Spehrical etc. Rendering ...

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
Frank1000

Spehrical etc. Rendering ...

Post by Frank1000 » 24 Oct 2012, 01:33

Hi,
I was looking into rendering my scene as a spherical image or a custom shape image, for example a capsule (cylinder with half spheres on top and bottom). I found a great post from ZEN to use the RenderMap feature.
I use Rendermap to create cubemaps from a scene by baking a subdivided cube with 100% reflection.

You can use the same technique for Env Maps using a sphere.

-Get poly sphere, give it a good amount of subdivisions. 32x24. SubD level 2 or 3.
-Give it a constant material, color black, reflection white (100%)
-Give it a spherical UV projection.
-Give it a RenderMap property, Set your resolution. For a spherical environment, its best to have a 2:1 since on a sphere U is twice as long as V. So use 2048 x 1024 or something like that.
-Set type to "Surface Color & Illumination". Enable all surface properties. (this enables/disables props in scene items that will be baked, so disabling shadows means no shadows in your enviromap).
-Hit regenerate maps and it will bake your sphere map.

SuperSampling sometimes gives artifacts so what i rather do is just leave it at one, and bake a map 2x or 4x bigger than i want, and shrink it down in photoshop using filtering. (btw this is what supersampling actually does). This is sometimes faster than supersampling anyways.

You can also apply an environment node to your constant material so something renders in any empy background areas you might have. This will then bake into empty areas of the EnvMap.
I did all that, but the render comes out completely black.
Any idea how to get this working ?

Also I wanted to ask if there is a way to use this technique with the Maxwell Renderer ?

Regards,
Frank

Mathaeus

Re: Spehrical etc. Rendering ...

Post by Mathaeus » 24 Oct 2012, 17:58

hello
I've used almost the same method a lot, successfully.
Perhaps you'll want to enable reflection in Render Map ppg, it's disabled in your screenshot. If you have some lens shader on render camera/pass, there's chance for conflict, because Render Map *is* a especial lens shader.
BTW you can get the same thing by using some spherical lens shader on camera, like Lume Wraparound or so.
Maxwell and other render engines, it depends on level of implementation. It's up to developers of external render engine to provide support for render-mapping. If they didn't, you can't enable the feature, that's it.

Frank1000

Post by Frank1000 » 24 Oct 2012, 19:05

thx Mataeus,
do you mean this reflection checkbox : ?
That one is checked, didn't find another one.

Ya at Maxwell I already got stated that it is not supported ... hmp. Now trying to work out stitching some shots together, or render 1 pixel wide sections and align them automatically in post-pro.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 24 Oct 2012, 22:41

yeah, that one. Well it seems that one should not be checked.

Frank1000

Post by Frank1000 » 25 Oct 2012, 02:42

aah works ... was confused "check to disable" ... my reflex was check to enable.

unfortunately Maxwell does not support camera mapping. I'm trying out camera animation and stitching the pictures together.

thx

Frank1000

Post by Frank1000 » 17 Feb 2013, 00:16

Hi Mathaeus,
I was recycling this method to create a the outline of an object as a RenderMap to reuse as texture, but though i inverted the polygons, i wasn't getting the shape of the object on the RenderMap of the surrounding culindric object yet ... it's always coming out black.

Do you have a tip for me what i should check ?

Frank1000

Post by Frank1000 » 17 Feb 2013, 00:24

ok just got it working by just giving the object to be projected anto the RenderMap a constant material. That way it started to be shown on the RenderMap.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 17 Feb 2013, 02:38

Maxwell has its own screen mapping, its in the global options of the renderer in the "Environment" tab. After you enable "Use Environment" you have the checkbox under background layer "Screen Mapped".

note that Maxwell wants only lat/long hdri images and the width should be twice the height.

http://support.nextlimit.com/display/ma ... d+Lighting
Last edited by Maximus on 19 Feb 2013, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

Saturn

Post by Saturn » 19 Feb 2013, 12:48

what about using 6 camera with a fov of 90 deg ?
render a square image of each camera pointing to the 6 direction ( front, left, right, back, top, bottom ) and sticth them to make a cubic projection and if you need convert it to spherical projection

Frank1000

Post by Frank1000 » 19 Feb 2013, 13:19

it worked fine in the meantime, just had to change the material to constant, due to no light in scene