Cloning help!!!

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
ximage

Cloning help!!!

Post by ximage » 25 Nov 2009, 21:04

hey guys and gals

ok, so i need some help when cloning points.

lets say... I have one point and i clone him and move the clone within another state. what is the easiest was to reference that clone of that point. its so i can get data about both the cloned point and it parent point as it would be?

hope that makes sense?

im thinking on trying to do it by the ID to location node. but im stumped from there on in.

cheers

Daniel

julius

Re: Cloning help!!!

Post by julius » 26 Nov 2009, 12:28

Don't understand what you mean... Can you illustrate?

ximage

Post by ximage » 26 Nov 2009, 13:10

il try and explain it better.

so i have a bunch of points, these points are gonna be cloned once. the cloned points are going to be put into another state so they can be simulated. while the original point stay in the first state.

what i want to do is, be able to relate the infomation of the cloned points to the one it was cloned from, so I can get a vector from the parent point to the cloned Point.

this vector will then be used to determine rotation for the original point.

does this make a little more sense??

Daniel

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 26 Nov 2009, 21:44

Can you just take direction vector from Self.PointPosition to Self.EmitLocation>PointPosition, and apply that to half of cloned points (or just to half of points, without cloning), keeping them 'fixed' at emit location. Here is how it's look like when it's applied with separated ICE tree, in *post* simulation region. First, simulated ICE tree is just ordinary one, that you get by Create>EmitParticles from Selection. Perhaps you may be able to do the same with states, just in one ICE tree.

ICE tree: http://www.matkovic.com/anto/temp/direc ... m-emit.png

PS: in short, I think it may be better to save attributes (position, direction) for everything in point context, at the end you just choose where to apply them.

ximage

Post by ximage » 02 Dec 2009, 10:55

Hey Mathaeus

cheers for the reply. i just had a go at this an i cant seem to get the orientation to work. so the ice tree you showed was the one in the post simulation stack??

i dont know if this will work in states as the ID of the point change. i dont know though.

when i get a bit more time i will defo test states.

maybe i just get it to correspond to the pointID plus the size of the total number of points, which in turn should get the point that was cloned??

cheers

Daniel