ice strands getting through

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
derMars

ice strands getting through

Post by derMars » 11 Dec 2009, 15:52

Hi,

I'm new to ice, and I was experimenting with strands. Could it be done, that strands don't go through each other. Here is a rendering, so you probably could better understand my problem:

Is this possible? Like I said I'm new to this, and I couldn't figure out how to fix this. I would be glad for any hint, link, tutorial or so. :)

thank you
mars

edit: here is my ice-tree so far

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: ice strands getting through

Post by Hirazi Blue » 12 Dec 2009, 17:18

I don't know if this applies to strands, but the only way I've found so far to check for interparticle collisions was by turning the ICE Particles into "ICE Rigid Bodies"...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

derMars

Post by derMars » 12 Dec 2009, 17:31

Hey,

thanks for your suggestion, I tried this yesterday. Now the Particles, which are the guides for the strands, dont collide; but unfortunately this has no effect on the strands. Obviously this is a difficult task, I thought there is a simple way. If I anyhow figure out how it works I'll post it.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 13 Dec 2009, 13:48

Maybe you could create your own collision detection based on the StrandPosition-Attribute, as you can not only read, but apparently also write to the Attribute-Array. This, however, goes (way) beyond my own - very limited - ICE skills... :D
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

derMars

Post by derMars » 13 Dec 2009, 17:00

hehe, okay. sounds like a good idea, but my ICE-knowledge doesn't go that far, either. there is so much to learn for me in ice.

thanks
mars

dwigfor

Post by dwigfor » 19 Dec 2009, 02:46

I haven't gone thru the vines growing ice tutorial yet; only browsed it. It appears in the first picture that the vines grow over on top of each other.. Hopefully this will help you - http://www.claudeetclaudine.com/softima ... y_Step.pdf