Graphics Card

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
druitre

Graphics Card

Post by druitre » 02 Mar 2010, 15:03

I know you're supposed to use Quadro cards, but just for the record: who's running Softimage on a consumer card and what would be a good choice at this moment?

I bought a Geforce 8800GTS about two years ago, as far as I can see I've never had a problem with it. Now, I'm about to assemble a new system and in the meantime the landscape has changed drastically. None of the models that were sizzling hot in 2008 are even considered low-end today. I lean towards Nvidia because I've always used them and never had a problem with them. Also, I want CUDA.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Jasper

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Graphics Card

Post by Hirazi Blue » 02 Mar 2010, 17:40

Can't really help you there, sorry, but maybe you could start by looking at the Graphics Hardware Qualification document, that lists some info about consumer graphics cards as well
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

druitre

Post by druitre » 02 Mar 2010, 17:56

Thanks, but I looked at that list before posting and IMO it is very, very conservative. It does hardly any listing for Windows 7 (even for Quadro cards) and I can assure you my 2-year old consumer card and Softimage work perfectly on a Win7/64bits system. That's why I'm asking for user experience. If that's favourable, I'll take the risk of ignoring the official list.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 02 Mar 2010, 18:06

The lack of info about Window 7 might stem from the fact, that Softimage 2010 didn't officially support it yet... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

druitre

Post by druitre » 02 Mar 2010, 18:53

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. There's a difference between what AD officially supports and what will work. Not a defect on AD's side, just the way official support will work for any product. Even if a non-supported card will, in 99% of the cases, perform 99% as well as a card that has 100% official support, it will still be non-supported. Only user experience can tell other users anything about how well a non-supported car performs. Just as long as you remember you won't have support when it comes to solving problems.

As a Windows 7 user, for instance, I can tell you 7.01 works on that platform. Even though it's not supported. (not by me, either ;))