ICE - Sine Function Deform Object X-Axis - Help?!

Here you can find ICE tutorials and learning material
gl2748

ICE - Sine Function Deform Object X-Axis - Help?!

Post by gl2748 » 16 May 2013, 02:20

Hello. I am new to ICE and am having some trouble.

Objective: To make the blade of the sword deform along a sine wave, Ideally 1.5 wavelengths along the entire blade length. A similar objective might be to make a fish make a swimming motion with its body.
Problem: I am applying the ICE Tree as pictured. I cannot figure out why it is 'Crushing' The X values. The blade volume essentially collapses.

Request: Ideally a screenshot of the correct set up in an ICE tree. I have personally been working off:http://xsisupport.com/2009/11/17/sine-waves-in-ice/ And think my problems might stem from the geometry there being a grid...

THANKS!

rray

Re: ICE - Sine Function Deform Object X-Axis - Help?!

Post by rray » 16 May 2013, 02:29

I think you're off to a good start already,

you probably could go completely without the distance from center attribute

you'll want to add an offset to x depending on height y, so let y and z pass directly through like you did, but pass y also into your leftmost multiply node, adding it to the original x and then pluggin it into your scalars to vector's x
Last edited by rray on 16 May 2013, 02:37, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: second thoughts :)
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 16 May 2013, 02:34

You'll need to add this sine deformation to point position, I think that's all. Let's say, convert output of sinus to 3d vector, leaving Y and Z components empty (or zero, exactly) - then just add this to self.pointposition.

gl2748

Post by gl2748 » 16 May 2013, 03:57

Hi Mathaeus and RRay! Thanks for the speedy reply. My first ICE Compound. Thanks! Hope it's useful!

Matic

Post by Matic » 20 May 2013, 19:47

Congrats!

You can do a few things with this that might be interesting to you...

- You can remove the null entirely and just use point position. To control movement/position of the wave, add a phase shift value (just an 'add' node) prior to your frequency factor...

- You can also use a rescale node to make the effect fall off based on the y value. Try taking the "Y" and rescaling it from 1 to 0, and multiplying that with your amplitude or strength value and play with the rescale values. This way you can blend the effect to make the part where the sword nears the hilt stay as it was originally modeled.

- You can use a "case" node in your final compound to let the user choose between deforming on the x or z axis, or both, etc.

Always great to watch someone make their first tool, congrats and well done! Deformers are fun. :)