Animation Null on Axis ?

Discussions about animating in SOFTIMAGE©
Falam

Animation Null on Axis ?

Post by Falam » 20 Dec 2012, 05:03

I'm trying to animate a null XX number of degrees on a axis (y) using math in the local transform. My attempts laid out are all the wrong math to create a perfect shape.

EricTRocks

Re: Animation Null on Axis ?

Post by EricTRocks » 20 Dec 2012, 05:12

This is a very vague question. Could you provide a better description or maybe some simplistic diagrams of what you're looking to do? Also please state what you've tried already that hasn't worked.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

Falam

Post by Falam » 20 Dec 2012, 05:30

EricTRocks wrote:This is a very vague question. Could you provide a better description or maybe some simplistic diagrams of what you're looking to do? Also please state what you've tried already that hasn't worked.
Probably due that it's late, more info to come.

Falam

Post by Falam » 25 Dec 2012, 15:16

EricTRocks wrote:This is a very vague question. Could you provide a better description or maybe some simplistic diagrams of what you're looking to do? Also please state what you've tried already that hasn't worked.
Sorry, you're going to have to rotate the image (180). I want to animate a null moving along a spiral curve/coil curve, that you see in the image. What I'm focusing on is creating a curve that rotates 360+ degrees on the Y axis. I've tried the per-defined curve that is within Softimage, I've tried creating my own curve but I can't get it consistent vertically on the Y, only flat, which is easy draw a spiral / coil in the top view, when I try to get that curve to spiral also in the Y (vertically), while keeping it clean (nice flow), I can't, it may be easy, I dunno. If technique is shown that I over looked it would be a blessing.

dwigfor

Post by dwigfor » 26 Dec 2012, 04:44

How about creating primitive curve spiral, path constrain null to it, and animate path %.

All math would use trigonometry: something like x= cos(a), y=sin(a). Multiply that by radius * scalar (1 animated to 0) to spiral in.

I'm on Christmas break, so that's the best I can do off the top of my head.

Falam

Post by Falam » 26 Dec 2012, 05:54

dwigfor wrote:How about creating primitive curve spiral, path constrain null to it, and animate path %.

All math would use trigonometry: something like x= cos(a), y=sin(a). Multiply that by radius * scalar (1 animated to 0) to spiral in.

I'm on Christmas break, so that's the best I can do off the top of my head.
I didn't mention all the possibilities I tried, that was one of them :) The problem was getting the curve like a coil shape, as I said unless it's easy and I'm missing a step otherwise it's been a real headache for me :(

As seen in this image.

dwigfor

Post by dwigfor » 26 Dec 2012, 14:47

I guess I am still clueless on what you are trying to achieve... Is this related to the coil modeling thread from awhile back? Are you trying to model a telephone cord?? Animate it?? I'm so lost with 3/4 of your posts... And I think others have mentioned the same in the past.

Please provide a clear, specific description of what you are trying to achieve. What is your end game?

Falam

Post by Falam » 26 Dec 2012, 15:04

dwigfor wrote:I guess I am still clueless on what you are trying to achieve... Is this related to the coil modeling thread from awhile back? Are you trying to model a telephone cord?? Animate it?? I'm so lost with 3/4 of your posts... And I think others have mentioned the same in the past.

Please provide a clear, specific description of what you are trying to achieve. What is your end game?
My end game is related to the coil modeling thread from a while back, why I referenced the image in this post :) I thought I was clear :) I've made many attempts on how it was done, without writing a list of everything I did, I don't remember, but have faith that I tried alot of possibilities. :)

AceMastermind

Post by AceMastermind » 27 Dec 2012, 03:37

Are you saying all the help provided by others in this thread didn't help you?
This image provided by Mathaeus shows you how to easily model it:
Hidden content: [ Show ]
then to animate it just deform by curve as in your image (the one shown passing through the geometry).

@Admins
Wouldn't it be better to rename the 'Nudity' tag to 'Hide' instead? Then it could be a universal means of hiding large or potentially offensive images or walls of text.

Moderator edit: Good idea, thanks for the suggestion! I have added a more general hideme tag as I wanted to keep the nudity tag for compatibility reasons. I've edited your post, so you're officially the first to use it. - HB

Falam

Post by Falam » 27 Dec 2012, 04:50

AceMastermind wrote:Are you saying all the help provided by others in this thread didn't help you?
This image provided by Mathaeus shows you how to easily model it:
Nudity warning: [ Show ]
then to animate it just deform by curve as in your image (the one shown passing through the geometry).

@Admins
Wouldn't it be better to rename the 'Nudity' tag to 'Hide' instead? Then it could be a universal means of hiding large or potentially offensive images or walls of text.
I tried that method from that thread, it worked, not want I exactly wanted, although a good technique. Why I'm focusing on the second method from that thread and I want to figure it out, it's bugging me besides then I'll also have my model mesh complete as well :)

AceMastermind

Post by AceMastermind » 27 Dec 2012, 08:50

If the first method worked for you then you should already have a complete mesh, the result looked exactly like the image you posted. :-\ If that isn't what you wanted then you must give a detailed explanation of what you do want or else i'm afraid no one can help you. What is this second method you mean, the displacement map method? You stated in the other thread that Mathaeus' method is what you were aiming for.

Kerro Perro

Post by Kerro Perro » 27 Dec 2012, 14:21

Ok just to help out the people trying to help out: i think he's trying to do Jesse's technique on the last page of that thread: http://www.si-community.com/community/v ... 5&start=20

If i'm right then i really don't know why he just didn't link to that straight away or just bumped that thread :-\

But i may be wrong...

Falam

Post by Falam » 27 Dec 2012, 14:31

Kerro Perro wrote:Ok just to help out the people trying to help out: i think he's trying to do Jesse's technique on the last page of that thread: http://www.si-community.com/community/v ... 5&start=20

If i'm right then i really don't know why he just didn't link to that straight away or just bumped that thread :-\

But i may be wrong...
I am trying to do Jesse's technique that is why I posted one of his images. I'm surprised no one related the image with the post.

@AceMastermind - The first method didn't work out for me, I did say it worked out, not exactly what I wanted although I did praise the technique :)
Last edited by Falam on 27 Dec 2012, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.

Kerro Perro

Post by Kerro Perro » 27 Dec 2012, 14:45

edit: post removed due to unnecessary sarcasm ;)

druitre

Post by druitre » 28 Dec 2012, 13:17

Falam, what Jesse was explaining in the other thread is waaaaay more simple than what you seem to have concluded from it. Just take two nulls, make one the child of the other and move it a bit on the X. Keyframe the first null on Y-rotation and the second on Y-translation. You should see that the second null moves up while circling the first > thus describing a spiralling path. Plot null to curve, and you're set.

Basically, what it is is just using an animation to create a curve. After that, use the curve as one of the inputs in power extrude or similar.
Attachments
create_curve.rar
(88.6 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

Falam

Post by Falam » 28 Dec 2012, 18:32

druitre wrote:Falam, what Jesse was explaining in the other thread is waaaaay more simple than what you seem to have concluded from it. Just take two nulls, make one the child of the other and move it a bit on the X. Keyframe the first null on Y-rotation and the second on Y-translation. You should see that the second null moves up while circling the first > thus describing a spiralling path. Plot null to curve, and you're set.

Basically, what it is is just using an animation to create a curve. After that, use the curve as one of the inputs in power extrude or similar.
Thank you, I got it to work B-) I couldn't understand Jesse method. I did get the script to work as well, funny when I ran the script the the other day, I tested it in JS, ignored VB Script and thought, maybe I should test in Python, naaa. :-?

What other tool is there similar to Power Extrude ? I have my results, except one thing, using Power Extrude can I create a coil around a curve ? The Bend Operator won't work for me, cause I want more control over how it deforms. :ymdaydream: