Wish page for Softimage 20xx....

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Draise

Re: Wish page for Softimage 20xx....

Post by Draise » 01 Apr 2013, 05:54

Superpositivo wrote:one..

For those situations when there's the need to work on SRT keyframes separately, that's pratically always, I hate everytime to switch on the timeline (and so I'm not speaking about Animation Editor or Dopesheet), to kinematics, marked parameters, scaling (that for some misterious reason it's impossibile to move the scale keyframes if not just in scaling mode or kinematics ) I always had this image in mind I think it's doable and highly useful that would change and speed up all those visual checks and adjustments expecially when there's a continue selection and keyframing of many animated objects one after the other.
Working, it displays the keyframes (SRT or XYZ) for the active trasform tool in the moment (in the image, Translate Tool is considered being active).
Is it too weird? Well, we are in the wish page, right?...

That's a great Gif, I'd love this feature also.

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 01 Apr 2013, 14:59

For 2015 I wish they´d show the Softimage Box on the AD main page...
I'm now part of an endangered species...

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 01 Apr 2013, 15:04

bottleofram wrote:
nixx wrote:
bottleofram wrote:One of these days...
That's not much different than how search/find is now. Only difference is it's in a separate pane instead of in-place.

And as for automatically "dropping" the node, what would happen if there are many nodes that start with the string you 're searching for ? How would it know when you 're done typing, so that it gives you the result(s) ?
It's just a quick chopped up screen recording, mate. It could be a standard nuke-like box for all i care.

What it does, though, is saves you valuable horizontal screen space and unnecessary mouse clicks/travel. If one was to go further, you could make "explore for attribute" redundant. For example:
  • hit tab > type "get d" > enter to autocomplete, type "self.pointpos" > enter to autocomplete and node is dropped
Now, this is not very useful since you have Get Point Position which would be easier to call up but what if you want to get a custom attribute. Or a weight map, or material etc. Setting gata would work the same way. Maybe you just hit tab and type "set data, self.tmp", and voila, you've got a standard temporary attribute to feed into the data you're debugging. After the first couple of months of exploring, all you do in ICE is getting data you know exactly where to find and setting it back exactly where you want.

As for multiple nodes available for a particular string... Obviously you'd need a dropdown list, maybe with those used most commonly given the priority....
luceric wrote:maya 2014's node editor has it.. :ymdevil:
maya 2013's node editor has it...
even blender has it.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

scaron

Post by scaron » 02 Apr 2013, 00:46

i have started something like this some time ago and i haven't had time to finish it.

https://github.com/caron/NodeSearchMenu

drop the file in a plugin directory, map this command to a key... launchNodeSearchMenu. i am using the tilde key just below escape. it requires an active tree on an object thats in focus of the ice tree view

what needs to be done is...
-finish 'fuzzy string search'
-index doesn't include built in nodes like get data at this time. it only shows you compounds
-remember last search

keep in mind even when these are done we dont have control over where the node shows up in the gui. it will most likely appear back at whatever the editor thinks is 0,0

s
Last edited by scaron on 05 Apr 2013, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 02 Apr 2013, 06:07

XSI 7.5 node editor had it.. O:-) (through an addon)

Look for XSI Tab Menu over at rray.de : ]

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 02 Apr 2013, 13:40

My whislist for Softimage 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020:
Can we have an integrated render engine? Thx.

lard

Post by lard » 02 Apr 2013, 16:46

^^where is the 'like' button^^

ace63

Post by ace63 » 02 Apr 2013, 16:55

In danger of repeating myself over and over again:

Setting ICE data on groups / ICETree branch mode.

I recently had to apply a deformer ICETree to 250 meshes at once - the only thing possible was to export the whole tree as a compound,
script the application of the compound to the meshes and link the important exposed parameters to custom parameters.
I had another script to delete all ICETrees created this way when I had to make changes to the original Tree - seriously
we need to be able to set data on multiple objects from a single tree.

grahamef

Post by grahamef » 02 Apr 2013, 19:37

scaron wrote:

i have started something like this some time ago and i haven't had time to finish it.

https://github.com/caron/NodeSearchMenu

drop the file in a plugin directory, map this command to a key... launchNodeSearchMenu. i am using the tilde key just below escape. it requires an active tree on an object thats in focus of the ice tree view

what needs to be done is...
-finish 'fuzzy string search'
-index doesn't include built in nodes like get data at this time. it only shows you compounds
-remember last search

keep in mind even when these are done we dont have control over where the node shows up in the gui. it will most likely appear back at whatever the editor things is 0,0

s

edit by owei: please use URL tags..!! Thanks..!!!
It's not quite the same, but did you know about Ctrl+F in the ICE tree? It puts the cursor in the search box, and even popsopen the preset manager if its not currently displayed.

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 02 Apr 2013, 19:42

scaron wrote:i have started something like this some time ago and i haven't had time to finish it.

[...]

keep in mind even when these are done we dont have control over where the node shows up in the gui. it will most likely appear back at whatever the editor things is 0,0

s
Hi Steven,

Yes, this is exactly the problem with XSI Tab Menu plugin which made me uninstall it pretty quickly. Even a slightly bigger ice tree will make it hard for you to locate newly created nodes. They need to be created at cursor position.

(i know its xsi's fault since it doesnt expose this to you)

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 02 Apr 2013, 20:29

Maximus wrote:My whislist for Softimage 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020:
Can we have an integrated render engine? Thx.
No kidding! I do think however that even 2020 is too optimistic judging by the current pace. I know Autodesk is really fast but only 6 years? Let's be reasonable... :ymdevil:

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 02 Apr 2013, 23:13

Quoted for full agreement:

I recently had to apply a deformer ICETree to 250 meshes at once - the only thing possible was to export the whole tree as a compound,
script the application of the compound to the meshes and link the important exposed parameters to custom parameters.
I had another script to delete all ICETrees created this way when I had to make changes to the original Tree - seriously

There is a thread about dead Lagoa . Recent lack of core developments in ICE seems that is not only Lagoa looking dead.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 03 Apr 2013, 05:13

Bullit wrote:Quoted for full agreement:

Could pehaps the new ICE Overrides be able to deal with those situations?

ace63

Post by ace63 » 03 Apr 2013, 11:10

No I don't think so - working on a single ICETree which affects multiple objects would be so much more intuitive and speed up working.
There already is an unsupported ICE Branch Mode which can be enabled through an environment variable. Haven't tried it yet - heard
on the mailing list that it crashes all the time.

Helli

Post by Helli » 03 Apr 2013, 12:27

ace63 wrote:In danger of repeating myself over and over again:

Actually there is a more easy way.
In the Ice Tree und User Tools you find the command "add operator to menu".
If you use this one it's like the thickness operator in the menu. You can just select multible objects and apply the operator. For changing values on multiple objects just work as with every other property (multi selection mode).

For changes you would need to "only" change the compound this operator is using and every operator would be updated.

ace63

Post by ace63 » 03 Apr 2013, 13:09

Yet it only works for a single compound which makes this method a total slowdown.