SI2014 - WARNPYTHON3K and future Python?

Discussions concerning programming of SOFTIMAGE©
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

SI2014 - WARNPYTHON3K and future Python?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 27 Mar 2013, 10:36

In the SDK documentation for SI2014 one can find (among other things) two fun little facts about Python.
The first, the "upgrade" to Python v2.7.3 doesn't need much commenting IMHO.
But the second fun fact is the introduction of an environment variable called "WARNPYTHON3K".
Additionally, a new WARNPYTHON3K environment variable can be set to 1 to generate a warning in the script log for features that will not work or work differently in Python 3.x.
(Quoted from here)

Does the inclusion of this new environment variable imply Softimage will be moving to Python 3 sooner rather than later. And if so, how will such a move take place. Will we "wake up one day" to find Python 2.x support completely gone (edit: like the sudden announcement 32 bit OS's weren't supported anymore)?
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

EricTRocks

Re: SI2014 - WARNPYTHON3K and future Python?

Post by EricTRocks » 27 Mar 2013, 14:33

I don't think it implies an immediate move but maybe more of a stepping stone in that direction. I'm sure some studios / pipelines already implement it so maybe it's just a safety feature.

Regarding the end to 32-bit support, honestly who uses 32-bit any more? If you do and are serious about 3D you need to upgrade ASAP! :p
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 27 Mar 2013, 14:39

:-j
My point about 32 bit wasn't about it being in any way the wrong/illogical way (as I do think its logical to make the move to x64 exclusively), my point about 32 bit was about the suddenness of its announcement (quite shortly before the whole 2014 circus got going - they could have easily announced this in for example December last year), as I fear the Python 3 deal will be one, we simply will read about first in the next(?) SDK docs. I would imagine all Python developers might want to know beforehand.

luceric

Post by luceric » 27 Mar 2013, 14:45

there is a lot of resistance to python 3k at the studios. Pipelines, Linux platforms that need to be changed, the foundry and sidefx still being on python 2.6. I think this would be a very careful move especially if you could not run both. After all, Autodesk isn't updating python for its own internal benefit, they would be doing it for clients.

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 27 Mar 2013, 14:55

Well I think it may also be about their inability to announce new features / changes to software outside of a few months from release. Even still, they have done this stuff in the past with the old particle system. They have all kinds of data they can use to see what % of their user base is still on 32-bit as well and I'm sure it's a very small % in with that a move like this isn't so big.
Eric Thivierge

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 28 Mar 2013, 13:00

You might be right about Python and Softimage's inability to discuss future features, although the possible magnitude of such a shift makes me hope that they will treat this differently.
On the side-topic of 32 bit, however - as I only used it as an example - I would have thought they could have handled it like they did with the announcement of the "end" of Vista. That was announced in January 2012 IIRC, well before a new release...
;)

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 28 Mar 2013, 13:37

Not sure if the end of Vista was an official statement or whether it just came out from the cracks? Either way I'd hope they would have done their homework and ensured they didn't screw anyone royally. Then again if you're on subscription you still have access to older version. :P

They can't change to Python3 within 1 release and since the majority of the industry is still on 2.x I don't see it as anything that is going to come very soon at all.
Eric Thivierge

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 28 Mar 2013, 13:53

C'mon, you don't have to doubt everything I claim... :D
(Smilie denoting me not taking it all too seriously, BTW)

This looks like a nice official statement to me:
Microsoft Windows 7 and Windows Vista Compatibility - Microsoft Windows Vista Support FAQ
(and no, there doesn't seem to be a publication date on that page,
but that one I gathered from the start date of this thread)

edit: added full title...

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 28 Mar 2013, 14:00

Sorry I wasn't doubting more I couldn't remember. Thanks for digging that up. :)
Eric Thivierge