Color Polygon Loops

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
Falam

Color Polygon Loops

Post by Falam » 20 May 2013, 17:29

Is there a way to color, polygon loops on a mesh during modelling, identical to what Silo has ?

SamHowell

Re: Color Polygon Loops

Post by SamHowell » 20 May 2013, 19:29

I think you can change the colour of edge clusters. I have no access to Soft so I can't be sure.

Falam

Post by Falam » 20 May 2013, 23:36

Sets the display color of the cluster's components when the cluster is not selected. If a component belongs to more than one cluster, it uses the color of the last cluster created.
I change the color of the cluster, but the cluster color is not showing up in the viewport on the object ?

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 21 May 2013, 09:59

Go to the eyeball dropdown menu in the viewport and tick Unselected Clusters (except sample).

Falam

Post by Falam » 21 May 2013, 15:15

SamHowell wrote:Go to the eyeball dropdown menu in the viewport and tick Unselected Clusters (except sample).
This option was toggled on, when the object is unselected you don't see the colored cluster :(

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 22 May 2013, 09:02

It all depends on what you want to achieve exactly, but I wouldn't use "cluster materials" for this. Don't get me wrong, I'd still use clusters as such, as they are a good way to organize the data without breaking the normal workflow, but I think it's best to use the material nodes of the ICE Topology toolset to do the actual coloring/highlighting of the polygons, like I did in my TopoColors plugin (shameless plug of a shameless plug), mainly because they do not "interfere" with the "normal" material: you delete the ICE Tree and they're gone...

I'm thinking about constructing something along these lines (never a good sign) :-ss
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 22 May 2013, 10:51

Yeah, now I'm a bit confused. I thought you wanted to select edges and polygon loops to help as some kind of visual reference in the viewport. Is it actaully for rendering purposes? I think I misunderstood your question.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 22 May 2013, 10:56

The method I described in my earlier post definitively isn't meant for rendering either... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 22 May 2013, 11:09

@Hirazi. I just checked out TopoColors, it's VERY cool and very usefull. I don't know how I missed that one, I really could have used it on a job not so long ago.

Falam

Post by Falam » 22 May 2013, 15:56

Color polygon loops wouldn't be for rendering, only for visual aid in the viewport, I can't claim it as my idea (although I'd like to, put another one in the bag of Falams Idea :)) It is something I saw that Silo has within the software.