collaborative project?

Discussions about si-community.com. You can post here as a guest.

collaborative project?

Poll ended at 31 Aug 2009, 21:34

YES, 100% intarested
17%
NO, 100% NOT intarested
8%
YES, but depends on the project
75%

Total votes: 12

opentarget

collaborative project?

Post by opentarget » 24 Aug 2009, 21:34

In the "where do we go from here" thread I mentioned the idea of a possible collaborative project for the community to work on.
I know that some other forums have tried and some succeeded and some dwindled out to nothing but i wondered if the interest might be here in this new community?
I think that it would be good way to build up a sense of community in the forum, also it will help develop peoples skills along the way.
so id appreciate if yous took a second to take the poll so we can see if it would be worth our while developing the idea.
Also any comments are welcome! Poll running for 7 days.
Ps: I would like to stress that the project will be one that is achievable in a community based way and we will not go for a mad overly ambitious piece that is un achievable.

thanks a million,

Kev.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: collaborative project?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 24 Aug 2009, 22:44

As I stated in the "other" thread, I like the idea... :-bd
Might even flush some lurkers out of hiding ;).

My question, however, would be: along which lines are you thinking/what do you envision?
What kind of project would/should this eventually become? :-?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

opentarget

Post by opentarget » 24 Aug 2009, 22:48

well once we see the level of intarest we can decide what way to take it.
this being a community based project i think that every step should be based around what the community thinks ie every step could be decided by polls?
that being said...i think that leaders would need to be appointed to keep the project in order.
Hirazi Blue wrote: What kind of project would/should this eventually become? :-?
again i cant stress enough that it needs to be a project that will actually be finihed, no point starting and not being able to finish due to being overly ambitious. would yous agree?

Grubber

Post by Grubber » 25 Aug 2009, 10:17

100% interested! Never took part in anything similar. I think it would be good experience.

opentarget

Post by opentarget » 25 Aug 2009, 15:51

Grubber wrote:100% interested! Never took part in anything similar. I think it would be good experience.
me nether, i think it would be cool. glad to see that there is some intarest already! :ymparty:

bryitis

Post by bryitis » 29 Aug 2009, 03:34

I voted "Yes, but depends...."

I have to be honest, unless its something awesome, interest could wane... community projects are great, but they have to inspire people to stay strong with them.

i tend to support inspiring works which are:
A) artistically ambitious (or original)
B) technically impressive

here in the SI Community i'm sure we have the talent for both of those aspects.

But let me make a suggestion, to help kick start this thing. Most collaborative projects don't get done because everyone says "ready, set, brainstorm..."... someone will have to take the lead with an idea that they, personally, are willing to put a lot into... because the truth is, somebody will... or it won't get done.

Someone needs to carry the torch and hold the vision together for the project, and then if they gain the support and help from the rest of us... it'll turn into a collaborative project we can all be proud of.

With that said I would suggest that people go ahead and dream up what that project should be, and pitch it. Just be willing to Lead, or be willing to hand it over to someone who will.

But yeah, something awesome... I'm in.

My Strong skills:
-Character Setup
-Storyline Blocking, Writing
-Animation
-Modeling
-Sound Design, Composition, Mastering

opentarget

Post by opentarget » 30 Aug 2009, 16:31

thanks for the reply bryitis,
I 100% agree with your thoughts on the project, I personally will step up as the project leader if the community agrees...but i recon a group of leaders would be better to make it more of a democracy so one person doesn't have to much power over the project. A strict quality control is necessary to keep the project coherent and consistent. This will help newer artist develop their skills and will be beneficial to the project as a whole.
so far we have a few people interested in the idea of a collaborative project and i think if we start and others see that work is being done then we will be able to coax others onto the project.

as for ideas of what project we should make, id love to get people to pitch ideas that we can all vote on and then the one with most votes will be the one to roll with, this way its a group choice that everyone will be happy to work on.

It is a huge undertaking and will take time and effort to realise, but will be totally worth it when we pull through and have a stunning showpiece for both the individuals working on it and the community itself.

first things first, if everyone who has expressed interest could let me know what there areas of experiences is in, and also maybe a few words on what personally they would like to get from the project.

Helli

Post by Helli » 04 Sep 2009, 11:48

We tried to to a community project months ago. But it was as it is with most of those projects. First everyone was excited but at the end of the day nothing was done.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Sep 2009, 12:19

@helli - Perhaps you should add "[we tried] on another forum" ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Helli

Post by Helli » 04 Sep 2009, 13:07

Yea sure, it was nother forum, but to be honest I think those community projects don't really work out.

opentarget

Post by opentarget » 06 Sep 2009, 10:19

perhaps the last project you worked on was an over ambitious piece?
can you send a link to the wip thread for it?