Could Softimage fight Cinema 4D? Of course it can, it's even better in my opinion. But some things should be improved (and were mentioned in this thread, but you would have to read the whole 44 page). :)

Falam

Post by Falam » 12 Nov 2013, 05:50

I suppose what works for you, if you can make income teaching Cinema for example, why wouldn't you jump ship ? :) Just don't stretch yourself to much, if you love Cinema I'd recommend putting all your time into it and less into Softimage lots of places use Cinema so won't be on short demand, same for Max or Maya.

gdebello

Post by gdebello » 20 Nov 2013, 00:27

I don't think Softimage will die out, at least not at my place of work. We use Softimage as our main package for games and animations. I work as a 3D Generalist for the DOD. We use Maya and Lightwave (better curve tools in Lightwave) to model some objects here and there but that is only during render times on Softimage. It is our best package for creating games, especially bringing the models into Unity 3D. We use it to composite small simple projects but larger ones it's AE. My only gripe with Softimage right now is the licensing issues and batch rendering. Can we please make it easier to batch render with a Standalone license using backburner. Like a batch render option like maya?

I don't think Softimage will die. If Lightwave can survive the years of 2004-until Rob Powers came in, Softimage can surely survive to. A negative forum can do bad things for people. The negativity at the Lightwave forum caused a lot of people to be angry with each other, shut down another forum (SpinQuad) and caused a lot of people in the industry (For Lightwave) to say things they probably didn't mean. The Battlestar Galactica team for Season 3 and 4.

Look at the developers of Modo, former Lightwave developers that were mad, upset or whatever you want to call it at Netwek, split off, made a good product (Modo) and also caused a lot of friendships broken. It sucked for a while especially working in Lightwave studios (Yes they exist) and it took a while to get through it. Lightwave has a bigger and stronger community just look at there forums, Softimage does not have as big as them.

Just my opinion. I work as a 3D Generalist and I use Softimage.
Glen
I use Softimage for game development. Is there really anything else?
http://www.gdebello.blogspot.com

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 20 Nov 2013, 11:17

gdebello wrote:If Lightwave can survive the years of 2004-until Rob Powers came in, Softimage can surely survive to.
The comparison to Lightwave is quite obviously slightly flawed. Newtek is a privately owned company and AFAIK Lightwave still is their "flagship" software product. As an independent company (or a subsidiary of some other company than Autodek), i.e. as a true attempt at competition to Maya and Max, I think Softimage might stand a (very) small chance at survival (people love to buy something that's not Autodesk). As the third generalist software in the Autodesk portfolio and considering the way Autodesk has positioned the software PR-wise since they bought it, I see its chances as being slightly more problematic to say the least.
:-ss ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 20 Nov 2013, 11:30

My current view is Softimage will available for years. However development on it besides bug fixes and and anything that gets paid for via autodesk consulting will be very small. People will use it for years to come as well. That being said without active development technology in the form of hardware and software advances will eventually make it less and less commercially viable. Lets hope 2015 proves us wrong and there is actually something being actively developed ;)
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 20 Nov 2013, 12:01

Just on a side note ... Autodesk has hosted the videos for the Expert Challenge series on the Area. Funny thing, this month, no Softimage Expert Challenge.

I've watched the 3ds Max one and the new PM, which seems like a great guy, stayed all the time reassuring users that the future is bright, that Autodesk changed perceptions about 3ds Max, that there's new love, etc etc. From what you could get, Open Subdiv is coming to Max, they are revisiting the whole 3ds Max and 3ds Max Design division and some other stuff. And ... that 3ds Max will continue development in all areas it is served (but that makes sense since people use it to Viz, Animation, Games and Films).

Maybe it's all talk, but if I were a 3ds Max users, I would be more hopeful that something is being made. They already have Tom Hudson (one of the creators of Max) working on some code for them. So they made a few changes.

Now ... wouldn't be great if Softimage PM made an Softimage Expert video and did the same thing? Reassured users, etc etc? But I guess that's not the case anymore.

Oh well ... damn AD!

gdebello

Post by gdebello » 20 Nov 2013, 12:39

Hirazi Blue wrote: Newtek is a privately owned company and AFAIK Lightwave still is their "flagship" software product.
They are an independent company but i think only until very recently Lightwave has become Newteks Flagship product. They make the tricaster which is used for television production which Lightwave was originally made for. That has been their major product for years. It does slow motion, instant replay and other live television broadcast scenarios. I guess it is different when dealing with public and private companies. I didn't think of it that way but that does change the way I think about it now. Thanks! :D

Glen

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 20 Nov 2013, 12:55

gonebadfx wrote:Just on a side note ... Autodesk has hosted the videos for the Expert Challenge series on the Area. Funny thing, this month, no Softimage Expert Challenge.

I've watched the 3ds Max one and the new PM, which seems like a great guy, stayed all the time reassuring users that the future is bright, that Autodesk changed perceptions about 3ds Max, that there's new love, etc etc. From what you could get, Open Subdiv is coming to Max, they are revisiting the whole 3ds Max and 3ds Max Design division and some other stuff. And ... that 3ds Max will continue development in all areas it is served (but that makes sense since people use it to Viz, Animation, Games and Films).

Maybe it's all talk, but if I were a 3ds Max users, I would be more hopeful that something is being made. They already have Tom Hudson (one of the creators of Max) working on some code for them. So they made a few changes.

Now ... wouldn't be great if Softimage PM made an Softimage Expert video and did the same thing? Reassured users, etc etc? But I guess that's not the case anymore.

Oh well ... damn AD!

ok, the recent Expert Challenge was really focused around the recent Extension Releases, and being as Softimage didn't have one, that's why it wasn't in this event.

As for Max, well personally I think alot was blown out of all proportion and I think it was just unfortunate how certain news and events were perceived by the userbase. You only have to look at the public numbers to see how important a product Max is to Autodesk. It's in every one of our Suite offerings and it's used in many different industries. As much as that's a good thing, it can also be bad thing as it's very hard to satisfy all that broad range of users. But I think Eddie summed things up very well during the event.

gdebello

Post by gdebello » 20 Nov 2013, 12:59

gonebadfx wrote:Just on a side note ... Autodesk has hosted the videos for the Expert Challenge series on the Area. Funny thing, this month, no Softimage Expert Challenge.

Oh well ... damn AD!
Was that the webinar from yesterday? I missed it, but remember the e-mail stated they were going to talk about Softimage ICE.

Glen

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 20 Nov 2013, 13:22

Bellsey wrote:

ok, the recent Expert Challenge was really focused around the recent Extension Releases, and being as Softimage didn't have one, that's why it wasn't in this event.

As for Max, well personally I think alot was blown out of all proportion and I think it was just unfortunate how certain news and events were perceived by the userbase. You only have to look at the public numbers to see how important a product Max is to Autodesk. It's in every one of our Suite offerings and it's used in many different industries. As much as that's a good thing, it can also be bad thing as it's very hard to satisfy all that broad range of users. But I think Eddie summed things up very well during the event.
The problem is there isnt a softimage event. Hasnt been for a while. Secondly why does there need to be an event for the Softimage PM to actually put something out there in a similar vein that would go a long way to reassure the userbase.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 20 Nov 2013, 13:28

gdebello wrote:

Oh well ... damn AD!
Was that the webinar from yesterday? I missed it, but remember the e-mail stated they were going to talk about Softimage ICE.

Glen
There was a webinar yesterday, but that had nothing to do with the Expert Challenge.
Yesterdays webinar was focused around particles and simulations in Maya, Max and Softimage.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 20 Nov 2013, 15:14

angus_davidson wrote:The problem is there isnt a softimage event. Hasnt been for a while. Secondly why does there need to be an event for the Softimage PM to actually put something out there in a similar vein that would go a long way to reassure the userbase.

I agree. It doesn't matter that Softimage didn't had an Extension, I think it would go a long way to hear the heads about Softimage and what Autodesk think of it.

What I really liked about the 3ds Max video was that the PM was very upfront and didn't shy away from the tough questions. I think everybody who use Softimage would like a similar approach from the Softimage PM.

Falam

Post by Falam » 04 Dec 2013, 05:51

Max to this day has features missing that Maya has put into there software. There are alot of religious max users.

ojo3D

Post by ojo3D » 04 Dec 2013, 11:01

Falam wrote:Max to this day has features missing that Maya has put into there software. There are alot of religious max users.
Yeah ... Max is a religion. :D

Anybody saw the event last night? 3December? Autodesk was going to stream it live, but it's to late at my time (1AM) to stay up and watch.

Falam

Post by Falam » 04 Dec 2013, 17:22

I knew a guy he knew Max so well, he was a former Softimage user not as long as some though, within two years he loved Max faithfully.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 04 Dec 2013, 18:18

Falam wrote:I knew a guy he knew Max so well, he was a former Softimage user not as long as some though, within two years he loved Max faithfully.
Usually you see people coming from 3ds Max and then loving the next software (Modo, Softimage or Cinema 4D). The other way around (from a 'better' software to Max) is harder to find.