Strand twist question

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Victorcg

Strand twist question

Post by Victorcg » 09 Nov 2009, 17:38

Hello.
Just can't understand the reason, why the twisted strands become straight with time? I want them to be twisted all the time of simulation.
And why they have linear interpolation instead of cubic. Can I change it?
Thank You.

Mathaeus

Re: Strand twist question

Post by Mathaeus » 10 Nov 2009, 21:03

Victorcg wrote:Hello.
Just can't understand the reason, why the twisted strands become straight with time? I want them to be twisted all the time of simulation.
If you want to keep deformation, you need to apply it in post-simulation mode, by using a new ICE tree. Just in similar way as keeping deformations on meshes, simulated with Syflex or SI Cloth.
What kind of strand. For lofting shapes along strands, there is adaptive tesselation. For segments-MR hair primitives, as far as I know, there is no any interpolation, but you can create your own. For example, you can use 'Fitted Bezier Curve' compound from Phil Pack, then you build a new strand which using strand positions of original one, as control points for bezier curve.

Victorcg

Post by Victorcg » 10 Nov 2009, 22:01

Mathaeus wrote:
Victorcg wrote:Hello.
If you want to keep deformation, you need to apply it in post-simulation mode, by using a new ICE tree. Just in similar way as keeping deformations on meshes, simulated with Syflex or SI Cloth.
What kind of strand. For lofting shapes along strands, there is adaptive tesselation. For segments-MR hair primitives, as far as I know, there is no any interpolation, but you can create your own. For example, you can use 'Fitted Bezier Curve' compound from Phil Pack, then you build a new strand which using strand positions of original one, as control points for bezier curve.

Thank You!!!Where can I read about both of the cases of my second question (about curvature)? :)
I was talking about lofting shapes along strand in my second question.They have corners and I want them smooth

P.S. Sorry for my english.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 10 Nov 2009, 23:25

Victorcg wrote: Thank You!!!Where can I read about both of the cases of my second question (about curvature)? :)
Something like commented part of ICE tree. Compounds are from Phil Pack. Keep in mind that this will change strand count, so attributes like variable strand size won't work anymore, they have to be created again. If you simulate strands, again, apply this with separate ICE tree, in post-simulation region.

P.S. It's good idea to set the new strand count as a multiplier of original one, like Self.StrandCount * 2, or 3, so on.

Victorcg

Post by Victorcg » 11 Nov 2009, 07:45

Thank You again. Just couldn't find free time to look inside Phil's pack.

Victorcg

Post by Victorcg » 18 Nov 2009, 16:58

And here is another question. Can I make strand shape like on thr picture, for example. Talking another words, can I loft the shape of srand from different shapes?
Attachments
ex1.jpg
ex1.jpg (37.75 KiB) Viewed 1214 times